Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Distance measuring & battery life

Author: Robert Barclay
Posted: Tue 28th Feb 2012, 20:31
Local Group: Heart of England
Hi Armorel
I use a Garmin Forerunner 101. It uses 2 x AAA batteries. They last about 12 -14 hours if using the best Duracells. I switch off and change batteries at a suitable checkpoint on long events, no problem. Switch back on again and it takes up where it left off. Downsides : it is fairly bulky for a wrist device and you need plenty of batteries for a 100 miler. Don't know if they're still available as I've had mine 4-5 years now. Use cheapo batteries and the time can be as short as 4-6 hours.
Author: John A Davies
Posted: Thu 19th Jan 2012, 17:04
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Hi Armorel.
I have a similar problem and have modified my GPS to reach about 16 hours by adding additional batteries inside. OK for a 50 I suppose. You could make up a battery pack to charge your existing GPS, but you would have a lead from your pack to the plug on your GPS at your wrist. I think that your only solution is one of those larger GPS's with replaceable batteries, and keep spares in your pack. You would need to check whether the new GPS held the data you needed while you changed the batteries though.
John.
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Wed 11th Jan 2012, 19:34
Local Group: Sherwood
I use a Garmin Forerunner 201 for measuring distance walked and speed - but it only has a battery life of about 11 hours, so is no good for something like the 100. Can anyone recommend a device that would do the same job but last for 36 hours or so on one charge? I'm not looking for any fancy functions apart from distance covered.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law