Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Recommendation for a coastal walk

Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sat 22nd Jan 2011, 14:38
Local Group: Mid Wales
I would have a good look at the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path in S.West Wales, you won't go wrong for scenery. Possibly won't manage it all in 10 days (don't know how strong you are) at 186 miles, and there's a lot of 'up & down'. You pass through or near to plenty of small villages for accomodation and supplies.
We intend having a try at it in 10 days at end of April, I would say any time from then to July before the main school holidays start. Hope the link below works. Matt.

http://www.visitpembrokeshire.com/content.asp?nav=9%2C26&parent_directory_id=1&gclid=CJTgiMSDzqYCFcoifAod2FLpMw
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Thu 20th Jan 2011, 21:56
Local Group: East Lancashire
Hi

I see the password worked, for something different how about the Cleveland Way? Open moorland with lots of history and a fine coastal path taking in Whitby, more history than you can shake a stick at (old British saying)

We used the bus from York to the start then the train home. Lots of B&Bs along the way.

Good luck
Posted: Wed 19th Jan 2011, 23:13
This is a modification of my message from last week, as we (my wife and I) are now strongly leaning towards a coastal walk.

We are from United States and completed WHW a couple of years ago and really liked it, particularly the more remote sections and the moors and we liked the varied terrain. The nicest day was from Bridge of Orchy to King's Hotel. We are looking for a walk of similar challenge with B & B s / inns a reasonable distance apart. We are looking for a 6-9 day hike.

We can go anytime of year, would like to avoid crowds, what is the best time to go?

If suggesting a trail that takes more than 9 days, which section is best? If no luggage transport is available, we will carry our own gear.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law