Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Durham Dales 30

Posted: Mon 28th Jun 2010, 9:29
What a gem this walk was. It was just like the walks we undertook a decade ago.The old fashioned kit check, hardly any runners and lovely friendly folk at checkpoints - in fact its probobly one of the best run events we have ever been on with the back up being more than exemplary.The event is one that we have promised we would attend but never quite got around to - well we have now with absolutely no regrets.For those of you who have not been in this area of the country the scenery is a cross between the North Yorkshire moors and the Yorkshire Dales with a touch of industrial heritage thrown in for good measure- cannot be bad can it?Yes David we also got caught in the storm but what the hell it was warm rain !!For those of you out there get this into your diary for next year - I understand a money back guarantee exists for those who do not enjoy it or succumb to the goodies on offer at checkpoints???
Rod & Yvonne Heywood
Posted: Sun 27th Jun 2010, 22:39
Eileen You must have missed the storm on the moors between CP7 & 8, when the rain lashed down and the thunder, well it thundered. If there were heros on the walk it was the Lass & Lad, who manned CP 8. Peter Still no spell checker and no complaints about the D D and I got there and back with out getting caught in a speed trap.
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Sun 27th Jun 2010, 20:24
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Yes thanks Chris! I'll spread the word indeed. (Chris McDowell's organiser of) Durham Dales 30.

Where is there a better LONG distance challenge up North wonder.. ? Apart from (Tony Deall 's organiser of) 3 Rings of Shap none better... that's 2 to do next year then!

Thanks Paul for the delicious veg curry and naan bread- all handmade!

Got the organisers in anyway.... and the chef!
Posted: Sun 27th Jun 2010, 19:55
Eileen, many thanks for your kind words. The quiche, meat pies, cheese scones and some of the cakes were made by a local bakery (by local, I mean a few hundred yards from the start point!) Peggoty's Tea Shop and Bakery of Wolsingham. The other wonderful cakes and the veggie curry were made by members, who are getting quite a reputation amongst regular entrants as to the quality of their cooking. Much credit should be given to the organiser, Chris MacDowell (Northumbria Group's current secretary) for the work she put in to make the Durham Dales a success. Spread the word!
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Sun 27th Jun 2010, 18:25
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
If anyone needs a longer challenge next year do this. If you like wild remote areas with lots of uphill/downhill do this.

Views exceptional. Checkpoints with those well loved homemade cakes. Banana cake, lemon drizzle, fruit,choc, walnut etc etc. And the most wondeful quiche I have ever tasted in my life! Who made that?
The route was easy to follow and way marked across the first heather moor. Thank you Ron. But the last heather moor after checkpoint 7 was difficult to follow. Why do these paths across heather disappear? Use my compass and bearings next time! Sometimes navigational skills are still required. Use them or lose them is the saying.

Middle in Teesdale midway is a fine market town. The wonderful Northumbrian team had provided basins of water,towels and face cloths to refresh ourselves. I did! it was a warm day.

And tea at checkpoint 7. Luxury.

The final trek involved a soft caressing feel for the feet across the lawns of an upmarket caravan site. Then more caressing of the feet across 3 fields of grass. To the final. To enjoy more quiche,meat pie or wonderful tasting homemade veg curry! Oh, i cheated- I indulged in everything!
And the power showers- fantastic! I said sod to wasting enegy etc- I spent half an hour under them!

Then to listen to the accent lovely accent of the hosts- only a very few speak broad Geordie that you cannot understand. Just smile at them and nod.... or keep saying pardon!

A must for next year!!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law