Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Wenlock Olympian Walk 21st/22nd July

Author: Richard Plumley
Posted: Mon 6th Aug 2012, 10:24
Local Group: Bristol & West
This is a bit of a long shot but my momento,/keep sake of the wenlock walk is dammaged ,it has a corner disfigured ,looks as if during manufacture as no sharp edges and piece missing not with it, could i obtain another or have they all been taken. if its any help i will be on the across wales walk in september and know Paul Breach well and he will be there aswell thankyou Richard
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Sun 5th Aug 2012, 18:08
Local Group: Marches
Photos, results, poem all now on event website http://www.sproson.com/wow/
Author: Gerald Garland
Posted: Mon 30th Jul 2012, 13:31
Local Group: Thames Valley
Wow 50, quite simply a great event. A fantastic route, great format and brilliant support throughout. Please stage this event again next year, that gives some people 12 months to buy a map and learn how to use it (sorry no offence intended). This event has a real chance of becoming a classic and will attract numerous grown ups once the word is out. For those of you who completed the Wow100, what are you made of ??

Thanks Marches, hope to see you next year.
Author: Andrew Gilbertson
Posted: Sun 29th Jul 2012, 20:13
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
As an avowed Ludite I have only recently found out how to add my comment to the discussions about WOW! By recently I mean 2 minutes ago.
Firstly I would like to say, PLEASE Marches group put the 50 on again next year.
A brilliant event. I had planned to do the 100 but took 19hr 44mins to do the first 50 so gave up then. Wimp.
Given my difficulties in using GPS etc I prefare to use a combination of route discription and map. Night walking is not good for me as I tend to suffer from a form of motion sickness brought on by using a head tourch. Like many others I went astay a few times but that was due to me going wrong not the route discription. For part of the route a few of us blatently followed a couple of local ladies. They led us atraight up from the Airman's Memorial ( well worth the visit ) to the Topograth. When one was heard to say that she had sworn not to do it that way as there was a PATH nearby. Thanks again for allowing us to tag along.
The format, of check points well spread out worked well. It meant I had an excuse for carrying extra chocalate, wine gums, cheese, jelley babbies and Mars Bars, however such was the plentiful supply of food on route that I had loads left when I finished.
Thanks to all who planned and helped run a great event.
All the best
Andrew.
Posted: Sun 29th Jul 2012, 16:21
I agree with Matt in my preference to use a map rather than rely on a route description - for one thing it ensures that you look round at the countryside you are walking through rather than have your nose in typescript. I also agree that however you get choose to get round you are a danger to yourself and a potential liability to marshals if you cannot use a map and compasss - and if the event covers fells and open country the need is even greater - you also need basic mountaincraft and hill skills. How about the National Committee organising a navigation course for LDWA members - I am sure there are plenty of suppliers who would welcome a block booking.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Fri 27th Jul 2012, 15:47
Local Group: Mid Wales
I am a luddite, but I actually enjoy using a paper map and compass and working things out as I go along. It is part of the challenge and keeps the brain working, my choice. When I become "misplaced" it's my fault only and I get myself back online - somehow.

On the WOW, I walked to the start with a runner, who had no map, no route description and knew he had to go to "Church Stretton, Craven Arms and then back here". He also said that if he bought a map he had no idea how to read it anyway!!

But whatever means of navigation we choose, the point is, we should be able to use it, otherwise we shouldn't be out there. Those that rely solely on route descriptions will eventually get caught out, invariably blame someone else and never learn to use a map (GPS or whatever).

In the current Fell Runner magazine, Yiannis is bemoaning the lack of mountain skills amongst current fell runners "following each other like headless chickens.....". Perhaps we are the same in walking? Maybe older members could tell us how it was 30 years ago, could everyone use and understand a map then or did they rely on written instructions?

I have nothing against the new technology and those that choose it, but ultimately we are all reponsible for where we end up and how we got there, and if it all goes a bit pear shaped - tough.
Matt.
Posted: Fri 27th Jul 2012, 13:38
Iam wondering if (after just recieving a copy of the results ) my punishment for daring to question Chris Dawes route at cp3 over brown clee is to have a two hour penalty for my audacity the start time for myself and trusty companion Robert Attwood is down as08:00 when we actually started at 10:00 ,as can be clearly seen we walked with a lovely lady Julie and all finished together totally wrecked although not within the 20 hour limit even with the two hour adjustment
Posted: Fri 27th Jul 2012, 11:58
Chris, apologies if my comments seemed harsh. As I said, I'm perfectly happy with CPs every 10-15 miles in the early stages, but an extra one towards the end would have been more than welcome to break up the night stage.If enough other people are happy to undertake 50 or 100 miles with a minimalist route description that you can fill up the event without needing to cater for the likes of me, then all well and good, and I'll stick to those with which I feel more comfortable (just received the RD for the Herts Stroller, which is 8 pages for 54 miles). Alternatively I could move with the times (I do have Luddite tendencies) and get myself a GPS.

Neil, I'm delighted to hear that your challenge events are so popular, and under such circumstances it's extremely generous of you to offer to reserve me a place. Keeping the route description a mystery until the day of the event sounds like an intriguing idea, which I haven't encountered before. If I'm within a reasonable distance of South Shropshire at the time I would be pleased to take up your offer, although that remains to be confirmed as I may be abroad then.
Posted: Thu 26th Jul 2012, 23:42
We have ourselves a good thread here. its good to talk between those of us who organise and those who take part. Full and fair criticism can only result in better Events.

We of the Marches Group on organising the WOW that was, in the zeitgeist of our times, could be described as an austerity 100 with a low cost of entry and a streamlined efficient organisation.

By keeping the Event management within the resources of a small group(but with thanks to the potato baker of our Central England neighbour), with double use of the Event Centre for the breakfast stop on the 100. with only 2 indoor checkpoints, and with these of mobile phones for communication we avoided the major costs of the traditional 100.

Of course this required that the distances between Cps were approximately double those of the traditional 100 but for some runners and strong walkers this was considered an advantage`(less time for stoppages). But we concentrated resources on the few we had and nobody has complained about the lack of food or its quality.

We made much use of IT so avoiding the cost of printing route descriptions, and above all the cost, of posting them. And I believe the time has come to make more use of GPS and electronic mapping for navigation particularly as more than half the population carry smart phones that are GPS enabled and can run OS napping as an Application. We had on the Event website downloadable GPX tracks plus a tables of Grid Refs providing a link to the Streetmap site that displayed their location on either 1: 50000 or 1:25000 scales.

The days of paper maps maybe numbered as by going electronic the OS avid the costs of printing and distribution and the waste of withdrawing out of date maps. To those of the Luddite tendency then to quote Bob Dylan of 50 years ago, "the times they are a'changin. Don't block up the way". The whole low cost airline industry now relies on electronic booking and registration and most Government services are web based. Even the Stider is going electronic.

As with all other LDWA challenge walks we must have opening and closing times for check points so that we can move marshals and supplies efficiently around the route and keep under control the cost of village halls and the like that we hire by the hour. And then of course there is the duty of care we have for entrants to our events so we need to keep an eye on walker's progress and provide evacuation to prevent harm happening to them. And of course the walk is a challenge and as such success cannot be guaranteed.

Evenso we did have a group of 5 who fell off the back and who were officially retired. Short of detaining them we had no option but to let them continue but we did make available supplies of water and gave then certification for the charity they are raising money for.

Many finishers commented that the route was a tough one but I have yet to hear any finisher utter the words; "That was an easy one". Indeed I note that the last tree hundreds, including our Housman but excluding the Cant Canolbarth, have been statistically measured as the toughest of the past 10 years. The London 100 should have been easy, and was certainly is different in its topology as possible from the Housman, but the weather made it otherwise. And so it was for WOW that three months of record breaking rains had left much of its route soggy and what was not wet was dry and hard. The worst combination for the feet that were softened by the wet and then hammered by the hard surfaces of baked mud and tarmac roads.So may potential 100 walkers were sore footed and could not resist the temptation of an end to their sufferings on return to Wemlock. But the leading runner still completed the route in 24 hours.
Author: Neil Fullwood
Posted: Thu 26th Jul 2012, 19:06
Well it's been jolly interesting to read of Michael Jones's experiences during his first year as a member of the LDWA. Since most everyone else appears to have enjoyed the WOW very much last weekend, despite the well publicised constraints of CP opening times and the distances between them, one can only hope that Michael will get the hang of 'grown-up' challenge walks pretty soon. The Marches Group has been putting on another such event at the end of February for some thirty years. It's called the 'South Shropshire Circular' and is generally FULL by the end of October. If Michael feels he can handle having a two-page Route Description given to him at Registration and can then combine this with the ability to read a map and use a compass, I would be delighted to keep him a place. See the Marches Group web site for Details and an Entry Form.
Posted: Thu 26th Jul 2012, 1:47
I'm afraid if the definition of a 'grown-up' event is one which comes with a bare bones route description and no CP for 13 miles after you've already done 40, then I'd prefer to stick to 'juvenile' events for the foreseeable future. My navigational skills in combination with a map, compass and reasonably detailed RD have been enough to get me round most of the challenge events I've entered this year without going astray by more than a few hundred yards, although I gained notoriety on the New Forest Marathon (which doesn't have a RD, only the grid refs for the checkpoints and a vague suggestion of how to get from each to the next) by ending up about four miles off course by the designated cut-off time and being listed on the results sheet as 'mislaid' rather than 'retired'. In this instance I doubt I would have made it up and down Brown Clee at night without the navigational assistance of the sweepers (being last does have its advantages!) - even with their help it wasn't entirely clear, and we just had to find whatever route we could through the heather. My first navigational error came at pretty much the earliest possible opportunity, when I missed the path off the ridge to Blakeway Farm - rather than double back I just continued on the ridge to Presthorpe, then took the road to rejoin the route at Hughley. I presume I must have gone astray again between there and Netherwood, or I wouldn't have had to climb the barbed wire fences!

As to the cut-off times, I realise that we can't reasonably expect the CP marshals to hang around all night waiting for one or two slowcoaches, but I do appreciate it if they're not enforced too rigidly - if one or more walkers are a bit behind but not far enough to cause a massive inconvenience to anyone by finishing late (which certainly wasn't the case on this event, since the finish was going to be open for another 16 hours for the 100 participants anyway), I would hope that most organisers would be flexible enough to let them continue. On this year's Sevenoaks Circular I was about 15 minutes late to the final checkpoint, but I didn't look on the verge of dropping dead so they let me carry on; at the official cut-off time I was only a mile or so from the finish, so it would have taken longer for someone to go out and collect me than to let me finish under my own steam. I got in about 25 minutes later, when there were still plenty of people around - so no hassle to anyone there. On the Oxon 40 my companion and I were about 45 minutes late at the penultimate checkpoint, were retired but opted to carry on unofficially. Much to our surprise we actually picked up the pace over the last few miles, arrived only 20 minutes late and were reinstated. Many thanks to the two groups in question for being flexible!

Perhaps there could be a rule that, if the finish has to be vacated by a certain time and one or more walkers look likely to finish later than that, they won't receive the assistance of checkpoints in the later stages, but are free to continue independently if they so choose, and can phone the organisers when they finish to have their time officially recorded? It would require a clause in the event rules stating that the organisers would no longer hold any responsibility for walkers continuing after CP cut-off times (although they would still be eligible for a certificate), but I'm sure LDWA members are sufficiently aware of their own capabilities to be able to judge whether or not they can safely continue unsupported.
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Wed 25th Jul 2012, 22:46
I am so glad to hear that others found this hard. I was all set to hang up my walking shoes for good, after clocking my worst time for years and having feet so smashed up I couldn't face the second loop! Great event though, and thanks so much to the organisers for hosting such a fabulous event.
I enjoyed the minimalist RD, I cannot cope with a detailed RD whilst also trying to follow the route on a map and prefer either a detailed RD OR a minimalist RD and a well plotted map route, but happy with either approach.

High points were the weather, the views, and the food (thanks to Dave Powell for the potatoes at CP 2) lows were the Jack Mytton way coming back into Much Wenlock - it went on for EVER....it was like ground hog day.....trees......wood pile on the right.....trees......wood pile on the left....it was as if someone was rolling the same scenery by on an ever lasting loop.....but, we got there, and there was no way I was leaving Much Wenlock for the second loop, so really well done for everyone that did. Thanks again.
Author: Colin Baker
Posted: Wed 25th Jul 2012, 19:03
thanks to the organisers for a lovely event, bearing in mind that they were hosting a 100 but could not call upon the other groups for support they did very well. I thought the checkpoints were fine for me but a little too stretched out in the night section for the less experienced who visibly struggled with the idea of 12 miles to the end, although this would have been difficult owing to resources I suppose.

I do think there needs to be another category for people like me who got to the second checkpoint 20 mins late and were therefore retired but then continued on unsupported and finished anyway. there were three first timers in our little group and it was great to see two of them complete the course despite this.the third withdrew as she couldn't see the point if she was retired which was a shame.
ironically we got faster times than four people who were not retired!

I understand that the rules were advertised and we chose to enter etc etc but for those of us who can maintain a steady pace or sensibly actually slow down in the heat aiming to increase speed in the cool night ( and yes some of us can move as quickly at night) we are unfairly penalised by not sprinting to the first couple of checkpoints in time. on another event last year I was warned at 30 miles that my 10 hours was cutting it close (!) yet finished well within the time.

These events are not supposed to be races but for some of us reaching the first few checkpoints is just that, if orgainsers insist on setting times on the way they walk then at least give those of us who walk differently another option. leaving some water outside the further checkpoints once they've closed is helpful (as was offered in this case) but maybe a category of "continued without support" might be more palatable than "retired". we will be there at the end to record our final time, often before other walkers who favour the sprint/limp approach.

I am certainly not complaining about the event or the organisers, they were most helpful and kind and I thoroughly enjoyed the event. this is more of a plea to future events to include those of us with different styles or achieving the same outcome. I'm sure we could even act as sweepers for the initial stages providing a useful bonus.

Colin
Posted: Wed 25th Jul 2012, 12:40
I can see why the Brown Clee section caused a few problems after dark. I hit the airmans memorial in daylight, looked about for a sheep trod, saw nothing so returned 10 yards to the obvious "grassy route" which I could see going into the distance.
After dark and unable to see this alternative, one may have been tempted to put a compass on the map and take a straight bearing to the summit through the heather.....ugh!
Matt.
Posted: Wed 25th Jul 2012, 11:51
Chris by the way on our way around we did see some runners using roads as opposed to your route
Posted: Wed 25th Jul 2012, 11:32
thanks Chris for owning up to the route difficulties between 5 springs and the summit of brown clee i will admit to being the one who gave you the terse comments at cp3, as i am not sure which person you were would you please wear a name badge next time! if the shropshire way has been rerouted it might be a good idea to show a picture of this area as most peoples maps like mine are obviously out of date
Posted: Wed 25th Jul 2012, 10:30
I've been rather curious if not nervous about how my innovation would be received that replaced the detailled text of the traditional and rather bloated route description with the minimalist data sheet of numerous grid references each having a briek written description of the "next step".

This format prompts the walker to make good use of the map that most events require the walker to carry. It also ackowledges the rising trend for walkers to use electomic maps either as a dedicated device or as an App on their smart phone( now, we are told, carried my more than 50% of the population).

The format seemed to be well received and most walkers successfully navigated the route strtaying only occassionally and when nthey did so quickly returning to the right path. Or if they went badly wrong they omitted to own up to their lack of map reading skills; a further advantage of the format over a written text description where it's writer takes the blame for error!

I did deploy signs at obscure or critical turns but several were removed and there some confusion resulted. Also after the first preumably stronger and more skilled had led the way then "elephant tracks" were created in the long overgrowth that helped thos who followed keep to the right way.

However I do own up to my faults for while stationed at CP3 under Brown Clee I received what in diplomacy is called frank comment on my choice of route from Five Springs to Clee Summit along the new Shropshire Way. I have returned to investigate the problem.

Walkers reported finding the gate onto the hill and soon after the airmans memorial and that they arrived at the summit but only by forcing a way through deep heather and water filled bog holes that were particularly trying at night. So what went wrong.

My error was in the inclusion of the memorial as a wat mark intended to give confidence that walkers were on the right track. But the memorial is about 5 yards from a good grassy path to the summit and unless you return to it then you are doomed to plough straight on into the badlands lured by the navigation lights on the summit radio towers. I will correct this guidance if or perhaps when we repeat the Event.

And now to the subject of lost property.
I have in my possession the following items:
1. A complete inventory of a woman's fell running gear including a pair of Berghaus fell shoes.
2. A pair of Ron Hill shoes.
3. A Regatta athletic top.
4. A pair of Roclitelite trail shoes.
5.Two map cases including a set of 1:25 000 maps(one marked with short cuts to the route,very interesting).
6. A pair of Crane Sport running shorts
7. A pair of glasses.

All clothes have been washed and are now fragrant. Please contact me for their return.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Wed 25th Jul 2012, 10:14
Local Group: Dorset
A terrific event with great scenery and outstanding support. My thanks to everyone at Marches Group who made it happen.

The first leg (fifty miles) was as tough a challenge walk as any I can remember recently, due to the terrain and conditions underfoot. We finished the first leg, but I was out of time to continue for the second fifty. I guess this happened to a few others. In any case, I think I would have struggled to complete a sub 40 hour hundred in this terrain. But, weren't we lucky with the weather?
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Wed 25th Jul 2012, 10:09
Local Group: Surrey
A tough event, but well worth doing. Checkpoint spacing was fine and other events could use fewer checkpoints like this. Provisioning was also perfectly adequate. The RD was telegraphic, but used with 1:25k maps as intended, was adequate (though I was glad to have my gps, especially at night.)

Scenery was beautiful and the weather fine. Underfoot was slippery mud on the Edge but elsewhere sound. The relative paucity of waymark signs and little used paths took getting used to. I won’t forget fighting the heather up Brown Clee Hill after nightfall in a hurry.

All in all, a challenging but rewarding event. Thanks to Marches Group for all the time and effort put into this, especially Chris for beating the paths and putting up arrows. A ‘grown-ups’ event indeed.
Author: Jim Tinnion
Posted: Tue 24th Jul 2012, 11:35
This was another excellent LDWA event and I'd like to thank everyone involved in the organisation, manning the checkpoints, etc. etc., especially those that manfully had strimmed sections of the course. As a run/walker on the 8am start I was one of the first four on the trail all day (I only did the 50) and really appreciated it.

The route was generally obvious and I only went wrong when I failed to relate the instructions properly to the route I'd marked on my map some weeks earlier. I found the first sections to Acton Scott fairly easy going and enjoyed the valley from Chruch Preen up to Hoar Edge, a bit of Shropshire I'd not really seen before. From Acton Scott there were a few tough fields and I lost a bit of time trying to work out where to go where the route crossed the old Wenlock - Craven Arms railway, fortunately Chris Myles helped me work it out. I went wrong again on the way up to Norton Camp with the old left / other left problem which cost me half a mile of bonus jogging. I found the fields across Corve Dale very tough going and slowed to around 3mph here before getting going again after I begged some extra water at North Sutton.

My friend Em's rogue aid station at Stokegorse was very welcome on the way up to Abdon Burf, and I enjoyed the very boggy trackless section over to Brown Clee. The first 10am starters caught me at CP3 - Chris Dunkerley from the National Trust was clearly on a flyer - I believe he went on to finish the hundred in 24:09. I ran with Chris and another 10am starter almost to Wilderhope and then flogged the rest of the way up the railway and the newer path along the edge of the quarry (hope that's allowed). My back was playing up and with the CCC in a month's time I didn't want to push on after Wenlock so I left it as a successful completion of the 50 I'd entered.

Thanks to everyone again, I had a great time and I hope you all did too...
Posted: Mon 23rd Jul 2012, 14:40
my thanks go to the marches group and any other helpers on this event,not forgetting WILLIAM PENNY BROOKES rip.considering the horendous weather conditions prior to the event i was probably as glad as you were that conditions on the day were excellent,it was obvious as we did the walk that an enormouse ammount of preperation had recently been done to vegetation groath and stile repairs. the route description was certainly different to what we are used to but this made a map essential and at night the gps a godsend .question here for fellow walkers who travelled from clee burf to abdon burf during the hours of darkness and without reecee ,was there any resemblance of a track between these points?,we used gps route to the letter and found the said gate,airmans memorial and eventually the toposcope but definetly nothing to resemble a path, we arrived at cp3 about 1 am totally exhausted feeling we had just done 12 rounds with mike tyson,what was your story and dont tell me that you took the lower shropshire way path and climbed back up to abdon as that was not the route setters intention!.just a final thought ,of the 120 or so who were down to do the 100 only 32 attempted it, brave souls by any standard,the 53 miler was plenty enough .
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Mon 23rd Jul 2012, 6:04
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Would just like to add my thanks to the organisers. Well organised event with plenty of food. My partner was made welcome at checkpoints as she travelled round. Cracking route. Just wish I had been fit enough to do the second 50. Regarding route descriptions, I prefer a concise format to the tomes produced on some events.
Posted: Mon 23rd Jul 2012, 0:55
Although I enjoyed the walk and will add my thanks to the organisers, I have to disagree about the route description. While that for the Games 100 may have been a little too detailed (I don't really need warning that wooded areas can contain roots or fallen branches, which it's possible to trip over), this one went too far in the opposite direction - we were given about every fifth point of the route and left to work out the rest for ourselves. I'll admit that I'm not the world's greatest navigator, and have got lost on other challenge events, but never before have I managed it within the first two miles (or had to climb barbed wire fences when I found myself on the wrong side of them).

Provision at the checkpoints was fantastic (particular thanks and congratulations to whoever made the cake which was being served at Craven Arms!), but as a suggestion for next year, would it be possible to have another one somewhere in between Abdon Burf and Much Wenlock? It's not about the food - I had plenty of that - but more about a CP as somewhere to take a break, sit down for a bit and attempt to recover whatever wits you may have lost since the last one. When it's broad daylight and I'm still fresh, 10-15 miles between CPs is fine, but further into the walk and at night I wouldn't mind them being slightly more frequent. Negotiating Brown Clee at 1am had been playing tricks on my mind, and I decided I couldn't face the prospect of another 5-6 hours' walking through the middle of the night with no break.
Posted: Sun 22nd Jul 2012, 20:37
Wonderfull route (50m) which I did, all delivered with the usual Marches generosity and efficiency. At CP3 there was a "food mountain" capable of feeding a small village - how do the Marches manage this, yet other events produce virtually nothing? Wish I had been hungrier, so many favourite foods to choose from.

Route description was all we needed, mark the map up and go, perfect, I never have quite seen the point in pages and pages of detailed instructions. This is the format I enjoy.

Unfortunately I had a very "bad day at the office", I felt off colour from the start and never really got going, so my personal enjoyment wasn't great - but that was me, not the event.

Well done Marches but a pity about all that ruddy sunshine, I had been counting on rain and drizzle.......you may disagree!

Matt.
Posted: Fri 20th Jul 2012, 17:31
In Shropshire to-day the sun has shone, the sky is blue and passing cars are raising dust from the track along Wenlock Edge. A bit of rain would lay it but the forecast is for a long, hot summer weekend. Its looking good and the first walkers are arriving at the Event Centre. Carry plenty of water, wear a sun hat and you will enjoy a wonderful event. See you tomorrow?
Author: Geoff Sproson
Posted: Fri 20th Jul 2012, 13:39
Hi all
Sorry about website problems
I have now left home (for the event, not for good!)
Thanks to all those who let me know if they couldn't make it.
If you need to contact me it will have to wait until tomorrow morning.
Event control from 6.00am
emergency number at Priory Hall - 07890018590
latest info is on the Marches Group Website
www.marchesgroupldwa.eu/
Geoff
Author: Alan Champion
Posted: Fri 20th Jul 2012, 8:21
And the Tesco at the garage on the opposite side of the main road in Bridgnorth is open from 6 am.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=372156&Y=293102&A=Y&Z=115
Posted: Thu 19th Jul 2012, 22:45
The Event Website is still down so I am using the forum for last minute information, in this instance for details of refreshment along the route:

The distances between CPs are twice as long as those on the traditional 100 so walkers should carry more food than normal to snack on between Cps and, in view of the forecast for sun and warmth, take plenty of liquid. Note that the Event centre is also used as the breakfast stop on the 100 miles. It will also provide tea and toast at the start and a light meal at the finish of both walks.

The full service CPs at Craven Arms and Ackleton will offer hot food and drinks plus toilets. The limited service Cps at Gaer Stone Farm, Clee Hill, Bridgnorth and Lt.Wenlock provide a variety of snacks, tea and coffee.

Walkers may wish to buy their own refreshments as the opportunity is presented along the route as follows:
i. The farm museum at Acton Scott has a cafe in the Old School House and toilets. The staff know of the walk and if you want to base their facilities tell them of the Evet at the entrance to the site.
ii.In Craven Arms their is a Supermarket(Tuffins) and a Sparconvenience store both off the rounddabout in the centre of the town, They are the last chance to re-supply before the return to the Event Centre.
iii. In Bridgnorth there is a Co-Op store on the Telford?Kidderminster road as you leave the town but you have to make a short diversion to visit it. It opens from 9am.
iv. In Worfield there is a small general store open on a Sunday morning from 9-10.30am.
v. Just off the roundabout south of Telford in line-of -site from it is a Cost Cutter convenience stire in the Murco Service station.
vi. In Ironbridge there is a choice of cafes open during social hours on a Sunday.

Keep an eye on this site for any further communique.
Author: Alan Champion
Posted: Thu 19th Jul 2012, 12:26
Matt; not being a subsciber to Lamarckian evolution I am sceptical about your feet - but please don't demonstate!

I got wet feet using the footings as stepping stones on Tues lunchtime, but as Chris got across dry-shod it obviously depends on how much is coming down the brook at the time. Perhaps Abdon CP (Chris?) will be able to give first-hand evidence as suggested. The diversion is easy and not very much further at all.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday. 10 o'clock starters I'm not expecting to recognise as I suspect we will all look somewhat the same by then...
Posted: Thu 19th Jul 2012, 11:18
We are not the first and certainly not the last organisation whose IT service crashes just at the time you need it most. However basic information about the Event can be found on the Group's Website at www.marchesgroupldwa.eu otherwise follow the lionks from this site. Now follows my final communique on the state of the route.

The situation has been dynamic for while I was surveying the route the rain was falling as cats and dogs chased by foxes to the extent that there were deep floods effecting western parts of the Route and a bridge on the Shropshire Way was swept away. However that was a week ago and the waters have now subsided. Indded though there have been light showers over the last few days there has also been plenty of summer sunshine with stong breezes that have begun to dry out the ground surfaces.

My current assessment is that the Route is in a surprisingly good condition giver the meteotological abuse it has received. The only problem, and it is minor, is that a foorbridge after Holdgate has been upset and is lying on its sude in the brook. I diversion around it has been signed but yesterday(Wednesday) I followed the County route and crossed the stream dryshod using the old stepping stones that have resurfaced. I suggest that if you know the Route then use it otherwise take the diversion. I darkness consider following the Shropshire Way but marshals at the Clee Hill checkpoint will give advise.

Other issies that have been raised on the Event forum have included:

a. Overgrowth. This is rather more lush than usual. I have cut back nettles and thistles from stiles. In most places where the path crosses cropped fields farmers have clear cut the right of way. One exception is an oiul seed rape field about a mile out of Culmington where the path is clear until it turns left along a stream then there is about 100metres of tangled stems until a cattle path is rerached so just be patient and endure. And where the same crop is encountered on the approach to |Telford there is now a broad tail throughit.

b.The scour channels through the potato fields after Worfield can be avouded by taking to tractor tracks either on or parallel clsoe to the Route.

c. The data sheets defining the route are not a full description and therefore a map' either paper or electonic, is essential and is your main means of navication. Where the roure is permissive and therefore unmapped, I have signed with Hi-vis orange or yellow arrows and this I have done also at obscure turns. I hope they will not ne sabotaged. Elsewhere all paths have county waymarks on stiles and gates or have sign posts at field boundaries.. I have repaiered "wonky stiles" and cleared the occassional fallen tree where passible.

d.There is mud that is deep in gateways used by cattle and extensive along the the western end of Wenlock Edge. It can be slippery on steep banks. Shallow puddles can be encountered anywhere. T advise the wearing of water repeelant footware with a good grip on the sole.. Also carry an ample supply of dry socks and proof your feet with Vaseline.

Finally the really good news. Summer is forecast to arrive this week end so you might need sun protection.
Posted: Tue 17th Jul 2012, 22:56
The barefoot has rather gone by, it simply doesn't work on the hills in the wet - no grip and I fall over every 5 yards when on a slope. Given the winter and summer we've had, I'm back in shoes, for now.
Posted: Tue 17th Jul 2012, 19:27
Are you still running barefoot - will you be doing so on Saturday - it might be the best option
Posted: Tue 17th Jul 2012, 18:55
Weather is fine. We have planted a rice paddy field in the garden and my toes have the start of some webbing, don't want it to dry up now that I'm getting acclimatised!
Matt.
Posted: Tue 17th Jul 2012, 17:02
Thanks - yes, there is a lot of info on there. Busy trying to blow the Jet stream north, but........more rain for tomorrow.
Anyone else getting just a little bit fed up with this weather.......??
Posted: Tue 17th Jul 2012, 9:10
Rebecca - keep looking at the event website and the - frequent - updates on the state of the route on the forum - especially the newest upbeat message from Chris Dawes! And just add your spiritual efforts to the collective prayers of the nation to shift the jet stream.
Posted: Mon 16th Jul 2012, 13:41
How are things looking for this weekend? I've heard the infamous jet stream is finally moving north allowing a high pressure front in for the weekend, but it's too late to help conditions underfoot. I went up on Sat and walked some of the 2nd loop and it was VERY soggy underfoot. Thinking of bringing my wellies and not joking at that!
Posted: Thu 5th Jul 2012, 17:24
Also meant to say - if you are joining in the parade on the 15th July - open to all entrants and helpers at the Wenlock Olympian games - please meet in the Gaskell field from 2.15 for the start at 3 - it will only take 20 minutes so long as the white pony leading the way behaves itself - a chance to wear your LDWA sweat shirt with pride.It should be a fun day - there is a display of Olympic gliders going on, quite a lot of the field events and a bit of a party atmosphere is promised.
Posted: Thu 5th Jul 2012, 14:45
Owing to some late cancellations we can now offer a very few places if you were one of the disappointed ones - please contact the entry secretary Geoff Sproson, Appletree, Stiperstones, Minsterley, Shropshire, SY5 0LZ T: 01743 791999, E: geoff@sproson.com - without delay!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law