Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Ideas Forum - Running V's Walking speeds ?

Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sat 14th Jan 2006, 21:32
Local Group: Mid Wales
Ian, I have seen many descending without any style whatsoever!! The point is, given a tough xcountry course without too much flat ground, I don't believe there is any great time difference between a reasonable runner and a good speed walker. In the end the runner will only make ground on the downhill and flat, and he is probably nothing like flat out on the descents, because of the length of the event. The walker is probably conserving energy better overall, and able to push up the inclines at a good speed, also over rough ground. Has anyone any idea of times for previous 100s? Comparing first few runners times to those of genuine speed walkers (not walk/jog)? Matt.
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Sat 14th Jan 2006, 15:48
Local Group: High Peak
i don't run, i just fall down the hills with style
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sat 14th Jan 2006, 15:41
Local Group: Merseystride
I can jog/run around an event for the first dozen miles or so before settling into a firm walk which gradually becomes more pathetic the longer the event. Because I don't really like the mass walker's starts I often choose the runner's start and jog my way to the back of the walking pack, gradually working my way up the field. Am I a runner or a walker ? - Garfield
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sat 7th Jan 2006, 17:38
Local Group: Mid Wales
As a mainly runner I have always been interetsed in walkers speeds. Everytime I stop running some walker is on my shoulder !! I have run the Reservoir roundabout a few times, I usually do about 4.15 - 4.30 depending on weather/fitness and lenght of tea stop. Last year I felt good at half way, so pushed on (lousy conditions) and went round in 3.55, this was my fastest ever. I wanted to have a crack at it today, but a pulled muscle prevents me from running. So I decided to walk it. Well I call it a walk, I reckon I had one foot touching every step - and I certainly NEVER broke into a jog. I do have a bit of a 'scuttle' going downhill - but it ain't a run !! Anyway, I seriously pushed things along and completed in 4.30. I was very surprised, and b****y knackered, I don't believe I could have squeezed any more out. The point is, has anyone else ever tried comparing times over a given route at a 'race walk' pace? Also I believe it really shows there is no great difference between Walkers & Runners (only 4 in front of me)times and the argument against alowing 'runners' in events can become a bit blurred. Matt.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law