Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Access to South West Coast Path

Author: Robert Attwood
Posted: Thu 3rd Mar 2011, 14:39
Local Group: Bristol & West
Have done the complete path walking from Minehead to poole,doing it in 4 or 5 day stints and using public transport or taxis to return to my start point.The best advice to give is to join the South West coast path association which has all the information you need and also do a lovely certificate when you complete.
Author: Peter J Smith
Posted: Thu 3rd Feb 2011, 17:34
Local Group: London
Paul and Joanne

My experience of the SWCP, which I love, has been to do it by multi-day walks using B+Bs. You can plan each trip so you start and finish the trip at towns that are have or are pretty close to a mainline train station. This formula works well.

Enjoy the SWCP!

Peter
Author: Chris Pitt
Posted: Thu 3rd Feb 2011, 12:36
Local Group: Dorset
Sounds like you will be using X53

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/southwest/dorset/timetables/timetable.php?day=1&source_id=2&service=X53/X54&routeid=1936811&operator=7&source=sp

Chris
Author: John Knight
Posted: Wed 2nd Feb 2011, 12:51
Local Group: Anytime Anywhere
An invaluable resourse when planning any linear walk is Traveline: http://www.traveline.info/

There's a link to each of their regional sections, which provide comprehensive public transport information within the region, as well as to major destinations in other regions.

John
Posted: Tue 1st Feb 2011, 20:21
A lot of homework on the net! is the short answer. I have been walking the SWCP for over a year on my days off and have had to trawl through a lot of sites some days in order to get back to my start point, so type into Google "swnage busses" or Exmouth Buses" and you really should'nt go wrong :)
Author: Paul Armstrong
Posted: Fri 24th Sep 2010, 14:06
Local Group: Wessex
Hello

We are new member having joined up after doing the Kielder Challenge and getting the bug.

All the walks we normally do are circular walks as it is easy to access by car. How do people manage long linear walks (We are looking at Swanage to Exmouth on the Sout West Coastal Path) Have had a quick look and it seems a bit of a nightmare getting from Portsmouth to Swanage and then back from Exmouth via public transport.

Is there a hidden secret that we don't know about for getting to the start and end of paths.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law