Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Kindness of people

Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Mon 1st Aug 2011, 20:12
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
I recently completed a LDP walk on my own. St. Cuthbert's way. It was a challenge for me to walk unlead and unlost and find my way just by map (with compass handy if needed). I also had a basic GPS just for ensuring where I was if I was not sure. No fancy software mapping though. Now I know lots of you ladies have done it and with much longer distances and that is what made me go for it!

Anyway, on the first section I did 30 miles and none of the villages had tea shops/pubs/cafes! Luckily I had emergency rations-chocs,sweets and nuts/raisins to last 30 miles. But the lady at Mount Hooley Bunk house that I stayed at before starting the walk gave me 2 muffins for the first day- they filled me up fine!

I reached Lindisfarne on the last day very late at 1800 hours because I had to look in a walking/running/climbing shop in Wooler that had a sale on,and it didn't open until 1000. Needless to say only extra large and extra small items were left! Anway, all the shops/cafes and hotels on Lindisfarne had stopped serving tea and were shut by the time arrived. I found what I thought was cafe open and asked for tea please only to find it was a retreat! Called Opengate, a St.Aidan and St.Hilda retreat. Anyway, a lovely lady said " a weary traveller needing tea" and brought me a whole pot of tea plus homemade shortbread . No money wanted, suggested me putting my offered money in the collection box. How kind- thta revived me.

A little anyway, I then had a 6 mile hike back to the car in a village on the A1 and a drive back to Scarborough (3.5 hours) and work the next day!

I was shattered so I stuck my thumb out (thank goodness it isn't a rude sign!) and within 2 seconds a white van appeared (what else?) and a lady with her newly Uni graduated -on holiday and bored-son picked me up and transported me to the A1. They saved me 2 hours!

As I say- the kindness of people is great!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law