Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Games Hundred Marshals' walk

Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Fri 2nd Sep 2011, 22:02
Local Group: Surrey
Thanks, Al, that’s reassuring.

Provided someone can take a bag containing sleeping bag and sleeping mat from the start to the finish, and provided there is somewhere to doss down for a few hours after I finish (Windsor Castle Great Hall would be acceptable), I’m more than happy to use public transport both ways
Author: Al Rodger
Posted: Thu 1st Sep 2011, 11:51
Local Group: Dorset
I've seen a fair few e-mails flying round on this subject of entry limits to the 2011 Marshal's Walk demonstrating a high level of concern. I've not seen a definitive message of the way it will be but the paragraph below from Dave Yorston e-mail dated 3/8/11 put an end to most worries. It's a transport/parking problem not a problem with numbers of walkers.

"The limit of 50 places came about as most marshals 100 events only on average have about 50 people taking part, but our main problem is parking at Windsor so we are asking people to car share, also the transport to the start in London, but putting that all aside i do not think anyone will have a problem in getting in. 50 places is not set in stone."
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011, 20:25
Local Group: Surrey
I would like to marshal on the Games Hundred, as it is local and I feel one should help on local events. However, the website states
The Marshals’ walk will take place on the 5th to 7th May, 2012. Entry will be limited to 50 places and is only for entrants who have completed a qualifying event and who are helping on the event in a key role, as decided by the organisers.
All this sounds a bit off-putting.
If (a) only 50 are allowed to do the Marshals’ walk and (b) they have to be helping in a (currently undefined) key role, it seems to me that I have a better chance of being accepted for the Hundred if I put my altruism to one side and enter for the main event, which offers 550 entries. The Housman had 68 marshal entries: presumably the Games Hundred will have at least that.
Can we get an authoritative statement expanding and/or clarifying this, please?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law