Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Wainwrights

Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Sun 25th Sep 2011, 21:31
Local Group: Surrey
Kendal Fell Walkers? Kendal Fell Walkers?

Cement overcoat for you at the next AGM, Tony.
Posted: Sun 25th Sep 2011, 19:56
Thank you for your comments and advice, I am really looking forward to the challenge!
Andrea
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Thu 22nd Sep 2011, 9:33
Local Group: Lakeland
Andrea,
At the risk of being accused of disloyalty to the LDWA, can I recommend Kendal Fellwalkers, who organise a programme of three (occasionally four) walks each Sunday. The walks are mainly in the Lake District fells and over time cover most of the 214 Wainwrights. The winter programme has just been published. Take a look at http://kendalfellwalkers.co.uk
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Thu 22nd Sep 2011, 9:17
Local Group: Lakeland
Stuart Marshall is a good friend of mine in Kendal. I showed him this thread in the pub last night and he is grateful for your kind comments on his book. A revised edition of the book is in preparation for publication next year. Stuart is now in his late 70s and can no longer find the horsepower to walk the tougher routes himself, so he would be grateful for any comments on inaccuracies and updates which need to be corrected in the new edition.
Please post any comments on this thread and they will be passed on and acknowledged.
Author: Bryan Thorpe
Posted: Tue 20th Sep 2011, 19:14
Local Group: North Yorkshire
Andrea , Stuart Marshalls excellent book was one of my main sources of inspiration in selecting routes to complete the Wainwrights on a limited number of visits to the lakes.However a word of caution , by necessity Mr. Marshalls route descriptions are non-detailed in nature.Phrases like "drop down the east ridge" "slant up the far side" sometimes turn out on the ground to be more difficuilt than the read on the page.
The book was a great eye opener in terms of linking fells into good circuits , but i would suggest mixing it with some of the excellent web sites.
Sean McMahons "Striding Edge" site is an example , OS maps of the routes and timings of all the walks along with photos.
The photos in particular give a good indication of terrain , and once you find a walk you have already completed by comparing times you can then easily work out how long it takes for you to complete other walks on the site.
If your still unsure of a route , this forum is (and was for me) an excellent way to contact other walkers who can advise you on a specific route.
Good walking wishes.
Posted: Fri 26th Aug 2011, 15:24
Thanks for the book info - it was reading it that inspired me to have a go! :-)
Author: Alan Jolly
Posted: Wed 10th Aug 2011, 21:37
http://www.wainwright.org.uk/214_completers.html

I can recommend Stuart Marshall's 36 walks to complete all the wainwrights
Posted: Wed 10th Aug 2011, 12:45
I am really keen to complete the Wainwright round, is there someone or group already doing or about to start this who I could join on the walks?. I am looking at doing a decent walk per month but fairly flexible to suit other arrangements.
Thanks

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law