Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - The Moors The Merrier

Author: Alan Greenwood
Posted: Sun 8th Aug 2010, 20:18
Local Group: Calderdale
Thanks Garfield. We are encouraged by your comments and your photos make us realise how lucky we are to have Calderdale on our doorstep. Get your entry in early for The Hebden.

The finishing times are available at http://www.alangreenwood.biz/mtm2010/Finishing%20Times.pdf Hope all can view them as my website gave me a lot of trouble today. If not let me know.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sun 8th Aug 2010, 12:09
Local Group: Merseystride
After the Dovedale Dipper the previous weekend, and 9 Welsh summits midweek, I thought I'd be giving my legs a rest by tackling the shorter, 19-mile version of Moors The Merrier. Hmmm. Since when has the Calderdale Valley been anything but steeply-sided? When have the moors been anything but squelchy and tricky to navigate?
The rain kept the mist low on the moors in the early stages, and it was just a case of plodding on through some interesting heritage scenery Jumble Hole Clough was especially interesting. Around lunchtime the mist lifted, the sun peeked through the clouds and it became warm and pleasant. Gorple was magnificent in its isolation, Walshaw is always a lovely spot, and the waterfalls in Lumb Hole were full of the recent rain. Even the final section of moorland to Sheep Stones didn't seem that bad, but I mucked-up the navigation on the final descent.
The venue, St Michael's in Mytholmroyd, was ideal and the end-of-walk food was excellent. Funny how jelly and ice-cream can still seem like a real treat! I also enjoyed the chats with the checkpoint staff - friendly and helpful.
Thanks Carole and Alan, and the rest of the team for a great event. I'll be back next year to do the full version.

Some photos ...
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=253384&id=726015791&l=6d16af6c4a

(Garfield)

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law