Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - It's a First

Author: Alan Greenwood
Posted: Tue 31st May 2011, 22:38
Local Group: Calderdale
A rating system for events similar to the one used by Runners World would help entrants avoid rip off events and might encourage organisers to make improvements. The feed back on the review of online entries promised action on this but it does appear to have been forgotten.
There are also a few issues surrounding the publication of events in Strider and just what review and control is exercised by the LDWA before publication is permitted. An example which appears to be overlooked is the Adventure Activities Licensing Regulations. Our "Guidelines For Events" clearly states that failure to comply with these is a criminal offence and the LDWA will not publicise events not complying with the Regulations. Is there any evidence that a check is made to ensure compliance?
Posted: Mon 30th May 2011, 21:53
trailwalker (16/17th july) are there any teams from the linclnshire area,taking part in this event , our team in boston would like to meet or contact for training and traveling etc
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Mon 30th May 2011, 21:33
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Yes I have indeed noted this...
Author: Nic Arb
Posted: Mon 30th May 2011, 17:32
Local Group: Kent
Trading Standards used to be Fiona. Now we have a new Events sec, I am sure that she keeps informed by lurking around the Events page of the forum.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Mon 30th May 2011, 16:14
Local Group: Mid Wales
Nic - you could inform Trading Standards, that would put the cat amongst the pigeons. Matt.
Author: David Kearns
Posted: Mon 30th May 2011, 12:52
I've often noticed that the higher the entry fee,the more frugal the refreshments. It was pretty short commons at last weeks Hawkdean Hike, but the walk was worth doing if only for the magnificent route description booklet : 160 pages of it !
Posted: Mon 30th May 2011, 11:35
Yes, actually it was tea for me!

The funniest thing is that we can read "Please bring a mug" on our website here

And we can read also that the £15 entry fee includes drinks at start; light refreshments at all Cps; meal at finish; cert to all finishers

Wrong: if you wanted a meal at finish, you had to pay £3.50 extra and there were no certificates.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Mon 30th May 2011, 11:06
Local Group: Mid Wales
Unfortunately, some people have not the remotest idea of how to organise an event (I refer to non-ldwa events), have been on a few that leave much to be desired, but that is a classic for stupidity. Bet the beer went down well at the finish !!!
Posted: Mon 30th May 2011, 10:44
North Essex Circular Walk 26ml Challenge yesterday:

Not a single drop to drink at any of the checkpoints

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law