Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Football memories

Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Tue 8th Jan 2013, 13:31
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Unfortunately, I am old enough to remember Ken Wagstaff and Raich Carter. Ken spent his playing career at Mansfield Town and Hull City football clubs. In 2000, club fans of both Mansfield Town and Hull City voted Wagstaff their club's player of the century - the only player to be named by two football league clubs. During club centenary celebrations in 2004 he was voted "The greatest player to play for Hull City AFC" by supporters. Amazingly once again he was voted for by both Mansfield and Hull City fans as "all-time favourite player" in 2007.

I always thought he should have gone to a big club in the 60's - like West Brom....
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Sun 6th Jan 2013, 19:51
Local Group: Lakeland
A bizarre experience today. We Skyped our family in Albuquerque today to find them watching a live FA Cup match on TV between Liverpool and a club they had never heard of called Mansfield Town. I was able to enlighten my soccer mad American grandson on some of the history of the club. I grew up in Mansfield and spent a distressingly large proportion of my youth braving the wind and rain in the North Stand (uncovered of course) at Field Mill in the early 60s in the days of Ken Wagstaff, Lindy Delapenha and "Killer" Phillips under Raich Carter's management.
Brought back a few memories.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law