Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Fellsman 2012

Author: Paul Miller
Posted: Wed 26th Oct 2011, 23:56
The Fellsman has traditionally always been the 2nd full weekend in May. Sometimes that maybe 2 weeks before the 100, but sometimes 3 weeks. The reason that the Fellsman has been brought forward to April next year (the 50th anniversary of the event) is due to the refusal of several landowners to allow the event to take place on the traditional weekend. Apparently the issue is to do with ground nesting birds. But why it's been OK in the previous 49 years is anyone's guess. The other alternative was that it was proposed to move it to September/October. I'm sure the Fellsman will be oversubscribed due both to it's increasing popularity with fellrunners and also due to the major anniversary of the event. I for one hope that I am lucky to get in it again.
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Tue 25th Oct 2011, 19:42
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
John is in South Pennine group- my apologies. Not a Yorkshire group!
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Tue 25th Oct 2011, 19:28
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
To John P from the South Yorks group- you will just have to be very careful you don't injure yourself then!

Actually a 50 miler can be done unsupported easily. But how do you verify it? I would have thought in this technological age it should be simple? Other than a camcorder/video recording the whole walk?
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Fri 21st Oct 2011, 10:04
Local Group: East Yorkshire
4-38am John! Was you just about to go to bed or had you just got up.

Re Fellsman, when I use to do it, it was always in May one week before the 100 then they moved it to 2 weeks before the 100 to give you more time to recover when doing the double.

ian.
Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Fri 21st Oct 2011, 4:38
Paul - yet another post from someone questioning the "appropriateness" of a topic, or where it should be. The initial comment raised the problem of 3 x 50's on the same day, so naturally one comments on one of those walks under that thread. If one were to cross-reference every item in a chuffin' thread it would take an eternity. If we complain whenever folks put a post where we think it shouldn't go we would lose 90% of our posters, ie 3 people!
Author: W. Paul Tremere
Posted: Thu 20th Oct 2011, 15:45
It seems daft discussing the Woldsman on a Fellsman 2012 thread, especially as there is a Woldsman 2012 thread elsewhere on this forum.
If you look at it, you will see that the date for Woldsman 2012 was published on 21st April 2011, over a year before the Event is scheduled to take place.
Posted: Thu 20th Oct 2011, 12:57
Chris - I heard from Dave Street of B&W that this year they accepted postal entries one month before internet entries because in 2009 an entrant was refused with a paper entry and he complained of favouring internet and runners entrants . Dave has now been deluged this year with entrants who previously entered through SPORTident and who said "we wanted to make sure we got in".

The Event is only on the B&W website through Si until mid November when it goes live to the public on Si's main site. Of course most of us don't have to worry about being over-subscribed but I do think it daft when a walk is advertised in Strider with a big "Event Full" stuck over it. I don't know anything about Si but presumably they take entries from non-LDWA members? And also deduct money on application? - so non-members have to be allowed in?
Posted: Thu 20th Oct 2011, 11:38
Ian, which two events are you down for? TW plus PW? Because the Peatlands Way has been cancelled, for ever, I believe, according to John Davis who had a meeting with the organisers recently. The website needs taking down or editing at least.

But that still leaves a problem with Fellsman clashing with Woldsman since some of EY's marshals do the Fellsman. Paul Tremere is still confident that the wolds will draw a lot of punters.
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Tue 18th Oct 2011, 21:47
Well that could be interesting, I'm down to help out on both walks.
Author: Chris Boden
Posted: Tue 18th Oct 2011, 19:49
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Sorry - that Peatlands Way Challenge link should have been

The Peatlands Way - Challenge Walks
Author: Chris Boden
Posted: Tue 18th Oct 2011, 15:41
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Hmmm. At the moment the Peatlands Way website is listing April 28th as their provisional date for 2012 too ...

Given that the Fellsman has filled up (or very nearly so) for the last three years and that the last running of the Wye Forest 50 filled up before Christmas (and the 2012 one is over half-full already just from online entries), my guess is that it will be the East Yorks events that suffer shorfalls if there are any.
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Mon 17th Oct 2011, 18:51
This years event will fall on the same weekend as the Woldsman and the Wye Forest 50. Bearing in mind these are the only 3 50 mile events advertised in March, April & May next year, I find it extremely frustrating they have all picked the same weekend.I would have walked at least 2, possibly all 3 if evenly spaced. There is a limited audience for the longer walk and the result of the clashes will presumably mean all will possibly be undersubscribed, some unviable and possibly lead to them disappearing from the calendar. I hope not. I know organisers have a lot to consider but a little liaison with other long event organisers wouldn't go amiss. Hope I am not injured on the weekend in question or I may struggle for a qualifier for 2013 100.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law