Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Ideas Forum - Website Version 2

Posted: Sun 26th Nov 2006, 20:41
Oops! You can do paragraphs. Never used to be able to.
Posted: Sun 26th Nov 2006, 20:39
First post for a long time as after 20 years membership I forgot to re-join in 2006. Anyway, I'm back in the fold now.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with everything Matt says in this and other threads about the website/forum. I said it myself in 2005 on this very forum.

I'm a frequent lurker and occasional poster on the 'FRA' & 'Singletrack World' forums, and those sites are so far advanced by comparison. Even the website of my local running club (which has only 80 members) is light-years ahead of this.

The ability to edit/paragraph, upload pictures, insert hyperlinks, and much more is so important. This site is like a gentlemans club where all the old duffers are asleep with a copy of the Times over their faces, gently snoring.

In this day and age, a website is your shop window on the outside world. If the shop window is boarded up, no one can see in. AND THEY WILL GO ELSEWHERE !

Paul

Arrgghh !! I can't even pre-view my post before I submit it
Author: John King
Posted: Fri 1st Sep 2006, 14:01
As has already been said follow the lead set by the FRA website.

Why? simple really, its bright freeflowing, simple to use, niceley moderated,up to date, clearly defined sub menu`s for various topics, and even ventures into the void of road running (therefore openminded) and a marvellous source of information.

Who Knows LDWA website could even have a sub section discussing fellrunning, after all our common link is a love of open spaces, just that some of us like/need to cover ground quicker than others.

But whatever you decide good luck with it and thanks for your efforts.
Author: Antony Blatchford
Posted: Tue 22nd Aug 2006, 13:25
Local Group: Lakeland
Hi all. In response to the queries raised as to why so few LDWA participate in postings ideas and comments to the website, from my personal experience there are two reasons.

1) There is a general apathy towards getting too involved in LDWA affairs. How many members (myself included) are too happy to turn up on walks, enter challenge events etc but do little else to help the LDWA? I think this is true of most organisations of our nature, who rely on the willing (and oft damned) few to run things for us
2) You might be surprised at how few LDWA members actually use the website, or are even aware of its existence. Most members rely on Strider/local group newsletters for information. This is why most of the postings on the forum are from a hard core of members.

What is particularly revealing is how old some of the threads are, and how little response they generate.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Mon 21st Aug 2006, 22:58
Local Group: Mid Wales
I have not looked in here for several weeks, but now see that others are at least adding comments to the discussion of change to the website and if it is needed.
There is little point in the same old names, saying the same old things (I include myself). Other opinions and views are needed from a broader base of the membership, so why not come online and add your views ? Matt.
Author: Norman Corrin
Posted: Mon 21st Aug 2006, 14:12
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Julie it's probably because they've got round the course so quickly they have more time to post replies. Whereas people like me who pay for 10 hours on a walk (or 24/48 whatever) and take 10 hours...............
Seriously though the number of runners who've never heard of the association does surprise me. Sounds like a job for the Publicity Officer!
Author: Julie Welch
Posted: Mon 21st Aug 2006, 13:07
Local Group: London
Hi Simon. Not about to shoot you down in flames, but the Internet Sub-committee - Garfield, Tony, John, Paul and me - are meeting tomorrow and I expect issues such as this will be discussed.
I've noticed that some of the people who post most often on here are runners. Why would that be?
Posted: Mon 21st Aug 2006, 12:14
My thoughts on the facilities and access rights on the website are offered here...

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/forum/show_topic.php?tpc=74&dir=S

I agree with the points raised by Matthew & Jane Hand (Posted on: Wed 18th Jan 2006, 20:55) The site does still come across as very staid - it's as if the idea of a web based community is being applied by those not used to, understand or not are comfortable with the idea of people interacting and contributing online.

The whole "lock people out" idea seems to be wholly counter productive to the idea of encouraging new members to join in a) the website and b) hopefully getting their feet muddy in the real purpose of the site - to promote long distance walking.

Just look at the dates on the "last posts" - months old in some areas - my own running club only has 150 members and there's new stuff going on all the time - race reports, reviews, new links. All done with FREE software (Joomla), with loads of up to date features that encourage contribution. I'm struggling to understand how this current set up can meet the aims of an organisation wanting to grow - all the "the website is great" comments seem a little complacent to me, "it'll do for us", "we don't need anything fancy" - there's so much more on offer in website design terms and Content Managment Systems, for ZERO or little cost. Why settle for 2nd rate when much better solutions are available?

There, had my 2 bob's worth. If this was an active forum I'd wait about 10 minutes before being shot down in a flame war... but... it's not... let's see if there's any response...

Simon
Posted: Thu 1st Jun 2006, 8:22
Thank you Tony. I had not logged on for quite a few months and I obviously still had the perception that the lack of responses when the forum opened for business had continued. I am happy to be proved wrong, as evidenced on this and other topic responses and I indeed offer an apology if one is required. John
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Wed 31st May 2006, 18:48
Local Group: Lakeland
John, here's a reply from someone in authority to your sensible, pertinent point. If your comment is aimed at the National Committee, I can say that since I became chairman the policy has been for an appropriate member of the committee to answer comments that require answers.
Author: Philip Powell
Posted: Wed 31st May 2006, 15:45
Local Group: Northumbria
Granting permission to quote posts in Strider should be easy enough [happens with the OUTDOORSmagic forum and TGO] - simply put a notice on the forum page that postings may be used in Strider. If you don't want it quoted - don't post it!
Posted: Wed 31st May 2006, 13:42
Thank you for responding Julie, although that in itself somewhat undermines one point I made in the post.

I am not sure that permission would be required to post in Strider as this forum is effectively an extension of the magazine anyway. A term and condition could be introduced on logging in or posting a new reply that would agree to that anyway. Even then the subject could be summarised and a link posted in the magazine to the topic without using any of the actual words. I used 2 paragraphs in this reply, honestly.
Author: Julie Welch
Posted: Wed 31st May 2006, 12:42
Local Group: London
John, your suggestion is an interesting one but a couple of stumbling points - not huge ones - occur to me straight away. The first is that it needs someone to volunteer to gather the stuff for Strider. The second is that if quotes/posts are lifted from the Forum then either each poster would have to be contacted for permission to publish it in Strider (rather time consuming) or the quotes would have to be anonymous. Julie
Posted: Wed 31st May 2006, 10:25
Editing a post is a must as far as I am concerned.

The reference to the FRA forum is a valid point. That is an excellent setup for a group with a smaller membership than the LDWA.
It is active, fun to log onto as well as being informative.
By contrast this forum is a little staid, although I suspect it is the membership that is at fault for not using it rather than the webmasters.

One suggestion, in each edition of Strider have a paragraph of recent threads or comments from this forum with a link. Might get more users that way.

When a sensible, pertient point or question is raised nobody with any authority seems to take responsibility to answer or own the problem. That does tend to give the view that posting a comment on here is a waste of time
Posted: Sat 21st Jan 2006, 13:51
I suggest that the Forums are improved by allowing 'paragraphs'a 'spellchecker' and an 'edit' facility to allow the poster to correct mistakes on their own posts. This is quite common on other forums so should not be too difficult or expensive. Overall, I think that the current website is very good. Ian
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Fri 20th Jan 2006, 22:47
Local Group: Merseystride
See, turn my back for 5 minutes and what do you do - turn this thread into a whinge pot !
Peter, your comments show a certain degree of ingratitude. We do everything in our own time and for no renumeration - because we love this sport. If the website hasn't been updated for a while it's because we've been busy doing something else. Garfield
Posted: Fri 20th Jan 2006, 21:40
I'm trying the tactical approach, pleasant, reasonable and encouraging; I hope it will work to change this into a better site. I just can't understand why there is so little input from the membership, are they all happy with the status quo? If so, fair enough. Matt.
Posted: Fri 20th Jan 2006, 8:19
Blimey Matt, You've changed your tune since you were "yellow-carded" a couple of weeks back !! From all the ideas / comments / citicisms (often the best ideas?) posted on this forum in 2005 the only change I can see is a "Gear!" section. Big Deal! I'm under the impression, please correct me, that the only postings welcomed here are plaudits or those from "Yes" men. For me it was a pity - now ideas are sought - that livelier posters, like SIMON FINCH and GEOFF CROWDER were ignored or "stifled". Anybody know, incidentally, who will be evaluating and selecting (or rejecting) ideas for this development?
Posted: Wed 18th Jan 2006, 20:56
And I want to be able to write with paragraphs. Matt.
Posted: Wed 18th Jan 2006, 20:55
I know some of us have had a whinge on here (that's me) for changes - but now when we are asked for ideas, where are they all?
So here goes. I am in favour of open access to the forum for all to log in (not just ldwa members). I think it may help bring the ldwa to more walkers and publicise our aims. It would also 'de-mistify' distance walkers, to many we are a bit of a humourless closed shop. An open site, discussions, advice readily given to beginers could help our cause. We may even get some "Ramblers" on here, and we must be nice to them ! There are pitfalls, there would need to be moderators to keep an eye on things, eventually you always get a troublemaker who takes things a little too far for a family forum. I can only compare to the fell runners site, this has really taken off since it started (for users) there are usually 20 - 30 browsers on the site at any time and recently over 60. That is a fair bit of interest for a minority sport.

Topics I would like to see: a "general discussion" board, pretty much for anything unspecific walking related. Banter on events, injuries, what to carry on events etc. Also a "Social board" for anything non walking related. In other words for sad persons like me, who've had a few whiskies late at night and want to see if anyone else is awake for a chat. There must be some more of you with ideas - now is the opportunity to put them forward, don't miss the chance. Matt.
Posted: Wed 18th Jan 2006, 8:20
Can you make up your mind under which TOPIC you want suggestions, please ? !!!!
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Tue 17th Jan 2006, 11:32
Local Group: High Peak
ignore that last post "doh!"
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Sat 14th Jan 2006, 15:44
Local Group: High Peak
pay on line for the merchandise
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sat 14th Jan 2006, 15:30
Local Group: Merseystride
Over the next few months I will be collecting ideas for developing the website. On-line entry of events ? Changes to forums etc. Accessibility issues ? Please us this thread for ideas and not as a whinge-pot. Thanks, Garfield

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law