Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Sealskins socks and trainers v boots

Author: Ian Walker
Posted: Sat 27th Oct 2012, 14:41
Local Group: South Wales
I very much echo Jeff's comment. I've been doing long-distance walks for the past year with running shoes (for shock absorbency and low weight), thin liners and Sealskins. I've never had wet feet, even when wading across streams. It's the perfect combination.

Just one word of warning, though, which I learnt through bitter experience on the Herts Stroller: get the running shoes a size larger than normal. Sealskins are thick, and with liner socks too you'll be cramming too much into your shoes if you go for your usual size. I have a missing big-toenail that can attest to this!
Author: Jeff Campbell
Posted: Thu 27th Sep 2012, 0:18
Local Group: Surrey
I wear Sealskinz socks whenever wet conditions are likely. Under these I wear a thin pair of socks (generally Toetoe or Ininji ‘glove’ ones). I find this combination excellent and although not 100% waterproof they certainly keep most of the water out of my trainers and I never blister. They also contribute to cushioning my feet nicely. I wore these on the Games 100 and a few weeks ago on a challenge run in the Alps. There I also wore Sealskinz ‘waterproof’ gloves for the first time. Conditions were very poor with 10cm snow on the ground and a strong wind blowing a combination of rain/sleet/snow at us, so a tough test for the gloves. They failed! Admittedly they kept my hands fairly warm but as for being anything like waterproof: no! They claim to be “totally waterproof, windproof and breathable”. I didn’t find them to be so and they almost doubled in weight as they absorbed water.

In short: the merino-lined socks are great, but don’t expect dry hands!

Jeff
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Fri 21st Sep 2012, 16:51
Local Group: Mid Wales
Neoprene socks, anyone tried them in winter?
Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Fri 21st Sep 2012, 13:00
Local Group: London
We both have some Sealskins: some leaked from day one, some started leaking after a few uses, some are still waterproof. What can you say?
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Tue 18th Sep 2012, 22:29
Local Group: Mid Wales
I'm a trainers man and don't mind wet feet. In very cold middle of winter (when trainers freeze from snow and ice) I wear sealskins in the trainers and they do the job protecting my feet from extreme cold.

Jane on the other hand hated having wet feet (maybe it's a wife thing!) and went through various boots etc. She now does not mind having wet feet - after many years of grizzling - so can happily wear trainer type walking shoes and not worry about puddles. I don't think sealskins would be a good idea in any warm weather, you would sweat in them and be wet anyway.

So that is the answer from us, get used to wet feet and she can wear whatever footwear she likes.
Matthew.
Author: Mark Garratt
Posted: Tue 18th Sep 2012, 21:58
Local Group: Heart of England
My wife and I are in a middle of a heated argument regarding the above . As we both also runners I'm a firm believer of the trainers approach ( I did on this years 100 but did blister badly due to the very wet night )but she hates wet feet . What are the sealskins socks like and any suggestions on the above on who's right and the best trainers boots etc

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law