Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Lodging versus camping in Wales in Sept/Oct

Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Thu 20th Jan 2011, 18:11
Local Group: Mid Wales
We are right in the middle of Wales (Glyndwrs Way all about our home). You should have little problem finding accomodation then as the school holidays are finished. Regards camping, I would feel fairly confident of finding somewhere on the Glyndwr Way without much problem (as mentioned before "early and late") and probably Offas. Weather can be excellent at that time, frequently the best of the summer, or it could be wet, wet, wet!!
Let us know when you are coming and dates nearer the time, we could probably find you a bed for the night (and nice hot bath) when on the Glyndwrs Way if dates are ok. Matt & Jane.
Author: Jennifer Shockley
Posted: Thu 20th Jan 2011, 17:06
Thank you both for the input - I'm relieved to hear that finding a place to stay, whether in a tent or in a guesthouse, shouldn't be much of an issue! Knowing that we can likely set our own pace on a day-to-day basis makes for a much more enjoyable walk. We get a great deal of rain and wind here and so have good equipment for damp walking conditions. The weight limit listed is very close to what we are striving for - somewhere in the 10-11kg range if we bring camping equipment and of course less is we don't!
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Thu 20th Jan 2011, 16:44
Local Group: Surrey
The Aleutians! You’ll be a long way from home. But welcome to the LDWA and the UK.

I’ve wild camped along the West Highland Way, the Cotswold Way, the South Downs Way and the Pennine Way and always been able to find a spot within half an hour of deciding to camp. On the Cotswold Way I had to make do with some non-ideal spots, but it is far more densely populated that the lands around the trails in Wales. You really won’t have a problem. Use the wild campers’ maxim: camp late, leave early. You’ll almost certainly have rain. Buying a good quality lightweight 2 person tent will probably be your best investment. Emphasis on lightweight: Even if you don’t cover great distances each day, you still have to carry it, and shoulder aches detract from enjoyment. You’ll get them anyway, but lighter packs mean less aches: Try to limit your pack weight to 12kg (M), 9kg (F).
Author: Ian Walker
Posted: Thu 20th Jan 2011, 7:27
Local Group: South Wales
I would have thought that at that time of year you should have little trouble finding accommodation on the night, and shouldn't need to book ahead. Obviously, of course, this will only work in towns and villages that actually have accommodation! And it might be worth just very quickly checking before you set off that there are no festivals or events planned that might make certain weekends difficult - just so you know.

With wild camping, I can only comment on the more northern section, as I more-or-less followed the top section of the Cambrian Way from Machynlleth through Snowdonia to Conwy a couple of years ago. I wild camped on the hills every night and had no trouble at all. Good luck!
Author: Jennifer Shockley
Posted: Wed 19th Jan 2011, 17:07
Hello! My partner and I will be in Wales from mid-Sept to mid-Oct. We plan to walk Offa's Dyke from Monmouth to Knighton, then Glyndwr's Way to Machynlleth and from there hopefully walk the Snowdonia to the Gower trail to Llanfairfechen. We hike regularly and do some limited three-season backpacking here in the Aleutians, but have never undertaken a true "long distance walk." We would prefer not to commit ourselves to lodging reservations for every night, so that we have more flexibility in our schedule in case we find that we need to take a rest or just don't walk as far each day as planned. Is mid-Sept to mid-Oct a time of year when reservations along these trails will be necessary? Is it likely that we can simply get lodging each night when we arrive in a town/village? And what are the opportunities for wild camping along this route - we have been thinking of taking minimalist camping gear in the event we are unable to find lodging.

Thanks in advance for any advice - we are greatly looking forward to our UK walk!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law