Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Help! Knee Surgery

Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Mon 9th Apr 2012, 20:59
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Thanks Eileen, I think I will get my knee done as consensus seems to say go for it from folks who have been in touch
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Tue 3rd Apr 2012, 18:36
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Best wishes to you John whatever you have done.
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Tue 27th Mar 2012, 1:11
Local Group: East Lancashire
Hi there.

I am no expert on knees, but have an interest as my wife struggles and will need a replacement sooner rather than later.

I also have a friend who was offered conventional hip surgery, and he declined in favour of hip resurfacing

The advice seems to be to seek out several different surgeons' opinions before jumping in, and certainly don't accept the first 'quote' that you are given. As an NHS patient, you are supposed to have choice... but the new GP consortia may be less wedded to this idea that the outgoing PCTs were under the last 'government'.

Here is the URL of a not too well populated web site looking at knees - which was started by the chap who set up the Surface Hippy - A Patient to Patient Guide to Hip Resurfacing forum.

http://kneesforyou.com/kneetalk/index.php?topic=12.0

For those interested in hips, here is the URL for the Hippy Forum..

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php

Contentious it may be, but my friend is back caving and skiing now very soon after his hip replacement.

Hope helpful

Peter
Posted: Mon 26th Mar 2012, 21:46
That's really bad news. Stopping doing what you enjoy doing is always a downer, but what is the alternative. I think you just have to accept that, that is how it has to be on this occasion and look forward to when you can resume things.
I have lots of customers who have had knee replacements and Arthroscopic surgery, I myself have had tears in both knees cartilates trimmed.
Some get back to better than before really quickly, whilst unfortunately some really struggle.
What I do know after listening to others and my own experience is that consultants are often over optimistic regarding recovery and I suggest you be open minded about that.
Dave.
Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Fri 23rd Mar 2012, 18:31
Local Group: East Yorkshire
After a few months of uncomfortable pain in my right knee I had an X ray which showed osteoarthritis. Subsequently, my Consultant has advised a partial knee replacement, inner part of right knee, where all cartilage has disappeared and bone on bone....does anyone have any experience of this operation. I could soldier on but deterioration could be rapid. The doc claims I could be 100% again within 3-6 months but I think of all the socials and holiday walks I will miss...confess to being on a low at the moment....

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law