Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - White Cliffs 2012

Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Wed 3rd Oct 2012, 21:22
Local Group: Dorset
Elton, I am sorry that I missed the WC50, but we were on holiday in Crete. (what a great place to walk).

Any way, if you (or any of our readers out there) are intending to enter the 2013 Dorset Giant 100K - please note that it is filling up very rapidly and we are down to the last 27 places..,.
Author: Paul Burgess
Posted: Sat 29th Sep 2012, 18:10
Local Group: Cornwall & Devon
Have just returned from my first visit to Kent (no I didn't get lost, but managed to talk my wife into making it a week long holiday after the WC50) and I just wanted to add my thanks to all those from KSS in making this a great day out for those of us walking. We were certainly blessed with great weather (more than the next 6 days were for us!). It was nice to see my friend Nick at CP7 (looking after Daisy!) who I will always be indebted to when he patched my foot up for me thus enabling me to finish the Scotland 100. Also, a big thankyou to Michelle who I teamed up with for the night section (2 heads are better than one at night when trying to navigate as we all know!). I felt like a king for the day being walker No.1 too! Many thanks again and I hope to return to Kent soon.
Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Wed 26th Sep 2012, 22:04
Local Group: London
I have now uploaded my photos too:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john_pp/sets/72157631630802713/
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Tue 25th Sep 2012, 21:20
Local Group: Lakeland
John,
Excellent video, which enabled me to look back on a lovely day's walk. Neil, don't feel too bad about not realising that a video was being made. I was walking with John for quite a while and appear on the video several times, but I didn't cotton on either.

Many thanks to Kent Group for a super walk. Only my second ever walk in Kent (first was the Sevenoaks circular in 1992 when Sevenoaks was "one oak" after the gales.) Objective was to get a qualifier for the Hundred, but well worth the journey down for a route with lovely views and full of interest. Didn't enjoy all those long fields too much but it did give us some useful practice in walking on a compass bearing in the dark! Nice to have dry conditions underfoot. Been raining here in Kendal for over 24 hours, will it ever stop?
Posted: Tue 25th Sep 2012, 0:31
Many thanks to everyone involved for an excellent event - beautiful route, great hospitality and a lovely day for it too (I even got slightly sunburnt!). Pity I got timed out at CP4 but I guess that's my fault for failing to find the right gate and getting lost in the fields near Lyminge! If anyone puts on a 50 with a time limit of 24 hours I'd love to hear about it, because I keep getting timed out on ones with a limit of 22...
Author: Neil Bromley
Posted: Mon 24th Sep 2012, 23:22
Local Group: Heart of England
Thought Maydensole was a wonderful CP, especially the "Slow Walkers" sign greeting us at the entrance, and Daisy in the byre. You'd really have to run the event at Xmas, though, lay on some snow and and dress your fellow marshalls in robes to get the full effect of your brilliant venue. Thanks for signing up for the 5.00 am shift and to all the Kent group for a lovely event.

My, you do have some large arable fields in your part of the world, don't you? (enjoyed the "cross field for 800 yards" aiming for a gate left of the trees instruction - even my super powerful mountain bike torch couldn't pick that one out!) Anyway, thanks for saving them for the night section and at least they made for brisk walking.

Great organisation, helpers and route - a real pleasure to take part. Thanks so much for a memorable awayday!
Author: R Neil Higham
Posted: Mon 24th Sep 2012, 22:16
Local Group: Kent
Thank you John for your video.

My children think that I'm a bit slow generally, and this perhaps manifested itself when I signally failed to realise that there was a man in Elham (CP4) filming - I seriously didn't cotton on.

Minor grumble is that there is no video record here of the excellent, all mod cons, CP7 (where I was also based) at Maydensole, and - perhaps most importantly - you didn't afford any recognition to Daisy, the resident cow; then again, you may have been one of the entrants who didn't actually step over the threshold, perhaps there was no room to accommodate you, with 6 inside the CP being a very friendly number indeed, so you are forgiven (this time).

Just to say thank you to everyone for putting up with the 'change' of accommodation on Saturday; this was an unpleasant surprise for us as well when we found out, but we were able to make adjustments in time; thankfully the weather held, so the marquee solution worked.

On a slight tangent, many will be aware of the National Trust's Neptune Coastline Campaign, which is raising funds to safeguard, for the nation, a 1.35K section of the iconic White Cliffs. At their last Committee Meeting, a proposal was made for the Kent Group to make a donation - NOT dependant upon the success or otherwise of this event - of £100 to help the appeal (which is looking to raise £1.2 million in total). The kind hearted Treasurer suggested that funds were just about sufficient for this sum to be doubled (what kind of a Treasurer is that????) - and we may even make a further donation once we have ascertained whether the event was in surplus.
Posted: Mon 24th Sep 2012, 18:59
Did anybody else notice this burnt electrical equipment on the cliffs above Folkestone? Any ideas as it its origins?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john_pp/8020408383/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john_pp/8020409025/in/photostream/
Author: David Giles
Posted: Mon 24th Sep 2012, 18:37
Local Group: Sussex
John thank you for the video really enjoyed re-living the experience!
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Mon 24th Sep 2012, 9:52
Local Group: Marches
What a brilliant event! Lovely route and for some very odd reason we didn't get lost at all, found all the stiles straight away....that's a first. Really enjoyed the added challenge of no clear paths across fields - think we surprised the farmer that was ploughing in the dark! Added bonus was Tony won 6 beers in the raffle which saw us through our post event recovery! Thanks again to the Kent group and all the helpers. Brilliant!
Posted: Mon 24th Sep 2012, 9:36
I made a video of the event: http://youtu.be/V8Rs41u0L_M
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Mon 24th Sep 2012, 9:24
Local Group: Lakeland
And congratulations to Kent group for picking a day of perfect autumn weather. The daytime route was as interesting and pleasant a day as you could wish for. Not so sure about all those pathless fields in the night - at least we got plenty of practice at walking on a bearing!
Well worth the long trek down from Cumbria.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Sun 23rd Sep 2012, 20:24
Local Group: Surrey
Excellent weather, a beautiful and interesting route (who has seen a First World War zeppelin detector dish before?), good spreads with friendly support at the checkpoints. Thank you, Kent Group.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law