Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - THREE RING OF SHAP

Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Tue 21st Jun 2011, 22:39
Local Group: Staffordshire
The joyful birdsong was something I noticed particularly on Ring 2 [but there again I didn't do Ring 3!]. And the circling curlews with their wonderfully haunting cry of the curlews on the fells (Ring 1), the happy skylarks and peewits. Then a couple of noisy owls during the night in a 'call and response'. Walking near water was also a theme - coming off the fells (Ring 1) alongside the waterfalls was super, and the stretches along river banks on Ring 2. Lovely event and yummy food. Thank you to all who supported us.
Louise
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Tue 21st Jun 2011, 14:40
Local Group: Cumbria
Heavens John - you'll put everyone off coming next year! I know it's a long and challenging Event... but Dunkirk!!!
The little furry things were our outdoor roving Marshall's making sure everyone was safe and on track.

Seriously though I'm pleased you enjoyed it despite the less than perfect weather and underfoot conditions.
Author: John King
Posted: Tue 21st Jun 2011, 8:26
I have to say the diversity of wildlife sightings was great particularly on the 2nd ring, where I spotted a Red Squirrel as I passed through Dunkirk, a Weasel or Stoat as I turned down to Lowfield and Barnskew, a Hedgehog after the White Stuff checkpoint on the the path past the Garden center, then of course loads of ravens at raven crag, 3 herons at various points along the Lyvennet in fact an abundance of our feathered friends getting on with there life for pretty much of the day, then of course a large Herd of Deer in Lowther Park.

I also spotted a few unidentified little furry things scuttling around in the light from my head torch on the third ring, all these sightings just added another dimension to a brilliant event
Posted: Mon 20th Jun 2011, 9:14
I would also like to say thank you to the unknown to me person that found and handed in my blue Deuter waterproof sac cover.
Just another indication of what a fantastic group of people the members of the LDWA are, THANK YOU whoever you are
Posted: Mon 20th Jun 2011, 8:49
Thank you CUMBRIA LDWA for an excellent event a real credit to a small LDWA group.

From my point of view as an entrant I figure I have the easy part, compared to all the happy and cheerful Marshall's at the checkpoints and Kitchen crew back at Shap what a group of stars they all are, working so hard, looking out for our needs and spurring us on THANK YOU ALL.

Another thing that comes to mind is just how accurate and easy to understand the route description is, aided I feel by the use of Metric rather than imperial distances

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law