Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Newbie Quetions :)

Author: John Phillips
Posted: Fri 7th Jan 2011, 12:52
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Hi Steve,
Welcome to LDWA.
Virtually all events will provide you with a written route description, some of which are foolproof (almost) and some that leave a little to the imagination. Mostly you will not need your map BUT I always take it as a back up. Better safe than sorry. Rarely find routes marked throughout entire length but sometimes some tape as a guide at awkward bits.
If an event is described as a Kanter you will just get grid references and you are expected to find your own way between them.
You will be fine in running gear - many runners enter LDWA events. Just make sure you have some spare clothing in the event of poor weather or an accident. Events normally specify some basic kit to be carried.
Posted: Fri 7th Jan 2011, 11:12
Hi there, I am new to LDWA and have joind as I am training for the 2011 Marathon Des Sables. I have been recommnded to this site by several folks and it is a wide ranging help!

I am doing the MdS in April and keen to complete several events with the LDWA before this date but have a couple of initial qustions if I may (and please bear with me if some seem obvious, I will try not to sound too thick!).

1) As the events I am looking to do will be quite long, what do I do re navigation? Do I need to turn up with my OS map (or GPS device), compass etc or, as I hope to run or run/walk the courses, are they cleatly marked as I trot along?

2) Is it appropriate to wear my running kit for the events (ie shorts/technical t-shirt etc if not too cold!) or should I be more sedate in my attire!?

I am sure I will have many more questions as I go forward but any help with the above would be great thanks:)

Regards

Steve

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law