Posted: Sun 14th Oct 2012, 14:13
Local Group: Marches
Here is the link (doh !!):-

http://the-glassback-chronicles.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/where-ravens-dare.html
Author: Ross Weston
Posted: Sun 14th Oct 2012, 14:13
Stunning event.

And here is my crappy blog post (and photo's) which simply don't do it justice, but might persuade some of the merits of a journey down to south Wales.
Author: Mark Garratt
Posted: Sun 7th Oct 2012, 22:50
Local Group: Heart of England
Mine also a sad tale like matts . My wife and I pre entered via si entires and Booked a the caravan club site close by for Friday night in our campervan just over a week prior to the event . Both looking forwarded to it then the bombshell dropped . I had to go to Irvine in Scotland for a 10am Friday meeting which ment I didn't get home to West Midlands to late Friday night
Which ment no event next day . Maybe next year
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Sun 7th Oct 2012, 20:34
Local Group: South Wales
Thanks very much everyone for the lovely comments. We've had nice feedback via email and via our active facebook page too. A special thanks to John Pennifold for making the video. It gives entrants a real insight into the route (apart from where he didn't check his compass bearing, eh John?!!!).
The pleasure is ours in seeing everyone having such a great time!!
Author: Ross Weston
Posted: Sun 7th Oct 2012, 19:36
I can only echo the comments written below, what a stunning event.

Thanks to David and his team.
Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Sun 7th Oct 2012, 18:53
Local Group: London
Commiserations to Matthew & Jane Hand. Most people have many electronic devices capable of operating as an alarm. When I need to get up I set my watch alarm and my mobile-phone alarm. When I REALLY, REALLY must wake up I usually find a third device too.
Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Sun 7th Oct 2012, 18:49
Local Group: London
My video of this year's event: http://youtu.be/v_QYPD2nb4k
My photos of this year's event: http://www.flickr.com/photos/john_pp/sets/72157631713184805/
(Note: at time of posting, the video was still 'having its shakes removed' by Youtube, so a later viewing might be preferable.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sun 7th Oct 2012, 16:13
Local Group: Mid Wales
Mine is a sad tale for this event. I decided to do the walk on Thursday, so Friday night I had all my kit in the car, entry form filled in and ready, route description printed off, OS map marked up etc. etc.

And my alarm clock didn't go off (it is genuinely busted I have now found). So I overslept and missed an event for the first time in my life! I could probably have just made the 9.0am start, but a very hurried 60 mile drive with no breakfast or time for any, would have been a bad start to a long day.

Went for a lovely run from home instead, lovely day for it - will try again next year!!!
Matt.
Author: Carole Elizabeth Engel
Posted: Sun 7th Oct 2012, 10:18
Local Group: Calderdale
Its not often I feel moved enough to praise an event on this forum but Where Ravens Dare is an exception. Wales has always been a favourite area of mine - its green, its hilly and its wild and WRD has all three (plus a GPX file of the route - so helpful to those of us who don’t live on the doorstep and don’t know a Fach from a Fawr). The welcome at the start was very friendly and continued at every CP. Smiles were in abundance and the food the LDWA at its best. We were treated to tuna and roasted pepper, smoked salmon and cream cheese (with filling right into the corners!) and Nutella and banana sandwiches to name but half those on offer. I noticed a beetroot combo but was dragged away by my companion before I put on too many excess ounces on the widening hips. Back at base, three delicious homemade soups were on offer and a table groaning under the weight of several homemade plates of unusual and therefore very tempting, not to mention delicious, cakes - they were moist, flavoursome and beautifully finished and presented. All of which had been prepared by one woman - single-handed! South Wales group had obviously had put a great deal of effort into their event and David Morgan and Shirley Hume were very open about forthcoming plans which was music to my ears.
The group have event organisation to be proud of, a beautiful area with which to delight their entrants and on this weekend especially, wall to wall sunshine (and for those registered with TUK - three concrete pillars) - heaven. Roll on Rhonda Rollercoaster 11th May 2013 - its in my diary already and well worth the three and a half hour journey from the Pennine foothills, a night in Premier Inn luxury and the meagre £7 entry fee.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law