Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - The Spine Race.

Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Sun 8th Feb 2015, 15:36
Local Group: East Lancashire
There was a shortish feature on the event in the regional 'Inside Out: Yorkshire and Lincolnshire' programme on BBC1 on 2nd February, available on i-player as of 8th Feb.

I saw that Inside Out North West is also featuring it tomorrow 9th Feb.

Iain
Author: Michael Headley
Posted: Sun 18th Jan 2015, 23:25
Local Group: Kent
There's more on the Spine story in grough.
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Sat 17th Jan 2015, 19:28
Local Group: Marches
And to Jim Tinnion who completed after a nail biting night (for his followers)
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Fri 16th Jan 2015, 15:37
Local Group: Lakeland
Congratulations to Matt Neale who finished in 7th place in a whisker over 5 days.
Posted: Thu 15th Jan 2015, 21:38
Jim still hanging in there - front runners now home
Posted: Tue 13th Jan 2015, 22:57
Julie now well ahead but seems to be wandering around in the dark on Cross Fell - What a night to be off route and alone on the highest point of the Pennines. Jim starts the night in the Middleton checkpoint - good idea to stay there a while. Correction - I think he is on his way out. This tracking is addictive viewing. Only 49 still going - Julie currently 15th and Jim 27th.
Posted: Mon 12th Jan 2015, 22:17
Julie approaching CP 3 at Middleton. Jim now in CP 2 Hawes. The leader has been held at Middleton for 16 hours because of dangerous conditions on the next section. 35 retired now - 55 still going.
Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Mon 12th Jan 2015, 18:24
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Jack said it was too icy for her and she was going home for a hot bath. Good decision Jack.
Posted: Sat 10th Jan 2015, 21:30
Looks like Jacqui has retired but Jim and Julie still going strong - Julie climbing up Stanedge and Jim not far behind. Weather looks (predictably) awful - hail and some snow flurries. Good luck to them all - and particularly to our LDWA friends.
Posted: Sat 10th Jan 2015, 13:48
Some LDWA members started the race this morning. I've spotted Jacqui Cooper, Julie Gardner and Jim Tinnion on the list.

Tracking
Posted: Tue 14th Jan 2014, 18:04
Congratulations to LDWA member, Jack Cooper, who completed the Spine Challenger Race 2014 at 02:34 on Monday morning, in 43 hours 13 minutes, only (I think) female to finish the Challenger Race and with new course record.

The Spine Race 2014 continues.... updates here.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Sat 19th Jan 2013, 14:13
Local Group: Surrey
Yes: Okay we know you are all needing updates so... The last placed team has been withdrawn from the race course as the snow conditions were too severe to progress. Annie Garcia, Russ Swift and David Lee are currently being safely evacuated from the route.

Not their choice: 'has been withdrawn' But other posters mentioned snow drifts 7 metres deep.

Also they had not reached the mountain refuge hut as far as I can tell. That update was added to a thread about them but referred to the group ahead of them.

The group in front of them spent the night in the refuge hut and reached the finish an hour ago.
Posted: Sat 19th Jan 2013, 13:51
See from the facebook page that Dave, Russ and Annie have been pulled by the organisers because of worsening snow conditions. 250 miles and within sight of the end.
Posted: Sat 19th Jan 2013, 9:06
Keep the information coming in Elton (Leaderboard useless)
Posted: Fri 18th Jan 2013, 22:20
Another update, about an hour ago:They left very early this morning to make the cut off and are currently at the Mountain Refuge Hut on the trail.

I think that must refer to the first hut up in the Cheviots, near Lamb Hill. If so, that means 1) the snow up there is not so deep that they can't walk through it, and 2) that they are 8.1 miles from the point where the Pennine Way leaves the Cheviots and begins descending to Kirk Yetholm, and 16.4 miles from the finish.

16 miles in eleven hours - they should make it, even up through the snow and the night.
Posted: Fri 18th Jan 2013, 20:32
Times are looking very tight: 23.5 hours to go and the trio including David are not recorded as leaving (or even as having reached) Bellingham yet. From Bellingham to KirkYetholm is 1.5 days walking in summer.

On the other hand updating of the leaderboards has a time lag: Morrison and Lendon are finished,and the leaderboards don't show that yet.

Hot off the press, 5 mins ago via mobile: 'Dave was with Annie n russ approaching c.p .5 at 7am'

So they're still in there, with a chance and fighting.
Posted: Fri 18th Jan 2013, 17:59
Any news about Dave and his mates - one a lady I see
Posted: Thu 17th Jan 2013, 22:07
So we have three LDWA members in the Spine Race. Alf Short, in the Spine Challenger, had to retire early on.

Mick Cooper left Alston 12 hours after Eugeni Sole, and had reduced the lead to just over 2 hours by the finish. And this is after having already done 180 miles. The word ‘determination’ doesn’t begin to describe these men and women.

Sole's diversion off the Cheviots didn't help. By the route he took, it seems he thought he had missed the Kirk Yetholm turnoff, but this was still some miles ahead. He left the escarpment at 630m, went down to 200m, wandered around in the valleys for a bit, then climbed back up onto the route again to 480m. He did at least 5km extra. At any time an incident like that would have been frustrating, but at that stage of the race it must have been morale shattering.

Three have now finished. And they say the weather is ‘turning’. Eleven or twelve are still out there.

David left Alston with two others at 07:15, 86 miles to go.
Posted: Thu 17th Jan 2013, 16:02
Mick at the finish.
Posted: Thu 17th Jan 2013, 15:40
Another LDWA member, Mick Cooper from Bradford, second person to finish, 5d7h11m - and he ran to the finish line. Get the man a beer Jack.
Posted: Wed 16th Jan 2013, 23:44
Minus 7 deg in Dufton (at the bottom of Cross Fell) overnight.

So on Cross Fell itself ??

And add wind chill??
Posted: Wed 16th Jan 2013, 23:29
Leader boards give exact times but usually omit to say what day...

Today, Wednesday, David left CP3 (Middleton in Teesdale) at 03:33

Was 'Fueling up' for Cross Fell at 14:00 with 6 others

And was 'Moving down' Cross Fell at 21:00 with 3 others.

So he should reach CP4 (Alston) shortly.

"All the athletes are using around 9 layers for protection," according to the organisers

Almost half the field have retired so far..
Posted: Tue 15th Jan 2013, 22:56
Looks like he is still going - anyway it doesn't say "scratched" on the leaders board - anyone know more?
Posted: Mon 14th Jan 2013, 20:51
David has just left CP2, Hawes, 107 miles, 60 hours into the race.

David drives himself with a bullwhip, so his time is an indication of conditions: appalling.

Many withdrawals from injuries and exhaustion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheSpineRace
Posted: Sat 12th Jan 2013, 23:09
They started 8am today. Updates here

http://www.thespinerace.com/updates/
Author: Robert Locock
Posted: Sat 12th Jan 2013, 20:37
Good Luck with this David.
Posted: Fri 11th Jan 2013, 12:23
Good luck with the weather and conditions on the race, David. I admire but do not envy you.
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Thu 22nd Nov 2012, 19:44
Local Group: East Lancashire
thanks for the link

what an epic event...

I did N - S in 10 days and I thought that was tough... clearly I wasn't trying... ;)
Posted: Thu 22nd Nov 2012, 14:57
Just read Gary Morrison's account of this epic.

http://garyandvic.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/spine-race-2012an-epic-adventure.html

And I thought the Hundred was tough!
Posted: Mon 12th Nov 2012, 12:21
Attended a training event over the weekend for this race along the full Pennine Way in January 2013.
The training was a series of lectures on safety, medical, survival, navigation etc, followed by a simulated race of 45 plus miles around the Mary Townley Loop of the Pennine Bridleway.
Some competors will be walking it all whilst others will go Ultra Marathon style and be running at least parts of it. There is a 7 day time limit, but is well supported with 5 checkpoints.
Basically the first one to Scotland wins!
Dave.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law