Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Have we lost the fun factor of the Hundreds?

Author: John King
Posted: Fri 7th May 2010, 11:33
This will only be my 2nd LDWA 100 (done a few other unassociated long distance outings) and my view is that we are all individuals and as such fun means different things to every one of us, for example part of the fun for me is pouring over the map for hours gaining a mental image of the terrain, prior to an event, then on the day I can see if my assumptions gleaned from the map are close to the real thing (usually quite different).

I would never Contemplate a recce of an event or major outing, on ground that is new to me, as another fun element is testing my ability to cover a good distance over unseen ground, in the shortest possible time that allows me to stay in reasonable shape, but then for others there fun is gained by going for a recce, or whatever it is that float`s there boat.

I don`t knock anybody for the way they approach things if it works for them then fine, but one thing I reckon we all have in common is that we all derive fun/pleasure by the simple action of placing one foot in front of the other, in the company of like minded souls, regardless of the way they set out to achieve there goal .
Not sure if the above makes sense but in a nutshell i guess it`s each to there own.

JohnK
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Fri 7th May 2010, 11:12
Local Group: Lakeland
I'm inclined to agree, but places to pop in for a beer or two on the HOS 100 were noticeable by their absence.
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Fri 7th May 2010, 9:19
Local Group: East Yorkshire
In writing this I am not having a go at anybody.

I was out walking with my walking partner, John Wood. yesterday. We both think that maybe the fun factor of walking the 100's is missing with a lot of walkers today.

We entered "our" 100's knowing we was going to have fun, On some of them we laugh so much we cried. Don't get me wrong we had our bad times during the 100's, and yes we have both dropped out of them as well.

We never marked the route out on the map, more times then not the first time I read the route sheet was when we was walking the event. On most of them we would pop in for one or two beers and yes sometimes a bar meal.

I am not saying our way was/is the best way to approach a 100. But it did work for us.

For those of you who are doing a hundred for the first time, please lighten up. Enjoy walking the LDWA showpiece event, after all we are all doing it for fun, aren't we.

ian.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law