Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Help with Southern Uplands Way - best way to travell?

Author: Forum Moderator
Posted: Mon 21st Nov 2011, 11:35
Agreed this is getting very close touting for business, however I’ll let it go this time!
Posted: Sun 8th May 2011, 12:17
Sorry to hear that Margaret but my offer remains open. I should be retired by then and even more flexible. Obviously, if you can recruit more participants the cost comes down. Please allow plenty of notice. Happy walking.
Author: Margaret C Swann
Posted: Sat 7th May 2011, 16:46
Local Group: Merseystride
Thanks for feedback - have now postponed until next year but will act on ideas and feedback received - many thanks. Margaret
Posted: Mon 25th Apr 2011, 10:01
Hi Margaret, have you read my post on the Bothy?? When are you thinking of starting and finishing? I could arrange to pick you up from home on Saturday 28/05, take you to Stranraer and then collect you from the end and return you home on Thursday 02/06. There is a degree of flexibility with this. Does this help? Would £150 each be too expensive for this service? Let me know as my days fill very fast.
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Thu 7th Apr 2011, 8:49
Local Group: East Yorkshire
May be worth asking a few more questions on the rail journey. See what they can offer with journeys between destinations en route. To give an example, last year I wanted to recce the 100 in Scotland. Manchester - Pitlochry was £73, but if I broke journey in Edinburgh (but stayed on same train) the cost reduced to £63. Further enquiry revealed that if I broke the journey in Preston (again without leaving the train) I could do trip for £53. I could save £20 by buying 3 tickets rather than 1.
Feel it worth asking again with changes at say Liverpool?, Preston & Carlisle and see what they can offer. Try the Trainline.
With the rail services you have to think 'outside the box'. Unbelieveably, it is cheaper to get a return ticket from my local station into Manchester in the evening than to buy a single!
Posted: Thu 7th Apr 2011, 7:17
Still having trouble with this. The cheapest rail fair is £160 - one way to stranraer. Rail trip via Glasgow no cheaper The only bus is overnight.
Exploring options if anyone has any more thoughts. Many thanks .......
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Fri 1st Apr 2011, 14:12
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Hi Margaret,
Suggest you leave car at home. Getting to Portpatrick is the tricky bit. Around 3 trains a day to Stranraer from Carlisle and there is a bus service to Portpatrick which sort of coincides with trains. If nothing else you will be helping keep the rail line open but it takes a while as you almost go to Glasgow en route. No route through Galloway Hills. If you arrive early in Carlisle the castle is worth a visit. Allow a full day to get to Portpatrick.
Getting back is easy, provided you arrive in Cockburnspath before around 3pm. Buses to Dunbar or Berwick both of which are on the main rail line. A change at York will put you on Trans Pennine line back to North West. If you arrive in Cockburnspath after 3pm you may have to consider an overnight stay at the end.
Great route. Hope you enjoy.
Posted: Fri 1st Apr 2011, 8:51
I am planning to do the SUW end of May into June with a friend. We plan to camp and stay at hostels/ BB. Any information and suggestions would be very welcome but the main issue at the moment is the best way to travel there. I live on the Wirral and I am thinking to drive to Dunbar, leave the car, train to Stranraer and walk back. Would this work and does anyone have information about leaving the car etc.
All ideas, information, advice gratefully received. Many thanks in anticipation.
Margie Swann

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law