Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Lincoln to London Sponsored Walk

Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Fri 15th Jul 2011, 14:57
Local Group: Surrey
I can't join you, but best of luck with the walk.
Posted: Tue 12th Jul 2011, 18:45
NB If this post is deemed inappropriate, in the wrong place, slightly off topic etc then I apologise in advance. I'm just one guy trying to make a difference through walking.

Hi Everyone

I posted here quite a long time ago about this walk, but unfortunately circumstances changed and I had to postpone my trek.

To cut a long story short, I am 26 years old and the son of an alcoholic. My dad died last October and after living with alcoholism for over 20 years, I know only too well the huge problems and upset it can cause for a family, especially the children. There is still a stigma/taboo attached to alcoholism, even for the families, but although my dad was an alcoholic, it wasn't my fault and I've got nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm doing a 180 mile sponsored walk from Lincoln Cathedral to Trafalgar Square, to raise money for COAP (Children of Addicted Parents and People) and NACOA (National Association for Children of Alcoholics) and to raise awareness of the daily struggle the children of alcoholics face.

I understand there are worse problems out there. People may say, 'Your mum/dad may be an alcoholic but at least you're not dying from cancer at 6 years old'. The thing is, for these children, it IS the biggest problem in the world. You're 11 years old, living with an abusive alcoholic parent. Where do you go? Do you move out? Find a place of your own? No. You live with it and put up with it hour after hour, day after day, week after week.

I'm one of the lucky ones and I've come out the other side as a functioning member of society, but many turn to the bottle to deal with their problems and so the cycle begins again.
I appealing for anyone with a keen interest in walking to come with me for an hour, a day or even for the whole walk and to help me deal with a problem that's so often brushed under the carpet by society and to give these young people a voice and a chance in life.

If you would like to be involved and come along with me, all info can be found on the websites below. Feel free to spread the word on any social networking sites.

Thank you for your time

James Broderick
www.lincolntolondon.weebly.com
http://www.justgiving.com/lincolntolondonwalk
www.twitter.com/lincolntolondon
Facebook: Lincoln to London Sponsored Walk
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/Fundraiser-tells-tough-childhood-alcoholic-father/story-12905003-detail/story.html

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law