Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Garmin Montana GPS

Author: Lisa Gittins
Posted: Tue 2nd Jul 2013, 22:11
Local Group: Merseystride
Yes Nigel the Garmin etrex 10 will do exactly that. It is a great machine for the price, I really cant fault it. (GPD user for 10+ years)
Author: Nigel John Pearce
Posted: Mon 10th Jun 2013, 21:11
Local Group: South Wales
I am new to long distance walking i usually run the trails but want to get my family fitter by taking them walking,whats a good hand held gps been looking at the e trex 10.i basically want to download a gpx file put it in the handheld and follow the route.will this do the job
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Mon 11th Mar 2013, 13:36
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Thanks Simon- I'll have a a play with it tonight.
Author: Simon Leck
Posted: Mon 11th Mar 2013, 10:45
Eileen,

You should just be able to connect your Montanna to your PC and it should see it as a new drive. You may need to download a USB driver from Garmin first. This can be found at www.garmin.com.
Once connected you should be able to navigate to the Garmin/GPX folder this is where all the GPX track files live. You can copy GPX route to and from this folder.
I can't remember if you can download information to the Montanna using Tracklogs. It certainly works with Memory-Map.

Simon.
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Fri 8th Mar 2013, 12:56
Hi all Montana. users

I've just got one which came with the OS Uk maps. I want to transfer one of the paths from this website onto my Garmin. Help is needed please!

I just download the track of the LDP from this site to my Mac/PC but then what? (I used the GPRx file or whatever it's called)

Do I have to download the Garmin software to transfer routes from either pc or Mac to my Garmin? I received no disks in my package- just the microSD card already inside the unit.So presumable the card just contains the maps?

Thanking you all for your help in advance (I hope!)
Author: Simon Leck
Posted: Mon 19th Mar 2012, 15:35
I've just purchased a shiny new Garmin Montana 600. I managed to get an ex-demo from ebay for £280 otherwise I couldn't have afforded one. I must say I'm impressed with it. However it's a very expensive piece of kit for what you get (rrp £430.) Although Handtec are doing them for £360 which is more reasonable.

Regarding the SatMap / iPhone / Garmin debate. It's horses for courses and really down to personal preference. Here's my thoughts...

iPhone / Android phone's are a cheap way to get mapping, however the phones aren't very rugged or water proof (solved by using an Otterbox etc.) and the battery life is an issue.

SatMap - Nice device and if does break down it’s backed by good customer support and uses cheaper mapping than the Garmin.

Garmin Montana - SatMap must have really spooked Garmin as this is their answer to SatMap. It now has a good display and is a lot faster machine. However map scrolling is still quite slow.

Memory-Map GPS - Memory Map's lack of software development is an issue with this device as this GPS doesn't provide basic navigation capabilities and it feels like it’s being rushed out into the market place
Posted: Wed 14th Mar 2012, 15:10
http://geocass.wordpress.com/2011/09/01/review-garmin-montana/

try this one, its caching related but should answer a lot of your questions!

Alex
Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Fri 27th Jan 2012, 21:22
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Hi all - just wondering if anyone has feedback on the latest Garmin GPS, the Montana with massive screen but expensive mapping. I saw Andy Ward's gizmo but has anyone else had chance to evaluate it yet? Battery life, mapping availability etc, etc

cheers

John

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law