Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Local Groups - Welcoming New Members!

Author: John Knight
Posted: Mon 14th Feb 2011, 19:10
Local Group: Anytime Anywhere
Hi Louise

Glad you've given social walking another go, after your daunting experience all those years ago! As I assured you when we walked together on the 2009 Cloud Challenge, South Manchester group does look after its walkers these days, both old hands and newcomers; anytime you'd like to come out with us again you would be made very welcome.

John
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Sun 30th Jan 2011, 10:32
Local Group: Staffordshire
I've been an LDWA member for many years but have a preference for Challenge walks over Group Walks - why? Because back in the 1990s as a 'new person' I went on a 'Group Walk' where folks went like express trains. It was a huge struggle to keep up, and I vowed never to repeat such an experience. Yesterday - almost 17 years on I ventured out on a group walk with the Staffordshire Group - how welcoming, and what considerate leadership towards the pace of all the participants. We enjoyed a measured pace, regrouped regularly and covered 20 miles. I know to cover that distance we cannot have folks crawling along - but a Group walk maybe someones first step into the world of the LDWA. First imperssions count, and Group Walks 'showcase' the culture of what we are about - not just the walk, but the kidn of folks we are. This is one important way in which we support 'new members' - and help to get them started.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law