Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - BIRMINGHAM CANAL CANTER

Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Mon 6th Sep 2010, 13:20
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Our "probable" weekend now looks like it's not going to happen, so means I can do this.
Author: David Powell
Posted: Mon 26th Jul 2010, 10:57
Local Group: Heart of England
I'm told the Pope is visiting Birmingham on the 19th of September with a big rally at Cofton Park. So it could be a chance to combine both. The stadiums health and safety man, who is also covering the Popes visit, made it quite clear that we were "small beer" in comparison to dealing with an expected 65,000 people- but then again we could prove him wrong .
Dave
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Sun 25th Jul 2010, 19:50
Local Group: West Yorkshire
I had been looking at this one as my sister lives in Birmingham. What I didn't realise was that the route goes almost past her front door! She lives not far from Sarehole Mill (her kids are quite often dressing up as Gandalf on their theme days). At the moment there's a "probable" weekend away on the calendar, so will have to wait to see whether that goes ahead before entering. I'll tell my sister though!
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Sun 25th Jul 2010, 19:04
Local Group: Marches
This event takes place on 18th September - and we did the marshalls walk a couple of weeks ago which was thoroughly enjoyable and I can honestly say I would recommend this to anyone. This walk would either be a good first 26 miler, or equally pose a challenge to those experienced walkers / runners who want something a bit different - a lot of walks take in beautiful scenery, but the canal network in Birmingham has a beauty and an appeal all of its own and I for one am an avid fan - using parts of the canals featuring in this walk on a daily basis when I cycle to work in Birmingham.

The start is accessible by public transport (Alexander stadium) and accommodation can be arranged for £12.50. The route is an amazing mix of history, industry, and suprisingly rural in places. The route follows the canal network under spaghetti junction and through Birminghams industrial heartlands, and eventually a green belt of land through acocks green which I never knew was there! There are many interesting sites along the way, the ackers, sarehole mill, and lots of pubs, including those at brindley place (ideal for those who want a pint before tackling the last few miles!) Not to mention the home made cakes at checkpoint 3.

Going to be a great event - not to be missed.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law