Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Sprained Ankle.

Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Wed 29th Sep 2010, 20:53
Local Group: Mid Wales
Sorry to welcome you to the world 'broken' walkers & runners, comes as a bit of a blow when you find something serious is amiss and it no longer mends by the weekend. Grim stuff to cope with mentally, give it time and be patient.
Definately use the ibuprofen type gels rather than tablets (anti-inflamatory gels as the others recommend), my physio also recommended them, as they are more specific to the injured area and don't upset the tummy as the tablets can. You can usually find the 5% gel on the shelf and 10% strength comes from behind the counter - then splash it on all over (the injured bit)!!
Good luck, it'll come eventually, I've been 18 months with a number of achilles injuries (both ankles alternatively, bless them) and now returning to normal, but very cautiously - so take it steady. Matt.
Author: Roderick J. Hollands
Posted: Mon 27th Sep 2010, 21:46
Local Group: South Wales
Thank you for your comments everyone. I can relate to all the comments re. the N.H.S. On the initial visit it was as good as 'you're on your own son' and I was sent hobbling on my way. The subsequent visit after the 4 Day Walks involved seeing the duty doctor who indeed suggested taking our good old friend Ibuprofen.
As you say Matt I was optimistic thinking I would be able to do Days 3 and 4. Should have retired at Soar y Mynydd, lesson learned there I hope. I could hardly walk the morning of Day 3 and here we are, 11 days on and I still can only walk flat footed. Interesting that you mention physiotherapy, I saw a nurse initially on my second visit who was prepared to authorize physio for me, but then suggested I saw the duty doctor for a second opinion. The doctor suggested Ibuprofen! A third visit may be in order if this ankle does not improve over the next week and I will press for physio.
The frozen peas method is a sound suggestion. I tried it after the initial trauma and it was an effective compress which worked well until I ate it! Seriously though, I will have another go because reducing the swelling round the ankle does make walking easier. With the cold water treatment would the addition of ice be worthwhile?
Thanks Matt for all your suggestions and thank you also Bill and David for your alternatives to Ibuprofen. I will investigate.
David you raise an interesting point re. supportive boots. I wear Scarpa SL boots on most challenge walks, they are seriously heavy but extremely tough and offer incredible ankle support. My ankles have been a problem since I was a child and sturdy boots make challenge walks possible for me. I occasionally use light weight footwear on rural walks as I did on the walk home that night from Lydney station.
I know there is argument for and against boots on challenge walks, especially when they are a mandatory requirement. For me, warm dry feet on a wet day is a minor point, but my boots (and ankle supports on the tougher underfoot walks) have saved me from injury many a time.
I am banging my head against the wall with frustration over this but, as it is said.....I,ll be back. (On both the forum and the walks).

Rod.
Author: Bill Lancashire
Posted: Mon 27th Sep 2010, 10:25
I also recommend using a 'topical' anti-inflammatory gel. I've used one called Oruvail Gel (ketoprofen) in the past. Maybe only available on prescription.

Bill.
Posted: Sun 26th Sep 2010, 21:27
I'm afraid the ankle is likely to be weak for several months and each time you aggravate it with a little wobble, it will take a little longer. Get some Voltarol Gel, I wouldn't be without mine, it is an anti inflammatory and pain reliever. It may be an idea to wear more supportive boots in the meantime.
Dave.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sat 25th Sep 2010, 20:47
Local Group: Mid Wales
Hi Rod,
It was me walking with you on day 2 when you limped in, I did think you were being most optimistic in hoping you would be able to carry on the next day, these injuries are horrid. To be honest, I would head for a decent physio (ideally with sports injury expertise), or you could try to wangle one off the NHS from your GP - I managed once for my achilles, otherwise private and pay up. GP's tend to go for the easy and cheap option - Ibuprofen- and loath to waste NHS budgets on physio for some idiot sportsman who has injured himself, unless you are lucky with your GP.
I hate to be pessimistic, but it may take a while, ligaments and tendons are sods to heal. But you won't go far wrong with icing it whenever possible, (frozen peas will do), using hot&cold treatment (immersing foot in alternate buckets of hot and sodding cold water) and stretching excercises, but you need the physio to tell you which ones and probably use ultrasound and maybe acupuncture.
Acupuncture in my achiles was one of lifes little pleasures .......NOT!!!
Matt.
Posted: Sat 25th Sep 2010, 19:21
As you can see, I am new to this. I will continue. About seven weeks ago my left ankle gave way on a track between Lydney train station and my home, a distance of two miles. I was carrying camping gear, clothing and other equipment which resulted in a nasty fall and a severely sprained ankle. After about ten minutes the agonizing pain subsided and I some how managed to walk the rest of the way home (it was much too late to ring anyone for a lift). I could not do much the next day but was in work the following one.
Over the next few weeks the ankle improved (I wore a support) and I walked the marshals 'Where Ravens Dare' with no problems. This gave me the confidence to try the 'Welsh International 4 Day Walks'. Day 1 went by with no problems but day 2 saw me limp the last few miles back to Llanwrtyd Wells unable to push off on the toes of my left foot (I was still wearing the support). I did not walk days 3 or 4 and am still struggling 9 days on with the ligaments unhappy to take weight on the push off- in other words I am walking flat footed on the left foot.
I have seen a doctor and a couple of nurses who have ruled out fractures and recommended anti inflammatory medication (which I am now taking) and exercising the ankle (which work does very nicely!)
Has anyone been in the same boat? I know ligaments take time to heal but is this measured in weeks or months? Above all, why is the problem persisting now when it abated relatively fast after the initial trauma? Is there anything else I can do to speed up the healing process?

Cheers,

Rod.(20977).
Posted: Sat 25th Sep 2010, 18:30
Here is my first post on the forum. I note from the quick search that ankle problems have only been aired on a couple of posts so it will be interesting to see what feed back

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law