Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Facebook for LDWA

Author: Al Rodger
Posted: Sat 28th Aug 2010, 14:56
Local Group: Dorset
Not sure that I understood the question posed by this thread so I sought enlightenment on the our Dorset LDWA facebook group. Ominously, there has so far been no reply to my seeking.

Facebook (& also the likes of Picasca) does provide a zero-cost placement for photo imagery (ie when size is less than squillions of giga-pixels) which can then be referenced on websites & in blogs (like this) or in e-mail list circulations. Beyond that, perhaps I'm missing the point of facebook.

Myself, I still consider the concept of 'instant chat' is facilitated quite adequately by a telephone (& if it's a call-box with an A & B button, or even if the receiving apparatus has a winder & earpiece, so much the better). I would conclude this comment with the rhetorical question 'So has the whole world gone quite mad or is it just me?' except my psychiatrist repeatedly tells me not to keep asking that - even rhetorically.

(Note - the Dorset LDWA facebook group is 'strictly Dorset only'.)
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Mon 26th Jul 2010, 21:12
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Thanks for that Garfield. I didn't know it existed. Group Facebook accounts would be easier if any of them would set up one. I shall contact my own group to see if they will be the first to set one up if another group have not already done so.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Mon 26th Jul 2010, 20:24
Local Group: Merseystride
I set up a Facebook page for those interested in the LDWA some 18 months ago ...
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=44930889351&ref=ts

It currently has 239 members and, like the forums, it has bursts of activity.

I must stress this is a page for "fans" of the LDWA, not an officially sanctioned one. This, I think, is the best approach. And I would see no reason why each Group should not have one.

(Garfield)
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Mon 26th Jul 2010, 19:53
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
I'm not a Facebook addict but I have seen how useful it is to keep in contact with folks and swap photos instantly and even live chat. Would it be possible for each LDWA group to have a Facebook account?
That way it is easy to keep in contact between groups. Swap info. and photos and even instant chat? The individual groups would hold their own passwords and the alloted admin. of that group can keep control over content etc?

Or too complicated? Is anyone even interested!

If no one is interested may I start my own personal LDWA profile without upsetting the committee?! it is useful for chatting and uploading photos for just LDWA friends.

I ask so that I don't upset anyone, because otherwise I will go ahead and invite everyone on the LDWA onto my friends list! I may get half a dozen hopefully!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law