Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - 50 mile event every month of the year

Author: Nigel Dean
Posted: Tue 5th Feb 2013, 23:00
Local Group: West Lancashire
Hello Janet

Not the same but last year I noticed the only month of any year I had not completed a 50 miler in was January. Accordingly myself and four friends who did not have the same motivation did the Derwent Valley Heritage Way on the 12th last month. Well really the 13th as we finished at 0300 Sunday. It was a far better route than we had anticipated and somewhat further than the 51 at 55.4 but that included an unintended extra in Derby and the mile walk back to the cars we had passed on the way to the finish!

Good luck in your endeavours. The weather surly cannot be worse than last year.
Author: Steve Jelfs
Posted: Tue 22nd Jan 2013, 20:03
Local Group: Heart of England
Hi Janet the t d t was started again this year it is not being run
by the scouts now , but is still the same team
hope this helps
steve
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Mon 7th Jan 2013, 17:17
Local Group: Marches
Would love to but thought the TdeT had died - this year's December 50 was done on the 28th with grateful thanks to Roger, Alan and Gary who accompanied me on the Shropshire Way from Ludlow - Craven Arms-Clun -Bishops Castle - Bridges- Church Stretton. We caught the early train from Church Stretton to Ludlow so had transport when we got back to Stretton. Not quite as much rain as we feared but ground conditions dire. Many thanks to Geoff and Susan who turned out at the Stiperstones in a howling gale with tea and food.
Author: Steve Jelfs
Posted: Thu 3rd Jan 2013, 19:19
Local Group: Heart of England
Hi Janet
Why not get a team of 3 together in december and do the tour de trigs
, its a 50 miler in 24hours on the first w/e in December
Author: Alan Champion
Posted: Thu 27th Sep 2012, 22:05
Sorry, that didn't come out very well...
I wasn't suggesting that you're in the habit of drumming people out; just that the Marches marches to your beat.
Author: Alan Champion
Posted: Thu 27th Sep 2012, 22:03
How on earth could you be drummed out of the Marches, when you yourself are the drummer?

We could do a WOW Marshals Marshals' if you'd marshal the marshals...
Posted: Thu 27th Sep 2012, 8:50
Of course it will be published well in advance - and just to give you a head start I have asked the routemaster to send you a copy of this year's route - it won't be very different
Author: Ross Weston
Posted: Wed 26th Sep 2012, 22:28
Will the route be available to reccie beforehand ?

I'd like to get some practice following a map in the Shropshire Hills solo (well with the dog), and at the same time check out the route.
Posted: Wed 26th Sep 2012, 22:11
Just 50 miles - the first half of last year's route with a few tweaks - and possibly in reverse to keep you on your toes and give some new views. Wait until the Rio Olympics for another 100
Posted: Tue 25th Sep 2012, 22:08
Even worse than the WP and SSC clashing, is the Shotley 50 and WOW clashing.

Is the WOW the same as this year ?
Posted: Sun 23rd Sep 2012, 17:03
Hold on a bit - I think I have set a hare running that is threatening to turn into some semi official challenge with other people setting the rules. As this is my personal challenge - although others may like to try something similar - its my rules that count. I am not going to allow 2 consecutive 25 mile events on separate days although I will allow doubling an event - either setting out the night before or carrying on when all others are having their tea! I was very excited to see that the Poppyline 50 was on but then reduced to despair to find it clashed with the South Shropshire Circular and I will be drummed out of the Marches group if I am absent for that so I may be doubling the SSC marshals walk for February. Social walks will count (even if its me on on my own- others can join me if they want) as will marshals walks. I am also happy with anytime challenges of 50 miles plus completed in 24 hours. I fancy the Lyke wake but would need to add another 10 miles to uphold the integrity of the challenge.
Author: Helen Abbott
Posted: Sun 23rd Sep 2012, 14:58
Local Group: Thames Valley
Is it definitely true that two events on consecutive days will qualify?

If so, then a combination of the Ride & Stride on the second Saturday in September, plus the Chiltern Marathon the next day, could be useful in future years.

Anyway I happened to do this and would like to know whether I have inadvertently qualified: The Ride & Stride is a sponsored event where you plan your own route to visit churches from a list during an 8-hour period and can make it your goal to do as many as you can. Each one which is open (most of them) initials your form as proof, with a time. My route was 27 miles from the Goring Gap to and round Oxford, 42 churches, with the Chiltern Marathon to follow the next day, which was over 26 miles.

I have also heard it rumoured that the Lyke Wake walk counts, even though it is only about 40 miles.
Posted: Sat 22nd Sep 2012, 22:28
And now the Shotley 50 entry form is available ...................

................ For the love of limited disposable income !!!!
Posted: Sat 22nd Sep 2012, 22:22
And there it is .............

Downloaded onto my laptop .............
Author: Chris Flood
Posted: Sat 22nd Sep 2012, 10:04
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
Yes, that's right now and thank you for changing it Madeleine.I hope to get the entry forms online this weekend.
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Fri 21st Sep 2012, 22:11
Local Group: West Yorkshire
I've changed it to start on Saturday 23rd. Is that now right?
Author: Katie Hunt
Posted: Fri 21st Sep 2012, 13:17
I am assured that the Winter Poppyline is on a Saturday - finishing on the Sunday, and the event listing should soon be altered. So start planning for a great time in the lovely Norfolk countryside in February.
Author: Thomas Sellers
Posted: Thu 20th Sep 2012, 21:22
Local Group: Lakeland
The Winter Poppyline has now appeared on the events page. Starting on a Sunday, rather oddly.
Posted: Mon 27th Aug 2012, 13:47
Just a thought, but why not find a 25/26mile event on the Saturday, and then another on the Sunday.

I know it's not the same as walking through the night, but it would get the distance in.
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Sun 26th Aug 2012, 22:24
Local Group: South Wales
If you complete the Taith Torfaen let me know with the time that you do, and I'll ensure you receive the event certificate.

David
Author: Luke Bradley
Posted: Sun 26th Aug 2012, 20:01
Local Group: Staffordshire
For January you could try the 32 mile Wilmot Wander, but with an extra half lap.

Just before reaching the Mackworth Hotel for the 2nd time, taking the Bonnie Prince Charlie Walk back into Derby then back to the start along the river would make it just over 50 miles.
Posted: Sat 25th Aug 2012, 7:56
I really wanted a challenge walk that someone else was organising - as a rest from orgnising them myself - but I really like the idea of Matt's social 50 and the Taith Torfaen so I think the ground rules may have been redefined.
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Fri 24th Aug 2012, 15:21
Local Group: South Wales
Why not do the Taith Torfaen. It's an Anytime Challenge Walk run by the South Wales group. It's a figure of eight so you can leave provisions and clothing in your car at Pontypool. I led it as a social walk last Sept. It was very popular, and even though I'm biased, the scenery is good whilst varied throughout!!

http://www.southwalesldwa.org/swldwa_tt.htm
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Fri 24th Aug 2012, 10:15
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Why don't you do plan one for yourself and maybe a few friends? Thats what I do with the help of archived challenge walks so I don't have to plan a route description also. That way you can go where you want when you want.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Fri 24th Aug 2012, 9:48
Local Group: Mid Wales
Would a social walk count? Could put on a West Wales 50 in January - nice little linear route I did couple of weeks ago with easy return transport.

Have to be a self supported (shops en-route) for grown-ups only - I don't do "organising" anymore!
Matt.
Author: Katie Hunt
Posted: Fri 24th Aug 2012, 8:14
Hi Janet

What about the Not For Nothing Fifty in Norfolk in February? It is usually towards the end of the month and starts at Cromer. I am pretty sure that it is happening in 2013 because I was talking to the organiser at the Herts Stroller. Perhaps someone else has the actual date.

Hope that helps.
Posted: Thu 23rd Aug 2012, 20:07
Well thats my ambition for 2013 but there is a difficulty - January, February, November and December. I suppose that's 4 problems not one. Can anyone suggest a 50 mile event that can be completed by a walker, not a runner, that happens in those 4 months. I have looked at the ultra websites but I can't do the Thames towpath 50 in January as its 50 miles in 11 hours and I would be looking at about 13 - 14 hours at the fastest. It has been suggested that I go to the Antipodes but its a bit pricey and I have a business to run (walk). Unfortunately the Round Rotherham is now in October not December - in other words the rain is a bit warmer - and the Popppyline 50 seems to have disappeared off the calendar. I have investigated charity walks and runs with a generous time allowance but can find nothing that would suit. Any suggestions?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law