Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Advice please - Meindl Boots - Good investment or otherwise ?

Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Mon 21st Mar 2011, 21:18
Local Group: Staffordshire
Hi, I've got Meindl's fabric boots - and at the moment am breaking in a new pair along with still using my old very tatty looking pair. I walk 25s and 50s in boots, and shall attempt my first 100 in boots. I never get blisters on 25s, and get the occaisional blister on a 50, which is fine patched up. Shoes/trainers etc give me blisters everywhere and much soreness & discomfort beneath the feet. Maybe I haven't found the right ones yet. Thinking I should try and walk the 100 in something less cumbersome than a boot - I tried again recently walking in some trainer cum shoe things - and got blisters on top of my toes on a 17 mile walk - very painful that was. The footwear choice really is personal preference and knowing your own feet, and as others have said - experimenting. I have a friend who 'can't' wear fabric boots as - and always wears leather. The debate goes on and on, and only you know the answer for your feet!
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Sat 12th Mar 2011, 21:22
Local Group: Surrey
I have owned Meindl boots and while they are top quality, they are more suitable for say 15 to 20 miles per day in rough mountain country than our sort of long distance trail walking. I find them too stiff and heavy for LDWA challenge events. Like many others I have experimented with all sorts of footwear and find trail shoes, ie half way between mountain boots and trainers, the best for me. Currently I’m wearing New Balance 955GT 2E (for wide feet) and find them excellent.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sat 12th Mar 2011, 16:54
Local Group: Mid Wales
Whatever you try on in the shop, and however much you paddle about in the boots and go round and round the shop floor, you never truly know whether or not they suit you until there's some serious miles under your feet. But you can't take them back then!

I doubt there is a walker or runner that hasn't had some very expensive disasters with boots or trainers, frequently it takes a few walks to "bed them in" to your feet, so don't give up on the first blister. Sometimes (rarely, but it happens) a make turns out perfect - purchase 5 more pairs before they are discontinued. And sometimes a total disaster, may even cause injury as some of my trainers have.

Cost price, doesn't gaurantee success either, so good luck, just do your best. Sorry, never had Meindl so can't help there. Matt.
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Fri 11th Mar 2011, 20:26
Local Group: East Lancashire
This could well go on to be the longest thread on the Forum. I imagine most walkers on here have a cupboard full of boots and shoes. All people are different and all feet are different. After almost 20 years of membership I think I have finally found a pair of shoes that suit me. Inov8s. I have worn them for the last 18 months and I think it is the only time in almost 20 years I have been blister free. You may be lucky and find a pair straight away or it could be the first steps (no pun intended) on a long and expensive journey.

Good luck and enjoy the walk
Author: Graham Perry
Posted: Fri 11th Mar 2011, 19:22
Local Group: Kent
Hi all,

I'm new to long distance walking and have just started training for my first long walk in July (about 60 miles) on the South Downs.

I've decided to invest in some quality footwear, just tried on some Meindl boots at a shop, seemed really comfortable and appeared a quality product. Quite expensive though, any advice as to whether they would be a good investment would be appreciated ?

Thank you

Graham

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law