Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Convertible trousers?

Author: Rose Hakin
Posted: Fri 11th Jan 2013, 11:30
Local Group: Northumbria
Hi Peter. Hopefully a pair of wet trousers wouldn't need much load bearing capacity :)
Thanks for the link Armorel :)
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Sat 5th Jan 2013, 21:54
Local Group: Sherwood
Here's a similar clip
http://www.castleoutdoors.com/products/nite-ize-s-biner (although I tend to just push socks through whatever straps or fastenings the rucksack has)
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Sat 5th Jan 2013, 19:25
Local Group: East Lancashire
Quote:
Note :These clips are not load bearing and are NOT, we repeat NOT suitable for climbing or caving.

so there you have it folks...

doesn't mention hang gliding, base jumping, or parachuting though... ;)
Posted: Sat 5th Jan 2013, 14:37
Out of stock unfortunately but thanks for the link. I will look around for similar ones
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Fri 4th Jan 2013, 21:56
Local Group: Mid Wales
You can't have too many of these little fellows for hanging "bits and pieces" off a rucksack, always handy to have a few available....
http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16304&category_id=250
Posted: Thu 3rd Jan 2013, 0:44
Sorry Peter I think I am repeating myself from another thread about the insoles :/
Posted: Thu 3rd Jan 2013, 0:40
There is such good advice coming from members which makes me wish I had joined earlier. Only people who have actually done walking know about the minutiae of it all. So how do you fasten your washing to your rucksack? Several walkers have said this is the way to go.

I can make a couple of recommendations about toothpaste and blisters. I was recommended superfeet insoles and have not had a blister since. I did the Dales Way using them & didn't have any foot problems at all. They are quite expensive but when you compare that to the cost of an extra rest day because of blisters they are pretty cost effective.

You can get 5g toothpaste refill sets on Amazon or big chemists sell small "travel" tubes.
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Mon 31st Dec 2012, 23:34
Local Group: East Lancashire
Hi again Rose.

Just Google 'lightweight backpacking kit list'

Some of the sites are not very useful, but some give food for thought.

Remember, every gram that you carry that you don't need is adding to your burden, but don't skimp on safety...

For example, you may wish to take toothpaste - I did - but take an almost empty tube so you just have enough... and cut half the handle off the toothbrush.

I ran in shorts, and had tracksters for "evening wear".

You only need to take one pair of running - trekking shoes (you choose - I used Innov8). Take plastic bags so that when you put clean dry socks on, the plastic bags stop the dampness from your shoes from wetting your socks/feet in the evening. Wash your socks and let them dry on the outside of your rucksack as you walk during the next day (tie them on well, you don't want to lose them...). If they are a bit damp, its not the end of the world...

Any kit you are going to use/take, you must try out before the off.

And I would take plenty of first aid kit, including blister pads, and dressings etc. They don't weigh very much, and the shops can be few and far between, Not sure I'd bother with a triangular bandage though... unless you plan to break your arm and carry on walking... ;)
Posted: Mon 31st Dec 2012, 15:54
Thanks for the reply. I suspected they might chafe which is partly why I have held back in buying some really. Maybe shorts is a bit optimistic on the high ground of the Pennine Way anyway. I'll just have to hope for regular laundry facilities to wash what I do take :)
Author: Mark Garratt
Posted: Mon 31st Dec 2012, 13:29
Local Group: Heart of England
I've had these in the past and didn't get on with them very well . The zips annoy you as they're in line with your knee which also cause rubbing . They may have improved over the last coulpe of years but my daughter also tried them for D of E and had the same problems . I always carry a pair of running leggings /tights with me as these are very lightweight ,dont rub or chafe , fold up to nothing and keep you warm if the weather turns . decathlon sell them for £9.99 .i wore them on this years 100 and kept me warm a treat in that awfull weather
Posted: Sun 30th Dec 2012, 23:10
I just wondered if anyone had any views about these on a multi day walk. Is it worth buying a pair of convertible trousers to save a few grams or should I just take a pair of shorts as well as trousers. I am seriously counting the grams as I am now carrying lightweight camping gear in my pack as well as everything else.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law