Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Cutting back LDWA surplus funds

Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Sat 10th Mar 2012, 17:41
Local Group: Surrey
I am very much with Norman on this. If people want to do charity walks, there are many available elsewhere. Our Challenge walks are for the pleasure of walking and the personal challenge, and I hope we are never misguidedly persuaded/seduced/blackmailed to hold them for anything else.
Author: Norman Corrin
Posted: Thu 8th Mar 2012, 19:35
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Doing events for charity is very worthwhile but that's adding extra pressure (or maybe an incentive?) which some participants on a challenge walk might not need. Why not do the event for solely the purpose of enjoying it? Have any of these people who may accuse us of being selfish ever done anything themselves?
Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Thu 8th Mar 2012, 17:25
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Good points both and I agreed with Tony at the AGM that we need to keep substantial reserves. Here in East Yorks we donate probably 50% of our income to charities. With the ever increasing costs of fuel, it is my contention that our active members and supporters should have assistance in financing recces and attending checkpoints. It is not unknown to have to do 2 or 3 recces for a social walk and to incur car expenses of the order of £50-60 or more.

I realise we are volunteers and we love our "hobby" but there seems to be some kind of martyrdom when it comes to gaining recompense. Essentially, by contributing our time and finances we are effectively subsidising other runners and walkers to compete in our walks and events.

Maybe the members should put up more specific projects that we on the Committee could consider, not just charity, how about a pr plan that says ....do you like walking? There's not only the Ramblers ...we do real walking that gets you fit.. LDWA... Anyway you get the picture, a recruitment programme to get new blood!

John
Author: Carol Coyne
Posted: Thu 8th Mar 2012, 14:05
Local Group: Surrey
I have been mulling over the discussion at the AGM about our association's surplus. I agree with Tony Willey that we should keep a fair chunk of it in case of emergencies. But I wondered what others thought of this as a suggestion ... let's allocate some of it to the fastest AND the slowest completers of selected challenge events to be donated to their nominated charity. Introducing it for the forecoming 100 seems a good opportunity to prove that our challenge walks are productive in ways other than personal (am I the only one who has been accused as being selfish by non-members for not seeking sponsorship??). The fastest for obvious reasons. The slowest to demonstate that FINISHING is what matters - not how fast you can 'march'. REACTIONS PLEASE

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law