Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Birmingham Canal Canter

Author: Paul Lawrence
Posted: Fri 24th Sep 2010, 18:25
Local Group: London
A very warm welcome from all the helpers and well done to Heart of England Group for putting on a fine first event. The route was remarkably green, unexpected for the Birmingham suburbs, and very little on road. Interesting conjunctions of several generations of modes of transport on view at the same time in places; learnt a bit about the canals history as well. Thanks also for providing the overnight accommodation at low cost at Ackers, and nice porridge to set us off. And those cakes…!
Author: David Powell
Posted: Fri 24th Sep 2010, 10:53
Local Group: Heart of England
Hi Brian
If you can provide us with photograhic evidence of the injuries you've sustained we may be able to apprehend the guilty party from his/her dental records !!!

Dave we did provide some large print route descriptions at checkin but you had to ask for them. The advantage with sending out details electronically is that people can print them as large as they like. Thanks for your earlier comments.

All - any photos of the event would be greatly appreciated unfortunately we were all too busy "fighting fires" to take many pictures. In particular I'm looking for a photo of a young lady in a full legnth Hijab who completed the event- this could be another LDWA first.

Lost property department - Have a "southwest Drogo 10 blue Tea shirt" and a small umbrella- please contact me by email davedirect@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks to all volanteers and entrants it's been fun.
Dave
Author: David Kearns
Posted: Fri 24th Sep 2010, 9:21
Catherine -- as it was,it was only with great reluctance that I dragged myself away from the checkpoints - especially CP.3 with the huge selection of cakes ... any more food and some of us would never have got round at all.

One very minor grizzle though - next year please could we have the R/D (which was otherwise spot on) in bigger print?

Dave
Author: Brian Marshall
Posted: Thu 23rd Sep 2010, 19:39
Great event with great catering.Well done Heart of England.Pity about the Rottweiler that latched itself onto my bum under one of the canal bridges.I'm sure you had no control over this.Thanks to all the organisers and helpers.for a good day out.
Author: Catherine Mckeever
Posted: Wed 22nd Sep 2010, 13:06
Local Group: Heart of England
As i was helping with the catering at the start/finish i would just like to say how great it was to meet so many lovely people -both other volunteers and all the particpants .This was my first time hosting ,so it's nice to see some positive feedback . Is there anything else we can improve on ?- would people have liked some toast/croissants to start with ? Let us know your comments and hopefully we can do even better next year! Well done to Dave for making it all happen
Cathy
Author: Ian Sage
Posted: Tue 21st Sep 2010, 13:06
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Well done Heart of England on a first class event which was full of surprises. In all the times we have driven over spaghetti junction we didn't realise there was another spaghetti junction underneath! Highlights were the flights of locks after Gas Street, the guillotine lock, the smell from the Cadburys factory and, of course, the magnificent food at the checkpoints and finish. Pat's highlight was finishing her first Marathon event! We hope that you continue with the event.
Pat & Ian Sage
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Mon 20th Sep 2010, 13:20
Local Group: West Yorkshire
I will add my comments of appreciation! This was really interesting. Obviously not the scenery of the National Parks, but fanastic view of Spaghetti Junction, for me intertesting to link up 3 sections which I've run along in separate chunks whilst visiting my sister, food at the checkpoints was brill - porridge and toast at the first one, the most amazing hummous butty at the second, and a choice of cakes at number 3 to rival the best. I did wonder where the 3rd checkpoint was at one point - but I was still some way off the time I'd mentally noted that I would expect to arrive at it. And past things like Cadbury's world and the central shopping/bar area (very up market!), fascinating flights of locks (really narrow going down to Aston). Usual friendly marshals and other entrants. Many thanks. I do hope you do it again next year.
Author: Robert Locock
Posted: Sun 19th Sep 2010, 17:13
This was my first challenge walk.I thought the organisation in general and all the controls were faultless.I do hope you repeat the walk next year.
Author: David Kearns
Posted: Sun 19th Sep 2010, 12:30
In all the 12 years I've been a regular participant in this foolishness we call our sport,I can't recall a challenge event I've enjoyed more. Absolutely excellent in every respect. Many thanks to Dave Powell & his team - hope you put it on again next year

Dave
Author: Kevin McCann
Posted: Sun 19th Sep 2010, 10:54
Local Group: Wessex
I had a great day out in Birmingham. Now that's something I never thought I'd write!

Many thanks to the Heart of England LDWA and Friends of the Earth for putting on a really good event. Top class organisation, wonderful food and, the clue is in the title of the event, an enjoyable route using the extensive canal network.

Many thanks.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law