Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - New Members

Author: Trevor White
Posted: Thu 22nd Mar 2012, 21:37
Local Group: South Wales
I am with you on the longer challenges as i am happy to get round the course the time is secondary. Now how will i fare on my first hundred, who knows, it's me against the clock. Can i get round before it stops. Roll on London lets find out.
Author: Katie Hunt
Posted: Thu 22nd Mar 2012, 16:03
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
Could I ask a question through this Forum? Do most groups advertise their Challenge Events locally? I am just wondering to what extent we are actively reaching out into our local communities to encourage people to take part in our Challenge Events. This is obviously an excellent way to get new walking members. So many people seem to be taking part in some kind of personal challenge e.g. a LDP or the Great Wall of China! You only have to pick up the local paper each week. I would imagine that there would be quite an interest in taking part in a challenge event amongst the population in the area of the walk - given adequate notice of the event taking place, giving them time to train for it - perhaps on our social walks. I only ask the question and it is probably standard practice for all event organisers.

As someone who plods along at the back of most events I take part in, I often wonder to myself where all the "normal" people are who might walk at my pace and feel a great sense of achievement at completing 26 miles. (Before you all yell at me - I do know that everyone who takes part in a challenge event feels that achievement and are right to do so) But I sometimes feel the world is populated by people who either run 26 miles or walk at 4mph+ pace for 26 miles. Then I go into the real world and find that I am indeed quite special to have walked 26 miles at the pace I do!

I would value your comments.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law