Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Granny Greenwood

Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Thu 22nd Dec 2011, 19:51
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Thank you Janet for your hostel advice! I will keep it in mind for the new parents thank you. It sounds great to me.

But as for becoming a grandparent- you will just have to wait. As for me- like my motherhood,grandparenthood came unexpectantly!

And grandson (from lovely daughter by the way) is already too heavy for me to carry. At what age can I take him out on a 20 miler?? Just joking. Hopefully the LDWA will become less of a grandma/grandpa group and attract younger members.
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Fri 21st Oct 2011, 21:42
Local Group: Marches
Eileen congratulations - how lucky you are - can you give me some hints as to how to persuade my sons to emulate your son or daughter. I have been considering the possibilities for transport of grandchildren to wild places - and the first thing to be noted is that buggies these days are a lot more robust than the one I broke in half on Twmbarlum 30 years ago - there seem to be some very smart off road models. Then when they outgrow the buggy stage can I recommend a trip to Tynycornel youth hostel. Its about 7 miles up the Doethie valley - we used to spend all day over it with plenty of paddling and picnic time and the hostel is very small and simple with gas lights - small people love it. One son now remains a bit of a walker - the other declared that he would never go up a mountain again having been dragged up too many when young - however I have noticed that he does sneak out for a walk when he thinks I am not aware. Catch them young!
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Thu 20th Oct 2011, 20:13
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Yes I am one! And yippee! I think. I am too far away for baby siting duties sadly!

I am already looking to see where near Ashbourne I can carry baby Cyrus in baby sling plus family dog around the area. The website will help of course and my map when I buy it.

The difficult part is when he gets to be too big for the sling (and I can't carry him 'cos he's too heavy!)

So a little at a time. The local Field Naturalist groups are great for that age- they walk very slowly because they identify and examine everything they see- beetles, grasses, flowers,frogs and insects- perfect for an inquisitive toddler/youngster! I shall join them in the area for that.

Then... well Dad would have it football! And see every Man. United game home and away. Mum would have it horses! And muck out and ride.

I would have it go walking/running! But prefer it to see what he enjoys most! I just hope it isn't computer games!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law