Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Ivor's Dream 100

Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Tue 24th Sep 2013, 22:35
Local Group: Staffordshire
Thanks for the refund but I would have been happy for these monies to be put towards next years event, or a donation made to an appropriate project or charity in Cornwall/Devon - something aligned with the core purpose of LDWA. Do others feel the same? We could poll the membership and decide what to do should this opportunity arise again.
Author: Aaron Hookway
Posted: Tue 24th Sep 2013, 21:55
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Thank you Carl for a wonderfull momento of my first 100.

I have just watched the DVD of this years CamelTeign Ivors Dream 100. I came all over all emotional again watching me finish.

Thank you too. Cornwall&Devon LDWA

Roll on The Valleys100 !
Posted: Thu 19th Sep 2013, 19:56
Just a brief note to say that the results are now on their way. Apologies for the delay - they have been ready to go since the beginning of the month, but the treasurer has been waiting for the bank to supply the cheque books to enable her to make out the refund cheques - they have been ordered 4 times now and we have finally received enough to be able to cover everyone. We think the delay may have had something to do with the Lloyds TSB split that took effect recently. Anyway, the results will be franked and mailed tomorrow 20th September. Hopefully they will have been worth the wait.
Posted: Fri 6th Sep 2013, 20:28
The DVD will be posted out with the results shortly. We have both items ready to go, but need to co-ordinate diaries to do the physical envelope filling and franking - and cheque writing of course.
Author: Sandy Gee
Posted: Fri 6th Sep 2013, 20:20
Local Group: Calderdale
Thanks - I'd wondered what it was for.

Do you know when the DVD will be issued? I am moving soon and wouldn't like to miss it for postal problems in my homeless period before I move into my next house.

Thanks
Posted: Fri 6th Sep 2013, 17:59
As a result of the number of entrants exceeding all expectations, and savings being achieved in budgeted costs, we are delighted to be able to refund £8 to all entrants.
The refunds will be made using the same method as the original payment where possible; refunds by credit card were made on 26th and 27th August, and cheques will be sent out with the final results in September.
If a credit card has expired since the original payment was made, the refund will be made by cheque.

Annette Merchant
Entries Sec.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sun 25th Aug 2013, 20:45
Local Group: Merseystride
Radio 4 documentary on the 100, tomorrow at 11am ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b038xmd1

... then via iPlayer.
Author: Michael J Smith
Posted: Sun 16th Jun 2013, 16:09
Local Group: Cornwall & Devon
I am sorry I am unable to accept any more orders for shirts but you can still order a DVD .Please send me a cheque for £6 giving me your walk number or post code.
My address and who to make the cheque payable to is on the wbsite.
Author: Deirdre Flegg
Posted: Wed 12th Jun 2013, 17:17
Local Group: Dorset
Message for Mick Clayton: MIck-I have a great photo of you with your ice cream at Chudleigh Knighton, on the marshals. If you want to see it, please email Dorset Sec., who will pass on a message.
Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Sun 9th Jun 2013, 14:34
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
A few photos and a few more photos.
Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Sun 9th Jun 2013, 11:05
Local Group: London
DVDs: Maybe it would have been better to have asked for the money up front when completing the initial entry, then refund it on the day if there was insufficient interest. That way you know and have the budget in your hand.
Author: Tim Hughes
Posted: Sat 8th Jun 2013, 22:32
Local Group: Marches
@christoph on 3 June: yes, that'll be my address!
Posted: Fri 7th Jun 2013, 21:43
Just to confirm the position, we only asked people to indicate on the entry form if they would be interested in buying a DVD in order to determine whether it would be worthwhile commissioning Carl Dearing to come along. The initial production costs as you can imagine - are quite high and we didn't want to commission him to produce one if there wasn't going to be much interest. At the time, we had 250 expressions of interest, but these have only materialised into around 70 actual orders. So if you are one of those remaining 180 or so who expressed an interest but haven't yet put in an order, you need to do so, we will only be sending DVD's out to those who have ordered one. They will be issued with the results document in July.

Annette Merchant
Author: Terry Bound
Posted: Fri 7th Jun 2013, 15:19
Please order your Camel Teign Ivor's Dream DVD on the form from the merchandise page of the website.

Indicating that you were interested in a DVD on your entry form didnt mean you had ordered one, but just shown an iterest.

Please order as above
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Fri 7th Jun 2013, 9:51
how do we order a DVD - do we still use the form on the website?
Posted: Thu 6th Jun 2013, 21:29
I just checked & have found that although I had indicated on the original entry form that I would like a DVD, it isn't pre-ordered and hence I still have to order one.
I'm sure that other people may be as confused over this as I was.
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Thu 6th Jun 2013, 20:37
Local Group: Sherwood
On the subject of merchandise, could I ask if future organisers might consider getting clothing made in sizes that fit small women as well as men? I would love to have a sweatshirt as a memento of the 100, but the size described as "small" fits chest 35"-37" - that may be a small man's size but it is huge on a small woman. Frankly the size descriptions seem a bit sexist! (I see that next year's 100 lists an "extra small" size but even that is 36" - so not small at all by women's standards.)
Author: Michael J Smith
Posted: Thu 6th Jun 2013, 15:29
Merchandise Orders - Last orders for shirts, dvds or maps, must be received by Sue Smith by Saturday 15th June.
Author: Mac Bouchere
Posted: Wed 5th Jun 2013, 15:19
Hi all and congratulations to everybody who was involved in "Ivors Dream 100"
I was charged with taking some snaps of the event for the Cornwall and Devon Group and tried to record it from a perspective that illustrated some of what went on around the walkers.
Obviously many of the walkers are in the pictures, particularly at the Teignmouth Base and also the Scouts who took part. To view the photos please follow this link;

http://www.rocqueimages.com/pages/galleries.php

There are instructions on the web album on how to download copies if you want to. If higher quality files are required please contact my directly by email, mac@rocqueImages.com

The images are free for personal use by LDWA members though I retain copyright and would ask that they are not published without first asking my permission.
Author: Richard Plumley
Posted: Tue 4th Jun 2013, 11:11
Local Group: Bristol & West
Hazel, as I said before it was a real pleasure to walk with Lottie and Victoria ,I have a 3 year old grand daughter Lauren who loves being outdoors if she grows up to be anything like Lottie and Victoria I will be well pleased I will definately shepherd her towards joining the scouts/guides as I can see this has had a great bearing on the girls outlook on life ,my friend as you say is Bob Attwood and it is only because of his patience and care that I made it to the end.
Author: Carole Elizabeth Engel
Posted: Tue 4th Jun 2013, 5:25
Local Group: Calderdale
As a supporter this year, I would like to say how impressed I was by the hard work, cheerfulness and friendliness of the ladies on finishing duty in the hall. My supportee had to retire due to severe foot blistering and I was therefore at the hall several times during the weekend - Sunday mid-day/afternoon (to watch the first ones back come in) Sunday evening (to see some friends come in), early hours of Monday (ie 3am! - to cheer on everyone and anyone) and Monday after breakfast (for saying my goodbyes and relishing the fantastic atmosphere). During all these visits the same ladies were on duty and at all times they were as helpful and pleasant as they could possibly be despite their extremely long hours on their feet. They too deserve a badge and certificate for giving everyone such a fantastic welcome on their return to the hall. By the way, the food was excellent.
Author: Terry Bound
Posted: Mon 3rd Jun 2013, 22:07
Please could you post this on the forum on our behalf.

Simon, Alex and Victoria (pickle) Weal would like to say a big thank you to Cornwall and Devon LDWA for allowing us to be included in the 100 mile walk last weekend. It was such a wonderful opportunity for us as members of the Scout movement to take part in such an event. Everyone gave us a huge amount of support and we felt proud to be walking in Ivor's memory, and along such a fantastic route devised by him, that typically took us up and down a hill at every opportunity!

Victoria would like to say thank you to Richard Plumley and his friend for all their encouragement and guidance which enabled her to finish the walk. She hopes they did not find her music selection too 'young'

As a mother and supporter over the weekend, I want to say how friendly and helpful everyone was at New Bridge when I needed to find Victoria to give her new shoes to wear, and at the base at Teignmouth when Alex needed to call upon the first aid team.

What a well organised event and credit to all.

Simon, Helen, Alex and Victoria Weal
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Mon 3rd Jun 2013, 18:03
Local Group: Lakeland
I would not want to be anywhere other than the finish of a Hundred on the Monday morning, sharing the weekend's experiences and cheering in the last finishers. Do spare a thought though for the hundred or so walkers who didn't make it to the finish this year. I was in one of the "body wagon" crews, not the cheeriest of jobs. We collected a good number from various checkpoints, exhausted, many in pain and all bitterly disappointed at not finishing. There's nothing you can do to console people at that point, so the journeys to deliver them to Teignmouth were certainly devoid of scintillating conversation. Better luck next year.
Author: Stephanie Le Men
Posted: Mon 3rd Jun 2013, 13:14
Local Group: Kent
@Tim&Denise: Is your email address the one with "harrison" in it by the way? Christophe.
Author: Alan Stewart
Posted: Mon 3rd Jun 2013, 12:36
Magic, Magic, Magic, Magic, the route, the scenery, the weather, the good company. There were bad points and low points, there always are, but overshadowed by all the good bits, of which there were countless. Thank you Cornwall and Devon and all the helpers from other groups who gave us so much of their time including Mr Swampy, whoever he was, for such a wonderful event that allowed us to indulge our passion for long distance walking.
Posted: Sun 2nd Jun 2013, 21:19
Hi Stephanie. Denise speaking/typing now... How about supper at our's with rhubarb crumble as the piece de resistance? I was just so proud to know you and to support you on this mega event. There were other hundreders who I felt for as well including a lovely young lady from the Chester area who wasn't successful this time but 2014 is another year!
Posted: Sun 2nd Jun 2013, 20:51
Stephanie: looking after 'wonky walkers' is what check pointers do. - it's all part of the service!
I also enjoyed the video and was delighted to see the two of you finish.
Posted: Sun 2nd Jun 2013, 17:35
Stephanie, the only thing wrong with the foot note on my video is that some might consider them ugly. As far as blisters go, they were fine.
I'm glad that you liked my video (and to all others who have added their thanks). I hope the sickness has gone now. I see from other parts of the forum that you weren't the only one suffering from night sickness.
Author: Stephanie Le Men
Posted: Sun 2nd Jun 2013, 12:23
@ John: Many thanks for your film, we (the two frenchies) thought you were taking pictures the whole time! Christophe and I watched it with delight yesterday and we just wanted to be back there! I will show your movie to some friends to convince them about joining the LDWA (except the section on your foot however, this might put them off ;o)!
@ Organisers: The event was excellent. Despite feeling sick on the last 50 miles, I was motivated to go on by the scenary. Many thanks to all marshalls who helped me continue and a special mention to our 'neighbours' (staffordshire CP) Tim and Denise who went out of their way to find something I could eat.
A note from Christophe: the meal at the finish was absolutely delicious! mmh rhubarb crumble. ;o)
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Sun 2nd Jun 2013, 11:51
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Over the next few days I'm submitting around 30 of my photos of the 100 on here.... http://www.geograph.org.uk/tagged/Camel+Teigh+Ivor+s+Dream+100#photo=3487009 Unlike the photos in past Strider's my photos feature mainly the run of the mill walkers. ;-).
Posted: Sun 2nd Jun 2013, 10:49
Eileen, that's almost too-much-information!!
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Sat 1st Jun 2013, 23:11
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
yes a big thank you to everyone from me for this years 100! Absolutely my favourite one completed so far. We were lucky with the weather and the full moon. And with the late spring flowers blooming everywhere- wow! This made walking the road and lane sections a pleasure as the hedges had ferns,grasses and flowers growing in/on them! Beautiful.
A local asked us what walk we were doing. When I said a 100 miles from Wadebridge to Teignmouth he just shook his head as if to say "madness!" Which it was and we are but happily so!
After the event me and The Boyfriend camped at a lovely place near Ashburton until Saturday and we had more wonderful weather and time to relax and recuperate in the pretty Dartmoor area. I even managed to walk up a few Tors!
And it was great having The Boyfriend massage and tend to my unlovely feet at the breakfast stop and finish! He got his thanks after I regained my strength with local cask cider from the pub near Widecombe on the Moor!
Role on the Valleys 100...
Author: Steve Clark
Posted: Sat 1st Jun 2013, 18:55
Congrats to all who finished the 100 and commiserations to those who did not. It was a great w/e, the Cornwall and Devon group did a great job. Just watched John Pennifolds's video of the whole event, "brilliant" nice one John. Well done to Ivors scouts, they did great. Steve xx
Author: Alan Champion
Posted: Sat 1st Jun 2013, 15:46
Yes, a lovely moon. Who else saw the ISS, as bright as bright at 0255 Sun morning? I was just going up to the golf course above Tavistock and getting away from the lights.
Posted: Sat 1st Jun 2013, 15:38
No, according to my careful calculations, bogdodger = John White
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Sat 1st Jun 2013, 13:58
Local Group: East Lancashire
I'd like to add my congratulations to Cornwall & Devon group plus the army of marshals and checkpointers from other groups and Scouts for their organisation, efficiency and cheerfulness, posivitity and supportiveness over the whole of the Camel-Teign. With the beautiful weather and night-time markers in exactly the right places, it went like a breeze (and there was, some) from start to finish. A linear route involves so much more coordination and bag-shuffling than a circular one, and even that is hard enough, so particularly well done for getting gear and support materials to the right places at the right times. And Mr Swampy, who must have been standing in that marshy field for hours in the dark, plus, in my case, the man who took the trouble to transport my dropped tally card forward to the next checkpoint (and they even created a special replacement, just in case).

Problems ? The blocked toilets at Tavistock (gents anyway) - had to divert off for a surreptitious number two some time after leaving (yes, did cover it up, and later disposed of the paper), the inconsistently misleading route description (still went wrong in the dark after recce-ing most of the second half). Sleep deprivation - expected, but we were supposed to be able to remain on school site until 16.30 not 12.30, so after being unceremoniously chucked out four hours earlier than expected, spent the rest of the day dozing, slept through most of the train journey home, where had 18 out of 24 hours abed. Given that we are allowed to sleep over the full night before the event, could we not have even half of that time at the end ?

And what of Mr or Ms Blobby ? After all the hoo-hah about yellow paint blobs, I saw none at all on the event (and just two, possibly cycling-related, on the recce). Could he or she have been out with Mr Muscle beforehand, cleaning them off ? Could it have been a dream, a sleep-deprived delusion ? It's a mystery.

And where were the camels ?

Iain
Author: Steve Platt
Posted: Sat 1st Jun 2013, 11:59
I'd like to add my own big thank you to everyone involved in another excellent event. This was my fourth LDWA 100 (third completion) and as with the previous ones I was continually moved by the mutual help, encouragement and camaraderie along the way, from participants and volunteers alike. Everyone who gives up their time to help deserves our appreciation but I'm particularly grateful to those who do so through the night - and still manage to remain lively and cheerful! A special thank you, too, to Ken (I think, I was very tired at the time - from Lichfield, knotted hanky on the head, even more suburnt than me), who kept a quiet eye on me for a few miles towards the end of the second day after I'd told him I was suffering from a bit of heat stroke.

Highlights for me included: Seeing both Bodmin and Dartmoor in full sunshine, since I have rarely visited either when it wasn't raining. A narrow path lined with thick wild garlic (and not just because it was a lot less steep than I'd expected when I saw the contours on the map). The moon - oh, the moon - especially that blood-moonrise on the first night, and the sight of it reflected on the sea on the way down into Teignmouth.

The lowlights? That rocky track down to the final checkpoint was 'orrible. And that seemingly endless extra stretch from the finish following the tape round the houses to the showers and the sleeping areas - we should get a special certificate for that!
Posted: Fri 31st May 2013, 22:46
Alan, so you think 'bogdodger' is John Reynolds?
Posted: Fri 31st May 2013, 22:22
Some of the times seem a bit out...I walked into Bolventor with Roger Michell, but the spreadsheet got me there half an hour earlier. No matter, but I was using it to try to work out who "bogdodger" is in trigpointing, but I think I have you now, John! (Your log time on Brown Willy must be a bit out). Had you for a first-time 100er, because you hadn't logged them on previous 100s...
Posted: Fri 31st May 2013, 19:36
I have had an email from Philip Friede who has managed to take home a rucksack that doesn't belong to him. He also cannot find out who it does belong to from any of it's contents. I have not had anyone contact me about missing a rucksack, so if someone viewing this forum knows who might be missing a small blue and black “Eurohike” rucksack with nothing on it or in it to identify the owner except a Poppyline 50 mug with “Norfolk & Suffolk LWDA printed on it, then please would you contact me and or them.
I also have quite a lot of other lost property - too much to list so again, please let me know if you appear to be missing a hat, glove, compass, torch, clothing, mug, trek pole etc.etc.
Annette Merchant
Entries Sec and now "lost property administrator"
Author: Al Rodger
Posted: Fri 31st May 2013, 0:06
Ooops. It still had a "View by you only" tag. Now open to all.
Posted: Thu 30th May 2013, 22:54
Al, your Picasa link didn't work for me. I got error "Sorry, that page was not found."
Posted: Thu 30th May 2013, 22:52
Re: Mis-captions. I wasn't sure about exactly what was what on these & guessed. But now with my personal timings from the results and times from the photos, I should be able to correct any wrongs.
Author: Al Rodger
Posted: Thu 30th May 2013, 22:34
The astute observer will notice a mis-captioned photo on page 5 of John Pennifold's photos. Photo DSCO3061 cannot be CP8 Luckett as the bar is obviously not open. (The following photo DSCO3064 is Luckett showing somebody diving on our yoghurts.)

And here is a handful of images that are also from CP8.
https://picasaweb.google.com/108549032882048528949/CornwallDevon100
Author: Nic Arb
Posted: Thu 30th May 2013, 18:26
To John Pennifold: thank you for this great video.
Author: Ian Crawford
Posted: Thu 30th May 2013, 13:41
Local Group: Wessex
Ken , thank you for the rapid results. Please note that I finished at Checkpoint 9 and completed 57.3 miles as confirmed on my certificate. Unfortunately there was a complication with my tally card. Kind regards, Ian
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Thu 30th May 2013, 13:26
I did miss them - found them now at http://www.ldwa.org.uk/lgt/downloads/2013Hundred/Marshals_Walk/Marshals_Event_Results_sheet.pdf
Posted: Thu 30th May 2013, 13:24
Are the marshals results going to appear soon - or have I missed them?
Author: Ken Falconer
Posted: Thu 30th May 2013, 11:52
Local Group: Heart of Scotland
Results now available at Camel-Teign Ivor's Dream Results
Author: Ken Falconer
Posted: Thu 30th May 2013, 11:50
Local Group: Heart of Scotland
Author: John Manning
Posted: Thu 30th May 2013, 11:35
What a wonderful event - well done and thank you to Cornwall and Devon LDWA and to all the volunteers at checkpoints along the way. Stunning scenery, perfect conditions, great company, a shining moon, what more could we ask?

Here is a link to pictures I took on the event - http://www.flickr.com/photos/tringrc/sets/72157633806346356/
Author: Peter Jull
Posted: Thu 30th May 2013, 9:41
Reading ahead shortly after leaving Larcombe Farm “stony track, signed ‘Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles’. Continue for 1530 yds” was almost enough to make me give up. I certainly rewrote the sign ‘Unsuitable for LWDA Challenge Events’ mentally. Oh those stony tracks but as my first 100 experience I’ll defer to other’s view on the relative merits of the terrain although Dartmoor rather than Bodmin Moor for me. More chance to take in the views with a bit less step watching for clods and rocks to not trip on or get a firm grip on.

The variety of food was impressive; a repetition avoiding achievement that I presume involved some co-ordination although I think some dishes may have overtaken me towards the end to reappear at another checkpoint. The volunteers serving it transformed appropriately from fast & efficient to caring & understanding as the event progressed.

Definitely got the hallucinations; even combed my hair ready for the photographer when I spotted him ahead. Where did he go to?

Definitely got long lost in the woods where I think I muddled the two Ramshorn Down signs and came out by the A38. I suspect I was somewhere on the part of the map unhelpfully obscured by the big checkpoint square. With no desire to go back into those [expletive] woods I followed a minor road until I spotted bobbing head torches below and finding a path heading that led that way the first torch I met turned out to be a sweeper who pointed out I was heading back towards Ashburton instead of Liverton. I thus got to experience the commendable efforts made to get the last stragglers home on time.

Even forewarned of the reception to expect, the resounding applause when I finished was surprisingly moving

Biggest disappointment - there was no ice cream van at Dartmeet when I got there.

Memo to next year’s 100 organisers, add plumber’s rodding coil to checkpoint kit list. What do Long Distance Walkers do to block so many toilets?
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Wed 29th May 2013, 20:35
Local Group: Sherwood
And - in addition to everything else - a thousand blessings on the person who saw fit to ensure that there was coco cola at almost every checkpoint. I don't normally touch the stuff, but on this occasion it was superfuel for a super event. Next year's organisers please note :-)
Author: Francis Hay
Posted: Wed 29th May 2013, 20:17
Local Group: Surrey
Many thanks to all involved for a memorable 100 - even arranging the weather. From the band at the start to ALL check point volunteers and the wonderful warm welcome at the finish. To the clever folks who flagged and marked so much of the route a BIG help for us 2nd night types. To all the friends I made on the way and during the "reccie" walks. To Catharine for your company. Many memories but best "The Swamp Fairy" AND of course dawn over Teignmouth golf course and then a splendid view of the finish - a super bonus for us 2nd nighters. And finally the BEST thanks to my own supporter always there at all accessible CP's on BOTH nights :-)
Author: Andrew Gilbertson
Posted: Wed 29th May 2013, 20:12
A Dream Came True!
I think this was my favourite 100 to date. Fabulous weather for those of us who like sunshine and cooling breezes.
The Camel Trail was much better for walking than I expected.
Brown Willy afforded better views than the last time I was there in 1975.
Food brilliant, I gained 2 kilos.
CPs well spaced out. Well done and heartfelt thanks to all who gave up their Bank Holiday to help us have a great time.
I read on the Forum that others suffered from night time nausea, thought it was just me. I think it may be brought on by the blinkering effect of using head touches.
Luckily for me I only get retching, although this must be off putting for anyone walking nearby as it tends to be very loud.
Bodmin Moor a delight, we walked near to where we scattered my Father's ashes he wrote :
Last Will.
Go to that quiet place,
You know where I mean;
The dragon flies, the stream
And scatter them there.
We also walked near to where my brother lived, for a short time, close by Minions.
The orange moon brought a smile to my face. Thoughts of once in a blue moon, and blue moon you saw me standing alone. It was wonderful to see a shooting star, and my rather obvious wish came true, as both my wife (Gill Howe) and I finished together.
We took our time enjoying the scenery, that's my excuse for walking well into the second night.
The walking was pleasantly varied, with rivers, woods, open moor, enclosed lanes, hills and flat sections.
Ivor must have planned for a long time using detailed knowledge of the area to come up with such a well thought route. Maybe he put a word in with the Powers Above to give us perfect walking weather.
Thanks again,
Andrew Gilbertson and Gill Howe.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Wed 29th May 2013, 19:13
Kathryn - I agree - thanks to Swamp Fairy (I assume he is one of the Irregulars) for guiding us through the awful mud before Chudleigh Knighton For his service and attention to the needs of the walkers, he deserves special mention. It must have been a long and cold stint out there.
Posted: Wed 29th May 2013, 16:56
John, you have reminded me; yes I did as you looked perfectly dressed for the mission! We also fractionally missed that little upper path together and I think that was the last I saw of you until your great video.
Author: Kathryn Tytler
Posted: Wed 29th May 2013, 16:54
Just follow me and I will guide you safely through the mud,” said the man who emerged from the bushes, his headtorch shining through the darkness.
“And who are you?” I asked.
“I am the Swamp Fairy,” he replied, “I will make sure you get to the other side.”
And he did. Thank you, Swamp Fairy.

And a special thank you to the man from Staffs who went to the shop in Ashburton to get me a packet of crisps when I was craving salt
Posted: Wed 29th May 2013, 14:47
Ian, I remember you. Didn't you say to me "I like your kit!"?
Posted: Wed 29th May 2013, 13:04
John, thank you for a lovely and enjoyable memento of the event particularly as I was unable to complete the course. The last sections looked extremely arduous! Congratulations for not only managing to complete it but also filming it at the same time. I'm the guy in the blue top not far from the start with the greenery and ferns in the background.
Author: Ian Walker
Posted: Wed 29th May 2013, 12:33
Local Group: South Wales
"the chap who chatted with me up Kit Hill whose name I've forgotten, the guy with the broken feet who squirted blister juice at Tavi and was hobbling along in crocs at Chudleigh, still going"

Jim: both those people were me! Great to meet you at the weekend and well done for getting through and giving me the benefits of your recce on Kit Hill.

Thanks to all the organizers of the event - it was incredibly tough on the feet (especially that last climb up the golf course!) but I'm so pleased to have completed my first 100. The marshals and checkpoint helpers were uniformly wonderful.
Posted: Wed 29th May 2013, 9:58
I have now compiled my video.
Here are clickable links to my set of photos & videos:
Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/john_pp/sets/72157633742092014 I am still adding titles to these & may still take a few days
Official Start video: http://youtu.be/z72rrKFi6fE
My Personal Finish video: http://youtu.be/AYuWWbrFKsA
Full Event video: http://youtu.be/p752OFcoRis
Author: Albert Bowes
Posted: Wed 29th May 2013, 8:51
Local Group: North Yorkshire
Many thanks to Cornwall & Devon Group for hosting a great event, nothing was too much trouble for them, smiling faces wherever you went. Thanks to all the volunteers on the checkpoints who also helped to make the event a memorable one. The reception at the finish was overwhelming, we returned on the Monday morning to see the final entrants finish and there must have been 200 people in the hall to welcome them in.

This is the 3rd Cornwall & Devon Group 100 that I've participated in, all great in their own way, but one thing in common, great weather. Special thanks to Julian and family who were on the final checkpoint, their encouragement was second to none.
Author: Jim Tinnion
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 23:43
This was my first Hundred and I had a really tough time from around the Tamar crossing, but I found some fellow sufferers and with great support from them, the checkpoint teams and my partner who came to Princetown, Dartmeet, Ashburton and then walked with us from Chudleigh Knighton to the end, I managed to tough it out.

There are some pics here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4960339494011.1073741826.1464764102&type=1&l=f4961f8cce

Special thanks to Wendy, Tara, Fabrice, Andrew, Paul, the chap who chatted with me up Kit Hill whose name I've forgotten, the guy with the broken feet who squirted blister juice at Tavi and was hobbling along in crocs at Chudleigh, still going, Sue for her inspirational determination on the climb from Larcombe and most of all to Dave O for generally taking the mick and keeping me going all the way from Dartmeet to the end.

Highpoint: realising that we still had enough speed to overtake a baby buggy at mile 86. Low point: 2 minutes later when we realised we'd gone the wrong way in the course of the wild passing manoeuvre.

Great event, superbly organised. Thank you to everyone involved.
Author: Peter Ibison
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 20:13
Local Group: Staffordshire
Like to add my appreciation to Devon & Cornwall LDWA for organising the 100. I thoroughly enjoyed it, from the send off at Wadebridge (including the band) to the many volunteers at the checkpoints also doing the long hours. Thank you all.
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 17:17
Just viewed Johns photos cant help noticing that if they were not in order you would have a job to tell the start and finish by the state of the walkers,they all look as if even after 100 miles they could get on a bike and ride home probably as far as scotland,this is a far cry from the 40+hour walkers like me who needed help and a mobility scooter just to get to the car park where I was placed in the seat like a sack of spuds,as you can probably guess by the time I have spent one finger typing I am house bound probably for the forseable future
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 16:55
Thankyou Garfield,its easy with your help
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 16:42
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 16:21
being fairly new to computing I would like to see John Penfolds photos but not sure how to access them? help!
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 16:10
Back in Chester after a rain-sodden drive back from Teignmouth. Did we really have a window of perfect weather for two whole days, where the sun shone and the breeze was gentle? Did we really have a magical moon and misty dawn, and perfect conditions underfoot? And were the checkpoints filled with sumptuous food and smiling, friendly faces? And, finally, did my feet manage to sustain the beating they took stoically and carry me to the finish without a whimper?
No, I have clearly been hallucinating again and this was just a dream conjured up by Cornish Piskies. But if there was to be a perfect 100, it would be like my dream.
Thanks, to every single one of you.
Author: Trevor Brown
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 14:17
Local Group: Wiltshire
I would like to thank all those who organised and supported this great event. Cornwall and Devon in particular but also those groups who ran the Checkpoints and provided us all with a great welcome, humour, encouragement and superb catering. From my viewpoint it was prefectly organised--I'm sure that behind the scenes there were many dificulties but you hid it from us!
As for the weather and ground conditions, they were perfect.
By the way, the band at the start were magnificent.
Thank you.
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 13:53
Thank you John for a great set of photos and my family are pleased that I am included early on the Camel Trail (No DSC02765). Cornwall & Devon organised a brilliant event and such lovely people as well and the checkpoint manning by the Groups was outstanding. Unfortunately I failed to finish after losing the route for 2-3 hours but I was flagging anyway and the thought of another 42 miles was too much of a challenge. Nevertheless it was a very memorable event and congratulations to all those who made it ! When I am reenergised I need to return to the forum and personally thank all those who helped me.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 12:42
My thanks to everyone who made this happen.

Particularly to Cornwall and Devon LDWA (for organising such a great event- and for planning such a wonderful route) and to all the checkpoint teams who supported us so well. This is the LDWA, working at its extraordinary best.

In addition, we had perfect weather, two clear nights, and full moon... well, that is really something else.
Posted: Mon 27th May 2013, 22:16
Ticks: Just a little warning. I've just used my 'Pet Tick Remover' to remove one of the aforesaid creatures from my ankle. I'm surprised that it got through my tight knee socks.
Posted: Mon 27th May 2013, 20:46
Here the link to my video of The Official Start: http://youtu.be/z72rrKFi6fE
Posted: Mon 27th May 2013, 20:13
I have uploaded my photos to Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/john_pp/sets/72157633742092014/
I have shrunk the photos for the upload, but if you require a copy of the (much larger) original, drop me a note, either here on the Forum or as a comment on the photo(s) in question.
I am still adding titles, which may take a few days. I have yet to start on my video, but I'll post the link to that as soon as I can.
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Mon 27th May 2013, 19:14
Local Group: South Wales
I concur with all of the comments typed to date. This was a special 100. The organisation was faultless and the weather really did help to ensure that the route was there to be seen and enjoyed. My personal favourite aspect of the route was walking alongside the tamar valley at night under a full moon, enjoying a mist inversion with a shooting star flying through the sky above!
The welcome and hospitality at all checkpoints was so humbling and particularly at the finish.
Just superb!
Posted: Mon 27th May 2013, 14:01
Arrived home this morning,bath with a little help and 4 hours sleep still feel a little rough .IVORS DREAM will fondly be remembered by me, the teignbridge scouts were an inspiration to us all we had the great fortune to meet with Lottie and Vic [Pickles] ages 19 and 20 and complete the Ivors Dream together ,they were great company Ivors Dream must have included music whilst you walk a new idea to me we had 42 hours of Pickles music choices ,Ivor would have been very proud of them ,and on the final hurdel climbing back up to Teignmouth golf course we played I spy with my little eye to take the pain away ,I would like to personally thank all our friends in the C+D for all their hard work making it easy for us [did I actually say that?] and all the other ldwa groups and scouts your endevour to look after us with a smile and encouragementwas greatfully recieved.special mention for Mick Clayton and his merry band of helpers who braved freezing conditions for many hours out in the stony wilds of Larcombe farm in a gazebo-comendable indeed [must remember the pain of those stony tracks in darkness ]
Author: Mark Garratt
Posted: Mon 27th May 2013, 13:24
Local Group: Heart of England
Yes couldn't agree more a superb 100 which we stay with me for the rest of my life , fantastic route ,fantastic checkpoints with food which was spot on , coca cola at every checkpoint and great vollanteers . 10/10 to Cornwall and Devon team and all the other helpers and organising at checkpoints commitee etc you done Ivor proud
Author: John Sparshatt
Posted: Mon 27th May 2013, 12:26
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Congratulation to the Cornwall and Devon team for organising this year's hundred. Good checkpoints, good food, a super route and helpful and cheerful volunteer staff at all the stops. The weather was much better than expected all of which contributed to a successful event. Ivor would have been proud to have been part of this event.
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Mon 27th May 2013, 12:08
What a great event and we couldn't have asked for a better weekend weather wise.Really enjoyed the route,and glad some of the road section up to Lavender House hotel had been re-routed through the park which was lovely.Thanks to the checkpointers, helpers and to the friends I made en-route,and above all, thanks to Ivor for having the vision in the first place. What lovely memories.
Posted: Thu 28th Jun 2012, 21:21
I found it very moving to read in Strider about the conception of the Camel Teign 100. Every challenge walk starts with a dream - usually someone walking the area they know and love and thinking how they can share it with other like minded people. I didn't know Ivor - but the account of his enthusiasm and commitment to his dream presents a vivid picture and I am sure that next year’s 100 will be a fitting tribute to him. The event is very aptly named.
Being a pedant - I just have a slight concern about the camel on the logo. According to Wikipedia - the fount of all knowledge - "The name Camel derives from the Cornish language for 'the crooked one', a reference to its winding course"

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law