Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Three Rings of Shap

Author: Duncan Baber
Posted: Mon 20th Jun 2011, 8:56
Local Group: Wiltshire
As a Three Rings novice I would like to say how much I enjoyed the event. Well done and thanks for all involved in organising and staging it. Everyone I met was so cheerful and helpful - excellent food too - you surely must have lots left over, but I'm sure it won't go to waste. I was very grateful for the tea at Great Asby - provided on special request it seemed - or maybe those manning the checkpoint thought I needed a bit of a lift!

The three rings have such a different character, from the spectacular views across the Eastern Fells and to Haweswater on ring 1, to the tranquil countryside of ring 2 with its lovely riverside walks and the large herd of deer in Lowther Park to the, well, darkness of ring 3. I'm sure ring 3 was very nice, but I didn't see much of it. Thanks to whoever placed the "glow lights" on the third ring - they provided welcome reassurance on the few sections where the track was not obvious - although I did make the mistake once of heading for what I thought was a glow light only to find it was the reflection of my headtorch from the eyes of a sheep (it was late!).

It has to be said that it was a little "damp" underfoot at times - I used all of the many sets of socks I brought with me - and the liquid mud made some of the paths an "interesting" experience - although it rained much less than I had been expecting, and with very little wind it was warm, even overnight.

Other than on the first ring I can't say I met many other walkers - I walked the whole of rings 2 and 3 without seeing any other walkers apart from the occasional one or two at the checkpoints, and a small number of "head torches" returning from Oddendale as I was still heading out.

Thoroughly recommended for anyone contemplating walking this in the future.
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Sat 11th Jun 2011, 21:22
Local Group: Cumbria
Now that everyone has recovered from the Housman why not come and enjoy some Cumbrian hospitality next weekend!
There is still plenty of room and a course to suit everybody.
More details at http://www.ldwa.org.uk/Cumbria/W/485/2011-entry-form-and-event-details.html

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law