Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - north wales to south wales

Author: Dennis Gilbert
Posted: Fri 5th Nov 2010, 16:24
Local Group: Bristol & West
Hi Perryn, you will know from Tony Drake's book that there are many sections and many miles of undefined route. In fine, clear conditions I don't think you would have much of a problem navigating provided you have a good basic knowledge of using map and compass and you can always use your GPS simply to check your position. From my experience the main problem areas were in the Black Mountain region (western Brecon Beacons) and north of Rhandirmwyn right up to Commins Coch. After that route finding was not too bad. The Rhinogs are difficult because of the walking conditions not necessarily because of navigational problems.
It's six years since I did it but my recollections are still quite clear so if you would like to chat about it please give me a call on 0117 9861302. It's a wonderful walk - my best ever.
Dennis
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Fri 5th Nov 2010, 12:54
Local Group: Mid Wales
I think the North Rhinogs are slightly more tricky than the Amazon jungle!! Matt.
Author: David Kearns
Posted: Fri 5th Nov 2010, 9:24
Perryn

This is Wales you're talking about,not the Amazon jungle, and you're unlikely ever to be more than a mile or two from some kind of civilisation. Part of the enjoyment is going astray and finding your way back on line. Just get on with it and enjoy !

Dave
Posted: Thu 4th Nov 2010, 15:56
Hi Matt,

Thanks for feed back and I know what it is like in the hills of Wales I live in Oswestry and go up the Berwyn's quite often but know little about the Breacon's, Cambrian and Rhinogs .

I did Offa's Dyke in September and had good weather for the Black Mountains but I looking at the Cambrian Way route it looks off the beaten path somewhat so I think some training would be helpful for bad weather and piece of mind. During my Coast to Coast I got lost (20 mins) on Greenup Edge in Lake District one of the scariest 20 mins I have had and do not want to repeat it although I have GPS for emergency (batteries pain to charge on long walks) but prefer map and compass which I always carry but I think I need help with distance calculation this is what generally lets me down thinking I further on or back from where I actually am and on a wild featureless moor that could be bad news.

Thanks
Posted: Wed 3rd Nov 2010, 22:52
Perryn,
I would certainly expect you to have some map and compass skills, I can't imagine undertaking that route without them. Whether you need a "course" or just some friendly lessons and practice from other walkers, I dunno. But yes, you certainly will need to navigate on some of it - and the mid wales weather is notorious for clag and rain!!! Matt.
Posted: Tue 2nd Nov 2010, 13:44
Hi all

I'm new to this site I have completed Hadrians Wall, Coast to Coast (Wainwright's), Offa's Dyke & North Wales Path and hope to do Cambrian Way next June.

I have Drake's book for the Cambrian Way which is very helpful but just seeking advice on navigation as it does say that it can be difficult in places would it be worth me having navigational training for hill walking before I set off?

Any other advice very welcome.

Thanks
Posted: Tue 19th Oct 2010, 19:32
There is also the Sarn Helen, a Roman Road through Wales, from Caerhun near Conwy to Carmarthen. It's 150 miles and would take a lot of planning as it is mainly a series of old tracks and byways where the old Roman Path went, not much of which is waymarked. There is a book by John Cantrell and Arthur Rylance - 'Sarn Helen' Cicerone Press, out of print now. I have a copy if you'd like to borrow it. Jane
PS Not done the walk myself, it remains on the 'One of these fine days I will......' list!
Posted: Tue 19th Oct 2010, 17:23
Hello Robert, if you would care to call me on 01179861302 I will be able to answer all your questions and I will gladly lend you the book.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Posted: Tue 19th Oct 2010, 12:02
thank you so much for the advice and information, this has made my research so much easier.

Dennis
Thank you for your kind offer for the lend of book, i wont accept as im sure the book is ver dear to you but please can you tell me the name and author. I will take you up on your offer of advice after doing a bit more research on the route im going to take.
When you done the walk did you camp?
what time of the year did you do it in?
Have you done the whole route in one?
Regards
Robert Smith
Posted: Mon 18th Oct 2010, 16:03
Hello Robert, Yes, there are two long distance routes across Wales, as already mentioned, The Cambrian Way and the route detailed in John Gillham's book Snowdonia to the Gower, a coast to coast walk across highest Wales.It starts at Llanfairfechain and finishes at Three Cliffs Bay on the Gower coast a total distance of 220m.
I completed the Cambrian Way a few years ago, my best UK ldp ever and I am well into the high route which I call the Roof of Wales. I have the book which is beautifully illustrated and the route well described and I would gladly lend it you and let you know of my experiences on both routes. I intend to continue the R of W next summer and would expect to finish it in 5 days.
Please let me know if you would like more information.
Dennis
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Mon 18th Oct 2010, 15:04
Local Group: East Yorkshire
I recall seeing a book showing a route from Snowdonia to Gower a few years ago - the author was John Gillham and the route was around 200 miles but unfortunately I have no more details.
Posted: Sun 17th Oct 2010, 20:20
Could follow the basic Cambrian Way route and adapt that a little to end up wherever you want. We ran a sort of Dragons Back in 2007 from Snowdon to Penyfan, nearly all off road - could peel off SWest direction from Llandovery.

Or you could simply pick up some of the coastal paths? Matt.
Posted: Sun 17th Oct 2010, 15:51
Im looking at doing a long distance walk next year in aid of menengitis. I like the idea of going from north wales to south wales ending up on the gower coast (just outside swansea). I had menegitis last year and and started walking last year to aid my recovery. Im now addicted. Any advice on routes (off rd) would be most gratefull.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law