2020 AGM Minutes

Minutes of South Manchester Local Group AGM

18th January 2020


1 The Chairman, David Allen opened the meeting held at The Wagon and Horses, Handforth at 14.10 and welcomed and thanked members for attending.

2 Present were:- Avril and David Allen, Quentin Blagg, Dave Gosling, Roger Hand, Bridget Knight, Jean and Steve Osborne, Ann Robinson, Duncan Smith, Ned Spencer, Frank Tonge and Peter Whitehead.  

Apologies from:- David Clift, Michael Magee, Steve Millward and Peter Schick.

3 The minutes of the 2019 AGM were read and passed, Quentin proposed that they be signed, seconded by Bridget. All agreed.

4 No matters arising.

5 The Chairman David reported on activities as per the written report handed round.

The secretary reported on the level of local group membership. As of 18th February 2020, there are 219 members.

6 Bridget handed round the accounts statement. No discussion or clarification was required and David G. proposed and seconded by Ned to accept all reports and agreed nem con.

7 Election of the committee was discussed. Michael Magee is willing to stand as Walks Secretary. David A. had previously indicated he wished to stand down as chairman. Quentin spoke to try and encourage someone younger to stand as Chairman. David A. would do another year and if no-one had come forward then Quentin would take on the position of Chairman again. Positions are as follows:-

Chairman (David Allen), Secretary (Steve), Treasurer (Bridget), Webmaster and Data Inputter (Duncan).

All persons were willing to stand and were elected and thanked for all the hard work they do for this local group. Ann proposed and seconded by Ned, and all duly elected.

7a Steve Millward willing to stand as Accounts Reviewer and was proposed by Bridget, seconded by Roger. All agreed.

8 David G. gave an update on the very successful Goyt Valley Challenge held last October. Provisional date for the event this year is Sunday 18th October.

High Peak will lead and Sth. Manchester help as requested.

8a Suggestions for the GVC surplus:- donations to Air Ambulance, Mend our Mountains, a weekend away-(David G. to pursue). Further Sth. Manchester fleeces, a banner, some kit for The GVC – proper shelters for check points.

There was then discussion and the majority decision was to keep a reserve of £400, with £250 each to the 2 charities and the committee to decide on the remaining £500.


9 New programme for the April STRIDER approved with the comment of few long walks on the programme. A couple of additions suggested, 10 pin bowling on Thursday 5th March, Avril will organise. Jean and Steve O. will hold a summer social in August. Quentin spoke re the Sir Fynwy Marshals 100. Advertise for buddies on recee of walks. Participants are covered by LDWA insurance. David G. will organise the Christmas walk and meal.

10 Bridget will organise the group AGM in 2021, there being no AOB the meeting closed at 15.20

Steve Osborne