Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - The 100 - sleeping at the finish

Author: Norman Corrin
Posted: Sat 28th Apr 2012, 15:36
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Hi Armorel

That's correct the size and weight limit on bag in the event rules applies only to the breakfast bags for the event. However (and there's always one of those...) please bear in mind that over the course of the weekend there will be some 650 plus people (entrants and supporters and marshals) staying in the school so keeping overnight baggage to a bare minimum would be much appreciated. Collapsible kitchen sinks most welcome!

Games 100 Organising Committee
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Tue 24th Apr 2012, 22:21
Local Group: Sherwood
And another question from me. Does the size (and weight) limit on bags given in the event rules apply only to breakfast bags, or to overnight bags as well? Not that I'm planning to bring the kitchen sink, but by the time I've put a sleeping bag and mat in an overnight bag, it runs the risk of being outside the quoted size limits.
Author: R Neil Higham
Posted: Sat 21st Apr 2012, 0:13
Local Group: Kent
Iain, at your service, Sir

I have checked with "them what know about these things" and the response is as follows:-

"Camping will be available at the Windsor HQ (Trevelyan Middle School) from Friday night onwards. There is no formal camp site, but the school have kindly agreed that people can pitch small tents on an area of their playing field which is not marked out for games. All vehicles at the school must be parked on hard standing and cannot use the field, which means that anyone who is camping will not be able to park on the field next to their tent. We have access to the school site until midday Monday to allow time for people to leave and for the organisers to clear up and restore the school to its normal state.

It would help if those people planning to camp at the school in Windsor could notify the organisers in advance to give us an idea of numbers if they have not already done so. Please contact jandaelrick@btinternet.com with the details."

Hope that this answers your question - I suggest that you do (re-?)confirm your intentions to the e-mail address shown.

Games 100 Organsing Committee
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Wed 18th Apr 2012, 12:39
Local Group: East Lancashire
I am also intending to sleep at the finish, but camping overnight Friday and Sunday (or rather Monday morning - later start time might avoid 7-mile tramp on main roads to Windsor but ensures 2nd night).

Neil, would you please confirm that camping is available at the Windsor HQ site (any limits for space reasons, number of vehicles etc. ?), and up to what time *beyond* 10am Monday. (My anticipated finish time is 2 am plus at least 8 hours sleep, but if I wait for Windsor Great Park to open it will be after that). (Availability after 10am Monday might also apply to the gym, but you may not have building access after that time; camping probably less restricted.)

Do we need to (re-)confirm intention to camp at Windsor site (don't remember if it was included in the registration details) ?

Iain
Author: R Neil Higham
Posted: Tue 17th Apr 2012, 22:44
Local Group: Kent
Hi Armorel

I have checked the position with those who are in charge at Trevelyan, who have confirmed that the gymnasium is set aside for sleeping, but it is NOT segregated.

It is certainly best to have some form of camping mat but, as with many issues, we leave it to the individual – however, you may well be so shattered that you will even fall soundly asleep on a hard floor. You may feel cold / shivery at the end, even in the heat of summer, so it is best to bring a sleeping bag which also helps to soften the floor! (perhaps).

The finish of a 100 is one of the few places / times known to man (and woman) when it is possible to see, at 17:00 on a Sunday afternoon, some 50 to 100 bodies lying in assorted positions in a room, some snoring gently and completely oblivious to everything, others barely awake and not knowing whether it is Easter Day or quarter past three!

Obviously, the most important issue is that vehicle drivers MUST ensure that they get some good shut eye before departing - even if their home is only 10 miles away.

Regards

Games 100 Organising Committee
Posted: Fri 13th Apr 2012, 19:59
Thanks, Roy - that will help me to prepare accordingly!
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Wed 11th Apr 2012, 19:44
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Hi,Armorel.
Yes you assume correctly, bag & mat needed,useually sleep in gym/room male female separate, quite good unless you're a light sleeper,(light noise movement etc).
Must admit i'll sleep in the car Friday & Sund if i'm lucky for peace & quite.
Make your choice! Good Luck! Roy.
Posted: Tue 10th Apr 2012, 19:06
Can someone with previous experience of 100s tell me what to expect of the facilities for sleeping at the school at which the walk finishes? In particular, I'm assuming that I need to take my own sleeping bag and camping mat - am I correct in this?

I'm just weighing up whether to go for this option (especially in view of the uncertainty about what time I'll actually finish), or whether to book a nearby hotel (which then has to be walked to, so not terribly attractive on that front!).

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law