Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - My Favourite Event

Author: Anthony R Wintle
Posted: Sat 4th Feb 2006, 21:18
Local Group: West Yorkshire
The Calderdale Hike, 36 or 27 miles. It is always a tough event. You find your own way between checkpoints, navigational skills essential. I have seen competitors scattered over the moors in all directions as far as the eye can see. This is not a follow my leader avent. The routes change at least every three years. There is always a great welcome back at the licenced Cricket Club, however late, where a great meal is served.
A must for all you map readers out there.
Author: Michael Skuse
Posted: Thu 2nd Feb 2006, 21:06
Local Group: Merseystride
That's Lyth has everything you could possibly want in a walk. Definitely my favourite.
Author: Steve Clark
Posted: Sat 21st Jan 2006, 6:30
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
I enjoy the Oxon walks, I always do the 20mls so i can take my time and enjoy the countryside. GARFIELD, please update the local groups page and change the BBN's web link to bedsbucksnorthantsldwa.co.uk Steve Clark
Author: Julie Welch
Posted: Mon 16th Jan 2006, 20:12
Local Group: London
Being a soft Southerner, I'd vote for the Sevenoaks Circular and the Oxon Walks: very runner-friendly, Grade A checkpoints and nice people.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Mon 16th Jan 2006, 20:08
Local Group: Mid Wales
Unfortunately now gone - Nev Tandy's: Mid Wales Mountain Marathon. Great time of year for a high level route - you just never knew quite what you would be facing till the day. As for the jaunt all the way down to Ratgoed, then all the way back up again "He marched us down to the bottom of the hill, then he marched us up again ...." Classic walk with a bit of 'edge' to it if the weather was bad. Matt.
Author: Forum Moderator
Posted: Sat 14th Jan 2006, 15:45
Ok, a bit of a twee title, but we all have one event which we hold close to our heart. For me it is probably the Fellsman Hike - the event I love to hate and really want to do again even though last year I swore it would be my last. If "A Foot in Two Dales" does it for me a second time this year, then that will be a contender. Hmmm, then there's the Wye Valley 50...... Garfield

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law