Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Looking for a copy of the TV Film - First and Last 1989 - can you help?

Posted: Wed 6th Oct 2010, 20:19
Thanks but I have already tried this avenue (some months ago) but my enquiries were never answered.

Having just read the screenplay I can personally vouch that this was a very well written drama. Most of the stuff that makes the tv or film relating to walking, ergo Julia B's Coast to Coast etc, very rarely lives up to the real spirit of the activity. First and last did. If I ever get hold of a copy I will certainly make it available (copyright issues permitting).
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sun 3rd Oct 2010, 13:20
Local Group: Mid Wales
Hi , if you go to www.imdb.com/title/tt0097363/ - (Internet Movie Database) There is a review of the flim and if you scroll down to the message boards a guy has a copy of it. He has obviously done copies for other fans. Vaguely remember it but wasn't into walking then. Hope this helps. Jane
Posted: Sat 2nd Oct 2010, 9:38
Thanks, I have tried going to the Beeb, no luck there. I also followed up with the link where someone said they had a VHS copy, again no luck/reply from that quarter.

I have just sent off for a copy of the screenplay script. Realize that this sounds a little obsessive but I vaguely remember seeing the film way back when. I was in my twenties at the time and, like most at that age,was in a hurry to get someplace.

However, for some reason this film resonated with me. It stopped me, albeit momentarily, and it is still there today, particularly when I am planning a long walk? I wonder if i manage to track it down and watch it again whether it will take something away..

Still looking
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Fri 1st Oct 2010, 13:17
Local Group: Merseystride
I remember the film. Very good, but had some strangely surreal scenes in it if I recall.
These old programs can be found. I recently chased down the series "Game, Set & Match" based on Len Deighton's books and starring Ian Holm.
I did a quick search for "First and Last" and there is evidence that people have acquired copies ...
http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Media-and-TV/Question642920.html
... (ps. that should be "purenostalgia" in the link)
Keep digging ...

Garfield
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Thu 30th Sep 2010, 22:25
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Not heard of the film, but is it written by the same Michael Frayn who wrote "Spies?" Excellent book that was- would thoroughly recommend it!
Posted: Thu 30th Sep 2010, 21:08
A retired man (played by Joss Ackland) decides to fulfill his life-time ambition and walk the length of Britain from Land's End to John O'Groats. The film centres around the "discovery" of himself, the relationship with his wife (who is unsure of his reasons) and the colourful, and not so colourful, people he meets on his travels. Director: Alan Dosser. Writer: Michael Frayn.

I appreciate that watching a film of the walk might be deemed as 'lightweight', but like Joss A in the film I am building up to it for my own retirement!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law