Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Round Rotherham 50

Author: Melissa Butcher
Posted: Wed 10th Oct 2012, 14:38
Local Group: London
Thanks Andrew. I'll be jogging for as long as my legs can manage it, then walking to the end so hoping to make it in the 16 hours. I think I'll not worry about poles this time but will pack a cheese sandwich or two.
Author: Andrew Gilbertson
Posted: Tue 9th Oct 2012, 23:25
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
RRR is a really good event: from sleeping in the hall to the meal at the end. It is very well organised but is mainly a running event so us walkers have to get a move on to do it in the 16hrs allowed. This year will be my 4th time so it must be good.From what the 'old hands' tell me it's a much softer event now than when it was staged in Dec. One hardly needs a head torch as the street lights help a lot at the start and finish.
Food is ok but not as good as most LDWA events and for those of us who finish near the cut off time there may not be a lot left at the end.
Poles may help if you use them Nodic walking style.
Good luck.
Author: Ben Loudon
Posted: Tue 9th Oct 2012, 22:31
Local Group: Dorset
I will be there giving it a go for the first time. So if you see me looking lost don't ask me the way. I am hoping quite a few people will be walking it.
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Tue 9th Oct 2012, 8:45
Local Group: Marches
Great - will be good to see you there Dave. The RR seems to the the Marmite of the events world - you either love it and return year after year or have a 'never again' moment.
funnily enough I've been thinking of a potential route for a Birmingham 50 the extra loop could be.....down the Birmingham and fazeley, pavement section into sutton Park, and through barr beacon and sandwell valley..... we could do the 'round birmingham' instead of 'round rotherham'........
Author: David Powell
Posted: Mon 8th Oct 2012, 20:59
Local Group: Heart of England
Hi Rebecca- Am thinking of entering as I need a qualifier for next years 100. There are so few 50 mile events this year. But I can understand the reason. These long events stretch the resources of a single area. The 40 mile event on the Canal Canter put us under extreme stress this year and a 50 mile option is ... well unthinkable. Will see you there.
Posted: Mon 8th Oct 2012, 20:23
Thanks Rebecca.
Posted: Mon 8th Oct 2012, 8:21
No, its not hilly. There is one major hill that takes you up past a cannon monument but thats the only one I can recall.
I've always just relied on the sketch map you can download from the website and not gone wrong - some of the route is taped but not much of it from memory. I think there is also an RD as well that you can download, but I've always found the sketchmap ok. Its one of those events that people do year after year so there's always someone who knows the way from my experience.

Good luck and enjoy!
Posted: Sun 7th Oct 2012, 22:33
Thanks Rebecca, that's very helpful. I was wondering about which map to take. I'm guessing it's not too hilly so won't really need poles? Looking forward to it. See you there.
Posted: Sun 7th Oct 2012, 17:02
Hi Melissa

I've done it about 4 times now. Great event. Be careful of the start as there is a Dearn valley college and a Dearn Valley sports centre both about 3 miles apart and we turned up at the wrong one at 5.30am to find it in darkness and ended up missing the start one year.
Sketch map is adequate - the start is along a cycle path with several traffic islands and it can be very difficult to follow the sketch map when everyone darts off and know which island you are on but don't worry as once you turn off the cycle path the sketch map is really easy to follow.

Take food with you as the checkpoints have minimal supplies - from memory its all sweet stuff so if like me you prefer savoury take plentyful supplies.

There's no real sting in the tail, times are normally very quick even if your walking, and surprisingly rural - see you there.
Posted: Sun 7th Oct 2012, 11:11
Hi everyone, just checking who else from LDWA will be doing the RRR on the 20th and if anyone has any tips?

Cheers
Melissa Butcher (London)

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law