Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Trailblaze

Author: Philip Powell
Posted: Tue 24th Jan 2012, 11:41
Local Group: Northumbria
David, thank you for posting this. I was unaware of Trailblaze until reading your post but looked at both the "official" site and the site for those who oppose this nonsense. I have absolutely no objection to runners who want to hare along at speed (to be honest, I'm not overly bothered about cyclists on suitable footpaths either) but this seems to be a ridiculous waste of public money that is being used to support a commercial enterprise.

I assume that anyone wishing to complete one of these "challenges" is capable of reading a watch - what else would one need to record one's time?

I would urge others to look at both sites, which are easily googled, and seriously consider signing the petition, as I have done, against such litter.
Author: Dave Hemmings
Posted: Sun 22nd Jan 2012, 20:53
Local Group: Marches
After rejoining the LDWA again,I found it interesting to read in strider about the movement against the Trailblaze boxes.I myself a runner who has enjoyed
taking part in many trail/fell events in the past few years and now looking at doing long events which are more relaxed like the events the LDWA organise. But I can see that this type of Trailblaze event/ challenge (depending on how you see it) must be seen as a great way to run on some of our National Trails and out in the countryside.I'am not saying that I disagree with the concept of the whole thing but by the way that it is done, the use of public money,the SI boxes size position etc etc, and I feel that the SI timing boxes that are put out for many events including Mountain Marathons fell and trail races adventure race and some challenge walks may be mistaken for the boxes used by Endurancelife and are removed/tampered with causing problems with the running of the events and even safety as they can be used as a last place of visit. I also disagree with some of the comments made on the say no to trailblaze web site by walkers who feel that public foot paths and national trails are for walking and no place for runners who they think should only pound the tarmac, many of my running friends who run on trail do so because they have come from a walking back ground and enjoy all that the countryside has to offer and do take time to take in the views.Endurancelife will attract the road running types who see every chance to run fast but also trail runners who like a challenge.If we could steer some of these types to Organisations like the LDWA//FRA/TRA then things like Trailblaze would not be needed. As I have said I do not agree with it and will not support it, but can not say the same for other runners.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law