Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Which waterproof?

Author: Nic Arb
Posted: Sun 2nd Mar 2014, 10:25
Local Group: Kent
Read in http://forum.tz-uk.com/: Paramo is excellent but styled by a one eyed blind man
Author: David Keltie
Posted: Sat 8th Feb 2014, 10:56
Local Group: Marches
Thanks Amorel, that's just what I wanted. Raymond, as I said I've hardly worn them, so they're not quite at the trade in stage......
Author: Raymond Wilkes
Posted: Sat 8th Feb 2014, 10:45
Local Group: West Yorkshire
When your Paramo is to worn out to sell, you can trade them in at certain Paramo outlets and get a discount on your next one. Check Paramo website for details.
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Fri 7th Feb 2014, 16:38
Local Group: Sherwood
I think you'll find that people post items for sale in the "Notice Board" section of the forum.
Author: David Keltie
Posted: Fri 7th Feb 2014, 14:45
Local Group: Marches
I've got a couple of Paramo Jackets I've hardly used and would like to sell on. Is there a members' classifieds section on here? Or would be acceptable to advertise them via this forum? Thanks.
Posted: Sun 19th Jan 2014, 20:50
Yes, all Paramo too hot in summer, but then so are most water proofs, although most are lighter to carry

My wife uses a short sleeved T shirt under Paramo which is a lot cooler, but not cool enough for full summer

We also try a large umbrella, Paramo cover, T-shirt and short shorts in hot showery weather, but you can end up soaked!

But nothing beats Paramo in cool and cold weather
Posted: Sun 19th Jan 2014, 18:14
I bought a Paramo Alta Two over a year ago. It keeps me dry even in torrential and persistent rain. I like the length of it as well. The only problem is I get far too hot if I wear it in the summer months.
Posted: Sun 5th Jan 2014, 21:16
I have been using Paramo since they started, I wore a prototype, and I find them great for cool or cold weather walking.
A couple of years ago I bough the 'Hoodie' which is a water repellant fleece which is intended to be warn under a Paramo windproof. This combo does extend the Paramo season well into warm weather but will still be too hot in hot weather. And it has let me down in severe rain.
Wearing the Hoodie under any waterproof garment (Paramo, Goretex, Barricade) is very advantageous in keeping you dry.
Except when it is very wet or very cold I wear a Paramo waterproof straight over a base layer and adjust my comfort by adding /removing gloves and hats. I notice most of my friends will be wearing a fleece under the Paramo and saying they are too hot!
I am a complete fan of Paramo and only wear Goretex or Barricade when strong wind and heavy rain in combination are forecast.We go walking regularly irrespective of the weather.
Every one is different and has to find their own best solution but I think Paramo is a good place to start.
Any waterproof is likely to lead to overheating on a long or fast walk. So if I come across shelter, I take mine off, shake it and put it back on. In helps to cool down and it helps with condensation.
I often get asked if I have shares in Paramo! No, I just think they are the best thing by far.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sun 17th Nov 2013, 9:47
Local Group: Mid Wales
The OMM Kamleika waterproofs should do the trick. I had a set of the originals which are kind of stretchy and soft material, very easy to walk/run in. Have a look at them if you can find some.
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Sat 16th Nov 2013, 23:50
Local Group: East Lancashire
I recently joined the Paramo club... seems to work and is quite quiet. [anagram...)

I also picked up some Berghaus (Goretex I think) waterproof over-trousers, which have a tendency to create a subtle rustle... Hmmm. May have to dig out the old MP3 player to drown out the sound.

I think when you are working hard uphill, you don't notice the sound so much ;)
Author: Ben Cooley
Posted: Sat 16th Nov 2013, 19:33
Paramo stuff is pretty much rustle proof and good for UK winters. For lightweight (Very lightweight) walking, try looking at OMM waterproofs. My partner used an OMM jacket on the recent OMM in the Brecons when the weather was appalling. I got soaked in my old Gore-Tex Paclite (which rustled like hell) and he stayed pretty dry.
Author: Peter Jull
Posted: Sat 16th Nov 2013, 17:02
Local Group: Kent
I have a perhaps irrational irritability with waterproofs that rustle while you walk to the extent that I’d rather get wet than wear them unless it’s also windy or cold. Can anyone recommend a make or material that’s quiet that I can put on my Christmas list? I hibernate in extreme conditions so it doesn’t have to be super high performance.
Author: Ian Francis Dyer
Posted: Tue 17th Jul 2012, 20:39
Local Group: Lakeland
A good link: thank you !
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Mon 16th Apr 2012, 18:06
If you are befuddled by all the options for waterproof rain kit, and no idea which material or make are best, have a read of this, which explains everything. Including performance, care and what we should realistically epect from our purchase.
The article doesn't point to a "best fabric" but there are some interesting sentences in there that give food for thought before you shell out mega-bucks for the latest designer gear.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4556
Matt.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law