Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Self heating meals

Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Tue 3rd Apr 2012, 17:37
Local Group: Mid Wales
I definately agree with Ben, far better to take lightweight cooking gear and simple dried foods (noodles, cous cous, pasta, mug shots) loads to chose from + there is nothing to beat a hot drink (tea, coffee, soups, chocolate) morning and evening.
Lightweight gas and mug/pot are the simplest, though I like playing with meths and fire!! Have a think about it.
Author: Ben Cooley
Posted: Mon 2nd Apr 2012, 21:23
Local Group: Mid Wales
Bryan. I've tried a few self heating meals and never had much success, for instance a few Ive tried end up with very hot spots in one part, with very cold in another. I also think for what you get, they are actually quite heavy. I would much prefer to stick with an ultra light gas stove, small gas bottle and a tin mug. Then use freeze dried food or pre-made (cheap) meals that just need heating up. You can also get in a brew or three - all without adding too much weight.
Author: Bryan Thorpe
Posted: Wed 28th Mar 2012, 20:56
Local Group: North Yorkshire
I am planning to bivouac overnight on my weekend walks and wonder if anyone has any recommendations for which self heating meals are best.I am looking for lightweight and just a small hot filler.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law