Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Which Garmin?

Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Sun 5th Sep 2010, 7:48
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Thanks Garfield, yes I bought a power monkey several years ago to use with Road Angel but didn't find it provided much additional life to the battery; perhaps they have improved. As a relatively "new" walker, I find the use of Satmap on a walk allows me to fully follow the progress of a walk led by others. Of course, it is invaluable on occasions where paths are indistinct such as on the North York moors, but battery life is excellent, 16 hrs plus so this gives me the full range of options over a Group - or most Challenge events.

I have recently downloaded the ViewRanger app to iphone and it is useful, provided it's not run in the background - but used as you state in your posting
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sun 29th Aug 2010, 21:40
Local Group: Merseystride
ViewRanger has just won the Sunday Time best app award in the navigation class (and there are over a 1000 navigation iPhone apps now!), and I continue to find it very useful. However, you could not use it to follow a route all day long - as you say, that's not what an iPhone is for. I use it a) to verify where I am and b) to get me through a tricky patch of navigation if need to. I would question the need to slavishly follow a gps all day.

I have bought a PowerMonkey, which is a small charging device which holds two full iPhone charges, and have this in my sack at all times. It's about the size of a pack of extra strong mints and weighs very little. (Garfield)
Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Sun 29th Aug 2010, 9:29
Local Group: East Yorkshire
I've found Satmap the best available GPS but I have recently bought iphone4 so am very interested in the Viewranger software quoted, especially the price. What is the battery life like though, could a 20 mile or so route be followed over an 8 hr - or more - day? I find it iphone needs recharging every day even with limited use of apps and internet use. A lot of gps models also have very limited battery life: Memory Map, Road Angel etc.

John
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Wed 16th Jun 2010, 18:29
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Thanks Garfield. I have a Nokia phone which has GPS. I never thought to download it. Thought it must be rubbish....but I will get out the instructions and give it a try. All this new technology is confusing! But I will attempt to re-educate myself thanks.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Mon 7th Jun 2010, 21:26
Local Group: Merseystride
ViewRanger is still my GPS software of choice. It runs on the iPhone and on most Nokia phones. The former costs £14.99, latter free and the maps are downloadable 10km 1:50,000 or 1:25,000 squares that are way cheaper than any rival. It was top product in a recent Trail comparison.
I've used the Nokia version for three years and have just started using the the iPhone version. Not failed me yet.
(Garfield)
Posted: Mon 7th Jun 2010, 21:02
Thanks Elton. Sorry for the late reply but I've just spotted it!
At £160 second hand these GPS aren't cheap. But then they are very robust I suppose. I will save up my pennies and get one next year maybe! I eventually got a cheap Etrex Summit from ebay- 7 years old and still cost me £50. But it has altitude and will keep me going for a year.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Mon 24th May 2010, 10:03
Local Group: Surrey
Eileen: Neither the Etrex Legend (now discontinued) or the Legend HCx (RRP £199 new) have a barometric altimeter.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=173#specsTab

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8701#specsTab

I would get a secondhand GPSMap 60CSx on eBay: about £160. It tracks altitude gained and lost.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=310#specsTab

I have the 60Cx and 60CSx, both bought on eBay.

Elton
Posted: Sat 22nd May 2010, 21:38
Hi all. I'm looking for a garmin GPS. Basic. But one that tracks ascent reached. Does the Etrex Legend do this? I've looked at the internet but confused as some say log barometric altitude etc! I'm looking to spend £100 or under if possible! Or just over.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law